Solaris

  • Stevo
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5 12:41 PM
      Just saw the new Stephen Soderbergh version
      thought it pretty cool, but I haven't seen the Tarkovsky version in
      years.

      Liked the musicthough I don't really know the area overwell.
      Kind of Glass -y with near folk undertones.
      Just wondering what other people think of the new version.

      Liked the way they used the backs of soundstage buildings as sets.
      (least that's what tose outside shots look like after being on film
      sites)
      Is that a holdover from the original?
      Stevo
      NP Doors In Concert You make Me real
    • John Eastridge
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5 3:44 PM
        yeah steveo, i enjoyed soderbergh's solaris as well. i liked it a hell of a
        lot more than some other of his films (FULL FRONTAL!!!). i was suprised by
        the overwhelming negative feedback i heard from many people concerning
        solaris. it is thought to be very pretentious by many. the tarkovsky version
        is certainly hard to top, but soderbergh did alarminingly good job. i also
        really liked the music. i watched the credits but did not see any mention of
        a composer or performer.

        does anyone have a copy of the new jandek documentary yet? you can watch the
        trailer at:

        http://www.jandekoncorwood.com

        john!

        >From: "Stevo" <stevolende@...>
        >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [thewire] Solaris
        >Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 20:41:01 -0000
        >
        >Just saw the new Stephen Soderbergh version
        >thought it pretty cool, but I haven't seen the Tarkovsky version in
        >years.
        >
        >Liked the musicthough I don't really know the area overwell.
        >Kind of Glass -y with near folk undertones.
        >Just wondering what other people think of the new version.
        >
        >Liked the way they used the backs of soundstage buildings as sets.
        >(least that's what tose outside shots look like after being on film
        >sites)
        >Is that a holdover from the original?
        >Stevo
        >NP Doors In Concert You make Me real

      • Andrij Kopytko
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5 3:49 PM
          >i watched the credits but did not see any mention of a composer or
          >performer.

          The Solaris soundtrack was composed by Cliff Martinez, who also has
          done soundtracks for The Limey, Traffic, and Sex, Lies & Videotape.
          He's a drummer, I believe.. I think he was in an early line-up of the
          Red Hot Chili Peppers of all things..
        • gradyfinklemyer
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5 9:57 PM
            Soderbergh seems to be getting more pompous and self-important. No!
            Full Frontal isn't smug and pretentious at all! It's a daring
            exploration of film making done with a digital camera. It's
            Soderbergh's entry in the Dogme series. Arf arf. I can't think of a
            more usless movie than Ocean's 11 that I've cringed through recently
            either. I liked seeing George Clooney on Letterman stating that
            Soderbergh "wrote and directed Solaris", with no mention at all made
            of Tarkovsky! I think I'll do a remake of Full Frontal and go on tv
            and tell everyone I wrote and directed it. As far as Soderbergh's
            Solaris goes, I guess some people might enjoy looking at George
            Clooney's ass, but I'm not one of them.

            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo" <stevolende@y...> wrote:
            > Just saw the new Stephen Soderbergh version
            > thought it pretty cool, but I haven't seen the Tarkovsky version in
            > years.
            >
            > Liked the musicthough I don't really know the area overwell.
            > Kind of Glass -y with near folk undertones.
            > Just wondering what other people think of the new version.
            >
            > Liked the way they used the backs of soundstage buildings as sets.
            > (least that's what tose outside shots look like after being on film
            > sites)
            > Is that a holdover from the original?
            > Stevo
            > NP Doors In Concert You make Me real
          • John Jones
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6 1:49 AM
              Yeah, agree - haven't actually seen the remake of
              Solaris but surely Soderbergh is the most overrated,
              useless director of the present day. The Limey, for
              christsakes, was a joke (and that ridiculous cockney
              rhyming banter, lord give me a break!). The bloke
              seems to have a reputation for being 'good with
              actors'; oh great. Pity he can't direct for toffee.

              --- gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@...>
              ---------------------------------

              <stevolende@y...> wrote:
              > Just saw the new Stephen Soderbergh version
              > thought it pretty cool, but I haven't seen the
              Tarkovsky version in
              > years.
              >
              > Liked the musicthough I don't really know the area
              overwell.
              > Kind of Glass -y with near folk undertones.
              > Just wondering what other people think of the new
              version.

              > Liked the way they used the backs of soundstage
              buildings as sets.
              > (least that's what tose outside shots look like
              after being on film
              > sites)
              > Is that a holdover from the original?
              > Stevo
              > NP Doors In Concert You make Me real

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

              UNSUBSCRIBE =
              mailto:thewire-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

              Terms of Service.

              http://uk.my.yahoo.com
            • A.S. Van Dorston
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 6 6:32 AM
                Warren Ellis (the Transmetropolitan comic writer, not member of Dirty
                Three) wrote this, which I agree with:

                I like George Clooney.

                No, not like that.

                Clooney's someone who did an awful
                lot of shit before he got where he is
                today. He's been doing a bunch of
                interesting interviews to support
                SOLARIS and CONFESSIONS OF A
                DANGEROUS MIND, and in one of them
                he commented that whenever he
                turns on the TV at 3am, there he is
                in another terrible show, with another
                terrible hair crime. I think only Jean
                Claude Van Damme tops him for
                the visual archive of hair crimes
                committed over the last twenty
                years.

                Once he found himself in a position
                of power on ER -- in a gift of a role
                as the understated maverick who
                could never lose sympathy because
                he saved children's lives -- he started
                pulling stunts. He was instrumental
                in the episode of ER that the cast did
                live, twice in one night -- once for the
                East Coast, once for the West. Then
                he got involved in producing a remake
                of FAIL SAFE as a piece of live
                televisual theatre. Then came film,
                and starting again, doing some shit,
                clearly relearning how to act again,
                because an acting style that's
                charming on TV just dies on film.
                See how often he looks down, in
                those early films, retains cadences
                from TV. Then he hooked up with
                Steven Soderbergh. His head comes
                up, he learns economy and bigness
                at the same time. And in Soderbergh,
                one of America's cleverer risk-takers,
                he seemed to have found someone
                who thought the same way.

                In another recent interview, he lays
                this out. He says that the nature
                of the film beast is that in five or
                ten years, he won't be allowed in
                front of a camera, let alone behind
                it. So he needs to do the things he
                wants to do now, while he's in the
                position of power to make them
                happen. He comments that SOLARIS
                is flopping domestically, though it'll
                probably make most of its money
                back in foreign markets. But that
                doesn't matter. What matters is
                that they did it. The film is there.
                And it is -- I realise this flies against
                the face of all critics everywhere --
                a good film. I always hesitate to
                use the word "emotional" when
                discussing story, as I fear I sound like
                the wreckage of Francis Ford
                Coppola talking shit about the Godfather
                movies in the beginning of his twilight
                years. But SOLARIS has an unmannered,
                mature emotional complexity to it.
                It is, in fact, a Seventies art-film.
                It gets the best performance I've
                ever seen from Natasha McElhone,
                and Clooney is clearly fucking with
                his perceived star persona as the
                chilly, damaged psychiatrist. One
                of the character's friends calls him
                "a nihilist shrink."

                I grabbed the original Soderbergh
                script down from script-o-rama.com,
                and there are some interesting cuts.
                Anything that added to the science-
                fictional tone of the film got cut. It's
                all in the inference in the finished
                film. It's genre deconstruction,
                concentrating on the thing the majority
                of sf doesn't do -- creating a real
                life in the relationships.

                It may not be what anyone wanted
                to see, but it's the film they wanted
                to make.

                At similar peaks, people in Clooney's
                position tend to do things that will
                maintain or crest that peak. Running
                to stand still. There's something
                admirable in someone who says,
                now I'm going to do the things I need
                to do until they kick me off the peak.

                At 09:49 AM 3/6/03 +0000, you wrote:
                >Yeah, agree - haven't actually seen the remake of
                >Solaris but surely Soderbergh is the most overrated,
                >useless director of the present day. The Limey, for
                >christsakes, was a joke (and that ridiculous cockney
                >rhyming banter, lord give me a break!). The bloke
                >seems to have a reputation for being 'good with
                >actors'; oh great. Pity he can't direct for toffee.
              • David Beardsley
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 8 7:30 AM
                  From: "Andrij Kopytko" <andrij3@...>

                  > The Solaris soundtrack was composed by Cliff Martinez, who also has
                  > done soundtracks for The Limey, Traffic, and Sex, Lies & Videotape.
                  > He's a drummer, I believe.. I think he was in an early line-up of the
                  > Red Hot Chili Peppers of all things..

                  He was also in Capt. Beefheart's Magic Band - Ice Cream for Crow.

                  * David Beardsley
                  * microtonal guitar
                  * http://biink.com/db
                • dgromfin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 8 2:14 PM
                    > > He's a drummer, I believe.. I think he was in an early line-up of
                    the Red Hot Chili Peppers of all things..

                    > He was also in Capt. Beefheart's Magic Band - Ice Cream for Crow.

                    And the old school LA punk in me has to remind y'all that he was also
                    in the Weirdos and the Dickies...

                    danny