Unofficial Wire Audio Companion update

  • Vincent Kargatis
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2003
      Hi all,

      I've been lax over the holidays and more, so the Unofficial Wire Audio
      Companion (not affiliated with The Wire) has been a few issues behind
      recently, but I've recently updated it, so music pointers from Nov
      2002-Feb 2003 issues have been added, including some of January's Rewind
      2002 (best of the year) entries.

      http://thewire.kargatron.net/

      Please note that I'm in as much need of volunteer help as ever. Besides
      some welcome but scarce help, I compile most of the entries myself, so
      the site's not nearly as comprehensive as it could be, if more people
      chipped in - it will only grow as a community effort. Here're my
      suggestions for possible help, noted also at the site:

      There are a lot of records reviewed in The Wire each month, and one
      person cannot find all the audio links that are out there. So you can
      help make this a much better resource, in a variety of ways:

      "Adopt a label" - Choose a label or two (your favorites, whatever), and
      every issue, see if any releases from them are reviewed. Then check to
      see if the label offers any audio samples - if so, send in the info.
      This takes very little time, and if enough people did it, it would net a
      lot of links!

      "Adopt a month" - Choose a single issue from the year and search for as
      many links as possible from everything reviewed. This takes a number of
      hours, of course, but hey, it'd only be once a year! (And of course
      you'd get listed as compiler for that issue.)

      "Adopt a review section" - Choose a genre review section (Critical
      Beats, Jazz & Improv, Outer Limits, etc), and dig up anything from that
      section each month. Like the above, except a lot smaller scale, so not
      unreasonable, right?

      Supply your own - If you have web space and rip mp3s from CDs you own,
      you can host of few (to which the Companion will point) when reviewed in
      The Wire

      Keep an eye out - If you run across some audio links, and you know the
      releases were reviewed in The Wire, send in the info - one-offs are
      welcome.

      Dave Trussler has volunteered to adopt the Electronica review section -
      thanks Dave! And thanks to everyone who has passed on pointers for me
      to include.

      Additions, suggestions, comments, questions welcome. Feel free to
      forward this to interested parties, or tell me who I should send it to.
      --
      Vincent Kargatis
      np: London Improvisers Orchestra - "Ellington 100" (Proceedings)