rip: Lou Harrison

  • Fran├žois Couture
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2003
      News just in. Lou Harrison got a beautiful feature article in The Wire last
      year (August).

      Francois Couture
      Writer/journalist specialized in demanding music
      Writer for the All-Music Guide
      Producer of Delire Actuel, CFLX.

      Personal webpage / Page personnelle: http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
      Visitez / Visit the All-Music Guide at http://www.allmusic.com

      ***
      (Begin forwarded message)

      Last night, while traveling from Chicago to Columbus, Lou Harrison passed
      away. We had sent Adam Schweigert and Joe Panzner, two students in
      Composition and Theory, to Chicago with a University van to greet Lou and
      his traveling companion, Todd Burlingame, and drive them back to campus for
      the Festival. Lou does not like to fly and took the train, the California
      Zephyr, from near San Francisco to Chicago. The train arrived at about
      5:15 PM. While en route to Indianapolis, their overnight destination,
      Adam, Joe, Lou and Todd decided to stop at a Denny's restaurant in
      Lafayette, Indiana, for some dinner. Lou stumbled and fell upon getting
      out of the vehicle and apparently suffered a heart attack. He had great
      difficulty breathing. Paramedics were called and they arrived within
      minutes. Lou was transported to the hospital but was unable to be revived.
      He passed away around 9 or 9:30 PM. We are awaiting the coroner's
      report for final confirmation of the cause of death.

      This is a great tragedy for the entire world of music. Lou was as excited
      about the Festival as we were. Our sympathies go out to all in the world
      of music and dance who treasured his great gift. I will always remember
      the joy in his voice when we spoke over the telephone about the Festival.
      He was an active participant in planning the concerts. He had also
      prepared a special seminar for OSU students in composition. He was very
      much looking forward to the CSO performances of his Third Symphony in a
      final revision that he had just completed. He told me how honored he felt
      to have so many of his compositions performed on the Festival. Let
      everyone know that the Festival will go on as planned as a tribute to this
      legendary American musician.

      Lou Harrison will be cremated today; his remains shipped back to
      California. He was eighty-five years old.

      Donald Harris, Professor of Composition & Theory
      School of Music, The Ohio State University
      301 Weigel Hall
      1866 College Avenue
      Columbus, Ohio 43210-1170
      telephone: (614) 688-4728; fax: (614) 292-1102
      home phone: (614) 459-8656; home fax (614) 459-8757

      ------ End of Forwarded Message