[TheWire]

  • A.S. Van Dorston
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2002
      Okay, so there's an enticing review of The Soft Pink Truth * Do You Party? in the new Wire -- a solo disco project from one of the Matmos guys. Yet from my Internet searches, it doesn't exist yet...

    • A.S. Van Dorston
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2002
        Okay, I finally found some more info. No more panic to get it before the
        polls are in, it doesn't come out 'til Jan.

        Revenge Of The Nerd http://www.jockeyslut.com/magazine/pulse/three.html

        Imagine Matthew Herbert getting jiggy to Miami bass. Unpleasant as that
        thought may be keep it in your head whilst Drew Daniel, the brains and
        balls behind the twisted sex-tech of Soft Pink Truth, explains why giving
        electronica a (meat) injection of lascivious fun on his 'Do You Party?' LP
        is A Good Thing.

        "I was at a party hosted by an on-line group called Intelligent Dance
        Music," says the San Francisco resident, "and I started dancing. Everyone
        there stared at me with complete horror. These people spend their time
        discussing what Aphex has for breakfast, so it's a backlash against all
        that seriousness. But it's still geeky, I guess."

        Still, tracks like 'Big Booty Bitches' - "My mom's favourite!" he claims -
        and forthcoming single 'Promofunk' pay no heed to the herd mentality as
        glitchy electro grooves squelch amongst R'n'B's sloppy seconds. "The chimes
        on R'n'B ballads are so terrible that I had to have one!" he laughs. "But
        what the UK media calls electro is really synthpop - I want you to put that
        in capital letters." It's a world away from his early days breakdancing in
        Kentucky - "Hardly the Bronx," Drew admits - or his day job in Matmos, the
        group who programmed Bjork's 'Vespertine' to perfection. Soft Pink Truth
        was conceived after Matthew Herbert asked him to make some house music for
        his label when the pair met in Paris.
        "It's a guilty pleasure for me," Drew says of the album, "because I've
        never been into house music. So it belongs on the dancefloor but in a
        dysfunctional way."

        Much like the man at a local gay club who unwittingly inspired Drew's
        pseudonym. "Everyone calls him Soft Pink Missy," Drew confides, 'because he
        takes so much crystal meth that he can't get it up."

        Soft Pink Truth, on the other hand, have really risen to the occasion.

        'Promofunk' is released on October 14. 'Do You Party' is out early next
        year. Both are on
        Soundslike

        At 08:38 AM 12/9/02 -0800, you wrote:

        >Okay, so there's an enticing review of The Soft Pink Truth * Do You Party?
        >in the new Wire -- a solo disco project from one of the Matmos guys. Yet
        >from my Internet searches, it doesn't exist yet...

        Fast 'n' Bulbous Music Webzine
        www.fastnbulbous.com

        Fast 'n' Bulbous Radio presents Fester's Bucket O' Nasties
        www.live365.com/stations/fastnbulbous

        Help save Internet radio, write to Congress
        http://www.voiceofwebcasters.org/smallwebfax.htm