top 10 time?

  • jamello@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2002
      What the hell, might as well get a ball rolling...not much else happening on
      this list anyway!

      Perhaps not the "best" (and only nominally Wire-ish) but instead my most
      enjoyed stuff this year, in no particular order (a few from before 2002 but
      new to me):

      Devendra Banhart - Oh Me Oh My
      The Donnas - Spend the Night
      Soundtrack of Our Lives - Behind the Music
      Estompen - Monitorwelt.rar
      Kristian Hoffman - &
      Spoon - Kill the Moonlight
      Wire - Burn & Read, parts 1 and 2
      Liars - They Threw Us All In a Trench and Stuck a Monument On Top
      2 Many DJs - As Heard on Radio Soulwax, Pt. 2

      Honorable Mentions:
      Painting my apartment
      Saccharine Trust - We Became Snakes (from 1986!)
      Theboylucas - Out of the Wires
      Closer Musik - After Love
      Jason Lowenstein - At Sixes and Sevens
      Deerhoof - Reveille
      Original Sinners - Original Sinners
      Errorsmith - Errorsmith 2
      "Cremaster 3" (film and soundtrack)
      Mini-pretzels
      Cinnamon sugar bagel chips

    • Vincent Bergeron
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2002
        My top 10...

        1) Tujiko Noriko Hard Ni Sasete
        2) Alain Bashung L'imprudence
        3) Interpol Turn On The Bright Lights
        4) Boards Of Canada Geogaddi
        5) Bob Drake Skull Mailbox (and other horrors)
        6) Sigur Rós ()
        7) Tom Waits Blood Money / Alice
        8) Schneider TM Zoomer
        9) Xiu Xiu Knife Play
        10) Clinic Walking With Thee

        Mentions to Wilco, Fen O'Berg, And You Will..., Jim O'Rourke "I'm Happy, And I'm Singing..." (heard this year)
[...]

        TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

      • .formatt
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 8, 2002
          quite a good year, 2002, so it's a top 20 this time.. =)

          01, Elaine Radigue - Andos I-III (The Table Of The Elements)
          02, Henri Chopin - Revue OU (Agla Marghen)
          03, Jan Jelinek + Computer Soup (Audiosphere)
          04, Philip Jeck - Stoke (Touch)
          05, v/a - Strewth! (Synaesthesia)
          06, Philip Jeck + Jacob Kirkegaard - Soaked (Touch)
          07, Motion - Dust (12k)
          08, Köhn - Koen (k-raa-k)3
          09, Mummy Fortuna's Theater Company - Born Of Man And Flies (Lexrecords)
          10, Pita - Get Down (Mego)
          11, Asmus Tietchens - y-menge (Ritornell)
          12, Req - Sketchbook (Warp)
          13, Jòhan Jòhannson - Englaborn (Touch)
          14, Staalplaat Sound System - Sweet Sissy And The Ballroom Hiss (Staalplaat)
          15, Ant - Uncontrolled Enviroment Ep (Angstrom Records)
          16, v/a - Klangmachine_Soundmachine (Ritornell)
          17, Mùm - Finally We Are No One (Fat Cat)
          18, Agf - Head Slash Bauch (Orthlorng Musork)
          19, Janek Schaefer - Pulled Under (Audioh)
          20, Boom Bip + Doseone - Circle (Leaf)

          grtz,
          peter

          ++ http://users.pandora.be/formatt ++
        • Andrew Cox
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 8, 2002
            And why not? In no particular order:

            Derek Bailey: Ballads
            Guitar: Sunkissed
            Low: Trust
            Ms. John Soda: No p. or d.
            The Notwist: Neon Golden
            Tom Opdahl: Black Smoker
            Pan American: The River Made No Sound
            Philip Samartzis + Sachiko M: Artifact
            Theorem: THX: Experiments in Synchronicity
            Ralf Wehovsky / Kevin Drumm: Cases
            Otomo Yoshihide / Keith Rowe / Taku Sugimoto: Ajar
          • François Couture
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 8, 2002
              OK, here we go, in no particular order (slimming down to 10 titles is hard
              enough without crowing a #1, #2, and what not).

              Mike Adcock & Clive Bell, Sleep It Off, Emanem
              Richard Chartier, Bernhard Günter & Steve Roden, (For Morton Feldman),
              Trente Oiseaux
              Bob Drake, The Skull Mailbox (And Other Stories), ReR Megacorp
              Ekkehard Ehlers, Ekeehard Ehlers Plays, Staubgold
              Kristoff K.Roll, Le Petit Bruit d¹à côté du coeur du monde, Vand¹oeuvre
              morceaux_de_machines, Liberum Arbitrium, No Type
              Nous Perçons les Oreilles, La Vie c¹est simple, Ambiances Magnétiques
              Palinckx, Momentum & Wag, Vonk
              Hans Reichel, Yuxo: A New Daxophone Operetta, a/l/l
              Spunk, Den Øverste Toppen Pa en Blamalt Flaggstang, Rune Grammofon

              + an 11th for best reissue: Ground Zero, Plays Standards (ReR Megacorp)

              It was a good year for me, I hope it was for you too,

              Francois Couture
              Writer/journalist specialized in demanding music
              Writer for the All-Music Guide
              Producer of Delire Actuel, CFLX.

              Personal webpage / Page personnelle: http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
              Visitez / Visit the All-Music Guide at http://www.allmusic.com
            • Olivier Borzeix
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 8, 2002
                My top 20 for the last months, one year is too long a time for me to tell
                what I liked most... in no particular order now how silly (Lazy?) hey? he he

                Black Dice "Beaches and Canyons"
                Ryoji Ikeda "Mort aux Vaches"
                Acid Mothers Temple "Univers Zen"
                Jennifer Gentle & Makoto Kawabata "The wrong Cage"
                Iannis Xenakis "Persepolis + remixes"
                Ekkehard Ehlers "Plays"
                Godspeed you! black emperor "Yanqui U.X.O."
                Derek Bailey & Susie Ibarra "BIDS"
                Polwechsel/Fennesz "Warpped Islands"
                Philip Jeck "Stoke"
                Jeck/Yoshihide/Tetreault "Invisible architecture 1"
                MIMEO w/ John Tilbury "The hands of Caravagio"
                Sigur Rós "( )"
                Do Make Say Think "& Yet & Yet"
                Fly Pan Am "Ceux qui inventent n'ont jamais vécu"
                Fenn'O'Berg "The return of fenn'o'berg"
                Charlemagne Palestine "Music for Big Ears"
                Acid Mothers Temple "In C"
                Set Fire To Flames "Sings reign rebuilder"
                John Zorn's Filmworks XIII "Invitation to a suicide"

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 8, 2002
                  My ten:

                  The Notwist - Neon Golden
                  Laub � Filesharing
                  Schneider TM - Zoomer
                  Farben - Textstar
                  Ms. John Soda - No p. or d.
                  M�m - Finally We Are No One
                  Kaito � Special Life
                  Scion � Arrange and Process Basic Channel Tracks
                  Anti-Pop Consortium - Arrhythmia
                  Lightning Bolt � The Power of Salad (Film by Peter Glantz and Nick Noe)

                  Honorables:

                  Thomas Brinkmann � Row
                  Ekkehard Ehlers - Ekeehard Ehlers Plays
                  Black Dice � Beaches and Canyons
                  Guitar -: Sunkissed
                  Playgoup � PartyMix V.1

                • John Jones
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 9, 2002
                    Lee Hazlewood - These Boots are Made for Walking: MGM
                    Years
                    Schneider TM - Zoomer
                    Various - Barry 7's Connectors 2
                    BBC Radiophonic Workshop - BBC Radiophonic Music
                    Augustus Pablo - Skankin' With Pablo
                    Tom Waits - Alice
                    Anti-Pop Consortium - Arrhythmia
                    Yo La Tengo - Sounds of Science
                    - Nuclear War ep
                    Flaming Lips - Yoshima Battles Pink Robots

                    http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                  • John Gibson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 10, 2002
                      Off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

                      Lambchop - Is a Woman
                      V/A - Montreal Smoked Meat
                      Tomas Jirku - Entropy
                      Ekkehard Ehlers - Plays
                      snd - Tender Love
                      BoC - Geogaddi
                      Do Make Say Think - & Yet & Yet
                      The Necks - Aether (maybe released last year?)
                      Andrew Pekler - Station to Station
                      Liars - They Threw Us All in a Trench...

                      JOHN

                      www.groovesmag.com
                    • Pablo Bernet
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 10, 2002
                        My Top Tens in this time (no order)

                        - Thomas Fehlmann - Visions of Blah
                        - Antonelli Electric - Love and Other Solutions
                        - Luciano - Live at Weemix
                        - Mike Shannon - Slight of hand
                        - Lawrence - Lawrence
                        - Biosphere - Shenzou