An example of disc rot

  • reddye6 <reddye6@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2002
      Maybe some of the more knowledgeable among you can shed some light. I
      have a couple older disc in which the non-label side of the Cd has
      turned a golden or bronze color. At first I thought it was disc rot,
      but after checking out some of the info on other sites, I'm not so
      sure.

      They aren't discs manufactured by PDO, the coloring is mainly on the
      non-label side as opposed to the label site, and it's a uniform color -
      - the entire side of the discs is completely golden (it doesn't look
      like there was any color creep from the outside of the discs to the
      inside). And as of now they play fine. But if they're doomed to be
      screwed in the near future, I'd like to replace them now. Any advice?

      Oh, and the discs are from the early '90s, when many of the disc rot
      discs were manufactured.

      (if anyone cares what they are, one is Test Dept's "Proven in Action"
      and the other is the Extreme label's "X-X Section" compilation)

      thanks,
      Mike