Not so much "peeved" anymore

  • Fractured Music
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
      OK so my November issue finally arrived on December 2nd. All is good in Woburn, MA. Call back the hounds all is good in the world again. Though I will say at first glance 20 years condensed into 10 pages seems a bit half hearted. I did read Rob Young's "Editors Idea" and I guess it makes sense since nobody on the staff has been there longer than 1992. Which to me seems quite odd anyway. How about a piece on what the founders and originators think of the current Wire.
      Now where is my December issue!!!!!!<ha ha>

      ---Varjak

    • Rob Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2002

        >Message: 1
        > Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:39:02 -0500
        > From: "Fractured Music" <fracturedmusic@...>
        >Subject: Not so much "peeved" anymore
        >
        >OK so my November issue finally arrived on December 2nd. All is good
        >in Woburn, MA. Call back the hounds all is good in the world again.
        >Though I will say at first glance 20 years condensed into 10 pages
        >seems a bit half hearted. I did read Rob Young's "Editors Idea" and
        >I guess it makes sense since nobody on the staff has been there
        >longer than 1992. Which to me seems quite odd anyway. How about a
        >piece on what the founders and originators think of the current Wire.
        >Now where is my December issue!!!!!!<ha ha>
        >
        >---Varjak

        Half-hearted!!?? You've got to be joking, surely? We were afraid
        people would think even 10 pages was self-indulgent of us. I can
        assure you there was nothing half-hearted about the way that feature
        was put together. We were absolutely up to our eyeballs in back
        issues in the period while that piece was assembled.

        As for founders and originators, there is a long comment from
        Chrissie Murray, the first publisher who was there when Anthony Wood
        set up the magazine. We tried to contact Wood for his comments but he
        is a very elusive character - all the phone and fax numbers we were
        given for his whereabouts were either dead or kept ringing out with
        no answer machine. Read on: all the previous editors, publishers etc
        who are quoted do indeed offer their opinions on the current Wire.

        Rob
        --
        _______________________________________
        Rob Young

        THE WIRE: Adventures In Modern Music
        20th ANNIVERSARY 1982-2002

        2nd Floor East
        88-94 Wentworth Street
        London
        E1 7SA UK

        Tel 020 7422 5010
        Fax 020 7422 5011
        Direct line 020 7422 5012

        http://www.thewire.co.uk
      • Fractured Music
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2002
          Hello Rob,
          As I said "at first glance". I haven't even had a chance to run my eyeballs through the words. Knowing that you and the Wire staff have never let me down in the past. I will only expect the best. I guess "half hearted" was a poor choice of words. I'm sure condensing twenty years of a magazine into anything is a chore in itself. I'm glad I spoke to soon about the founders and originators and am happy we get to here from past members of the magazine.

          By the way I'm also quite glad to see a piece on the Anticon collective. Check out the brilliant new Subtle CD "Winter". Another cLOUDEAD / This Mortal Coil / Geir Jensen type soundscape.
          Running a record shop that is a bit like Hornby's "Championship Vinyl" has given me the opportunity to corrupt a few ears and minds with some Anticon. Hopefully the Wire will open up some more.

          Apologies again
          Ciao
          ----Varjak