Re: electronica's mad scientists

  • Auricle Communications
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 1999
      It seems like you mean "come down from their mountains" instead of stop coming down. Please explain.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 1999
        No, I meant what I initially said. The sentence was a (mixed) metaphor
        for what will happen when the current electronica trend *ends*.
        Hopefully my previous post didn't imply to anyone the view that all
        electroacoustic music is irrelevant. Simply, a lot of what's being
        marked now, whether as "rediscovered genius" or inevitably, "boy [or
        Queen . . .] wonder", is overrated rot of no significance, except
        possibly as a footnote somewhere.

        >It seems like you mean "come down from their mountains" instead of stop
        coming down. Please explain.

        >It's not the instruments that matter in music. If nothing else
        >electronica shows that interested artists can make anything sound
        >interesting.
        >
        >Ideas and emotions drive music like all art. When all the "mad
        >scientists" of electronica stop coming down from their mountains all
        the
        >heaps of shit written about them will slowly compost away to reveal the
        >poverty of their constructions.

      • Davis Ford
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 1999
          >No, I meant what I initially said. The sentence was a (mixed) metaphor
          >for what will happen when the current electronica trend *ends*.
          >Hopefully my previous post didn't imply to anyone the view that all
          >electroacoustic music is irrelevant. Simply, a lot of what's being
          >marked now, whether as "rediscovered genius" or inevitably, "boy [or
          >Queen . . .] wonder", is overrated rot of no significance, except
          >possibly as a footnote somewhere.
          >
          >>It seems like you mean "come down from their mountains" instead of stop
          >coming down. Please explain.

          I wouldn't really consider the term 'electroacoustic' and 'electronica' to
          be metaphors.

          To argue that one area is more relevant than another is a moot point
          (especially in a general context). It is relative to one's personal
          listening habits. There can also exist a certain ignorant bias, which was
          so eloquently displayed in that letter in the new Wire which started this
          music has to offer and through deep, critical analysis, has come to the
          conclusion that it just isn't a worthwhile entity. On the other hand, I
          just have this hunch he hasn't. Whether it be lack of time, money, or
          interest for him, it's no skin off my back. There is too much *good* music
          to be discovered in all areas, to waste time complaining.

          Davis