Fwd: Merzbow Marathon

  • d. daniell
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2002
      picked this up on a list for the radio station WREK in Atlanta, Georgia,
      USA, and thought it was worth passing along - two straight days of Merzbow
      to be broadcast on this radio station in December. see attached
      press-release.

      -dwd

    • d. daniell
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2002
        d. daniell said:
        > picked this up on a list for the radio station WREK in Atlanta, Georgia,
        > USA, and thought it was worth passing along - two straight days of
        > Merzbow to be broadcast on this radio station in December. see attached
        > press-release.

        didn't realize the PDF would be deleted - here's the press-release in
        straight text:

        WREK 91.1 FM - Georgia Tech Student Radio
        165 Eighth Street N.W.
        Atlanta, GA 30332-0630
        voice: (404) 894-2468 fax: (404) 894-6872 web: www.wrek.org

        WREK TO AIR TWO-DAY MERZBOW
        MARATHON DECEMBER 18-20:
        Unprecedented airing of massive collection of 20 years
        of works by "extreme" Japanese artist

        On December 18th starting at 7 PM and lasting through the
        19th and 20th WREK will be making history by broadcasting
        Merzbow's entire MerzBox collection without interruption.
        Merzbow [Mertz-bow] is the premier noise artist from Japan.
        Masami Akita [Ma-simi A-keet-a], the one-man driving force
        behind Merzbow, studied literature and visual arts in
        college and was heavily influenced by Salvador Dali. He
        began his experimentation in noise music by playing with
        broken tape recorders and broken instruments back in 1979.
        Since then, Akita has been featured on hundreds of albums,
        including the culmination of Merzbow’s artistic work, the
        Merzbox. The MerzBox is a 50-CD set containing 30 reissues
        from 1979 to 1997, and 20 discs of unreleased material. It
        remains the largest musical statement in the history of
        noise music, and WREK intends to make history by being the
        first station to play all 50 CDs back to back without
        interruption.

        Some critics do not consider Merzbow’s creations valid music.
        However, Alex LaRoche, WREK's Program Director and the main
        force behind the Merzbow Marathon, argues that, "On first
        listen, the music of Merzbow may seem to be pure noise and
        free of melody or structure, but there are musical systems
        beyond the western 12-note tonal scale that most people are
        familiar with. Merzbow has been at this for 20 years, and
        I think that after 20 years of improv in any genre, new
        structures can be found."

        There is no dispute that he is one of the pioneers of the
        genre. According to AMG (All Music Guide), "There is no need
        to argue: Merzbow stands as the most important artist in
        noise music" and he is sometimes referred to as the king of
        noise. Merzbow has been producing cutting edge noise music
        since 1979, although his first official American release
        "Venereology" was not released until 1994.

        Beginning in 2003, WREK, Georgia Tech's all student-run radio
        station, will be celebrating its 35th year of broadcasting
        at 91.1 FM. WREK pioneered Internet broadcasting in 1994
        with the launch of streaming content on www.wrek.org and
        continues to break new ground on the internet by offering
        online listeners a weeklong archive in MP3 format. WREK
        proudly brings quality diverse programming to our listeners
        by offering everything from big band jazz to the upcoming
        Merzbow marathon beginning December 18th. In addition to
        WREK’s cutting edge music programming, we broadcast news
        and analysis of current events that people cannot hear
        anywhere else in Atlanta.

        For more information on Merzbow in general:
        http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Music/Styles/Experimental/Noise/Bands_and_Artists/Merzbow/

        Or for imformation about the MerzBox (the 50 CD box set):
        http://www.xtr.com/main1.asp?cataloguenumber=XLTD-003

        For more information on WREK:
        http://www.wrek.org/

        To contact WREK: