Re: Pulse minimalism

  • The Giant
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 1999
      I'm not sure about "pulse minimalism," seeing as how a) pulse usually
      referred to the early bit of technology he used in the mid-to-late '60s,
      like monophonic keyboards, tone generators, etc., and b) i can't really
      think of any current composers/musicians who would refer to themselves as
      such, BUT...

      Check out Balinese/Javanese gamelan music for cyclical and repetitive
      structures that greatly influenced Reich. The non-Western notion of time is
      a big influence upon Glass, Reich, Young, etc., and its most definitely
      worth it.

      >From: "Little Bear" <sillygoose55@...>
      >

      >I've been listening to Steve Reich recently and I like his music a lot.
      >I've been told that it is called 'pulse minimalism'.
      >Could anybody recommend any other pulse-minimalist musicians to me?
      >
      >Rob

      The Giant
      36 Armstrong Ave #1
      Providence RI 02903-4445
      (401) 421-3597
    • Little Bear
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 1999
        I've been listening to Steve Reich recently and I like his music a lot.
        I've been told that it is called 'pulse minimalism'.
        Could anybody recommend any other pulse-minimalist musicians to me?

        Rob
      • Harvey Devoe Thornburg
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 1999

          > From: "Little Bear" <sillygoose55@...>
          >

          > I've been listening to Steve Reich recently and I like his music a lot.
          > I've been told that it is called 'pulse minimalism'.
          > Could anybody recommend any other pulse-minimalist musicians to me?

          I've never heard Reich referred to as "pulse minimalism". Maybe
          "phase minimalism", because he was interested in short repetitive
          structures giving rise to longer movements by their going in and
          out of phase. For me, "pulse minimalism" means music based around
          electronic pulses, with an interest in evoking old and new
          communications technology. I would cite Kraftwerk "Radio-Activity"
          as being a prime classic example of this; more contemporary examples
          include of course Pan(a)sonic, Ryoji Ikeda, and Carsten Nicolai, and
          probably lots of others I don't know about.

          --Harvey

          > Rob

        • Davis Ford
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 1999
            >I'm not sure about "pulse minimalism," seeing as how a) pulse usually
            >referred to the early bit of technology he used in the mid-to-late '60s,
            >like monophonic keyboards, tone generators, etc., and b) i can't really
            >think of any current composers/musicians who would refer to themselves as
            >such, BUT...
            >
            >Check out Balinese/Javanese gamelan music for cyclical and repetitive
            >structures that greatly influenced Reich. The non-Western notion of time is
            >a big influence upon Glass, Reich, Young, etc., and its most definitely
            >worth it.

            I second this motion. I recently got some gamelan for the first time
            ("Yogyakarta: Gamelan of the Kraton" Celestial Harmonies,
            http://www.harmonies.com) , and I was completely taken with it. The way
            they use time is absolutely hypnotic. It defies how my ear has been trained
            to expect things, which is a great experience in and of itself.

            Davis
          • bgwaters
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 1999
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 1999
                I dont really have a problem with the term 'pulse minimalism'.
                In fact in some ways its more relevant to works such as '18',
                it definately has a pulsing nature. In fact on the recent nonesuch
                release the first and last tracks are titled 'pulses'.