throbbing gristle box set

  • gradyfinklemyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
      Wow, just received an email from Wire HQ advertising a new 24 cd
      Throbbing Gristle box set! That might even trump the Merzbox in
      the "unlistenable and pointless" stakes! I remember listening to one
      of their live discs, and wincing with pain from the high pitched
      sounds on offer. "Industrial music for..." prats? Does history confer
      worth on everything that was once worthless?
    • simonfay2001
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
        --- In thewire@y..., "gradyfinklemyer" <gradyfinklemyer@y...> wrote:
        > Wow, just received an email from Wire HQ advertising a new 24 cd
        > Throbbing Gristle box set! That might even trump the Merzbox in
        > the "unlistenable and pointless" stakes! I remember listening to
        one
        > of their live discs, and wincing with pain from the high pitched
        > sounds on offer. "Industrial music for..." prats? Does history
        confer
        > worth on everything that was once worthless?

        I'm wondering if anything whose marginality ever attracted defiant
        notice from a few cult-makers in the last 30-50 years will eventually
        be subjected to a deluxe shrine-building.

        'Metal Machine Music' was performed early this year by the
        remorselessly pan-avant Zeitkratzer ensemble, at some New Music
        festival or other attended by delegates from the University of Mille
        Plateaux. Here's hoping they succeed in orchestrating every apparent
        gesture of rebellion ever enacted. I gather Steppenwolf Theater
        Company is interested in staging the entire 'The Prisoner' TV series
        as a 3-week long mystery-play.

        Stop me if...etc Current 93 - good entry-point?

        Anyone know anything of a Techno comp from 10 years back
        called 'Panic In Detroit'?

        thanks

        SF

        np: Rihm conducts Locked Groove facsimiles of the Sex Pistols Thames
        barge motor
      • Jim Flannery
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2002
          simonfay2001 wrote to wire:

          s> --- In thewire@y..., "gradyfinklemyer" <gradyfinklemyer@y...> wrote:

          gfm>> Wow, just received an email from Wire HQ advertising a new 24 cd
          gfm>> Throbbing Gristle box set! That might even trump the Merzbox in
          gfm>> the "unlistenable and pointless" stakes! I remember listening to
          gfm>> one of their live discs, and wincing with pain from the high
          gfm>> pitched sounds on offer. "Industrial music for..." prats? Does
          gfm>> history confer worth on everything that was once worthless?

          s> I'm wondering if anything whose marginality ever attracted defiant
          s> notice from a few cult-makers in the last 30-50 years will eventually
          s> be subjected to a deluxe shrine-building.

          Well y'know, this set is a *reissue* of a cassette release that sold out
          almost immediately on its first release & spawned several generations of
          bootlegs, so I imagine it'll find an audience (already ordered mine
          weeks ago) regardless of your (gfm's) delicate sensibilities. Perhaps
          you should go pick up some more tinnitus and the stuff will sound
          better. May I recommend Whitehouse's _Cruise_? "What are you afraid of,
          PAIN?"

          s> Stop me if...etc Current 93 - good entry-point?

          Best entry point is probably the live disc, _Cats Drunk on Copper_ which
          offers a good cross-section of the last 10 years' more
          musically-oriented efforts. The facets that don't make it onto that one
          could be supplemented w/ _I Have a Special Plan for this World_ and
          _Faust_; the best of the early noise-oriented period are probably _Dogs
          Blood Rising_ and _Imperium_ tho I'm sure I'll get arguments.

          --
          Jim Flannery newgrange@...

          When you can't give anything, you can also receive nothing.
          Through giving, you also receive. You can never stop giving.
          When you have nothing more to give, you're dead.
          -- Mustafa Tettey Addy

          np: Pink Fairies, _Kings of Oblivion_
          nr: Mervyn Peake, _Gormenghast_
        • Stevo
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
            --- In thewire@y..., "simonfay2001" <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
            > Stop me if...etc Current 93 - good entry-point?

            I think the 2 that I've got are bpoth great entry points
            The compilation 2cd Calling For vAnished faces which was even cheap
            for a single cd when I bought it. Got a lot of ep stuff +things

            +All the Pretty little Horses the lp with the nick cave version of
            that track on. is pretty cool too.
            Calling... also has the Shirley Collins version on.

            Any word on the Shirley Collins box set?
            Stevo
            Np Jane's Addiction Obvious
          • gplcob
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2002
              > I'm wondering if anything whose marginality ever attracted defiant
              > notice from a few cult-makers in the last 30-50 years will
              eventually
              > be subjected to a deluxe shrine-building.

              Regarding the interest and quality of Throbbing Gristle... Genesis,
              like John Balance, Scott Walker or Mark E Smith, has one of those
              voices that I simply love to listen to, and I usually find TG's music
              quite enjoyable. It's true that a good part of their live stuff
              sucks ; it's also true that there are a couple of great tracks on
              everyone of their albums, live or not. I may not buy the whole set,
              but will at least try to listen to some of it before making my own
              opinion.

              > Stop me if...etc Current 93 - good entry-point?

              My personal favourite would be "As the world disappears"...

              > Anyone know anything of a Techno comp from 10 years back
              > called 'Panic In Detroit'?

              Classic Detroit techno comp released on Buzz, tracklisting here
              (http://www.discogs.com/release/49871). It will probably be hard to
              find, but most of the tracks were made by famous producers under
              various aliases.

              Gwendal