WRECKING Lennon, Bruce & Jazz [playlist]

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2002

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 195: Lenny, Lennon & jazz*

      Maandag, 14 Oktober 2002 (17.00 to 19.00)

      SIMULWEBCAST and streaming [sometimes!!] <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Two Virgins [extended] > John Lennon & Yoko Ono [1]
      Interview with Dr. Sholem Stein > Lenny Bruce [2]
      Journy into Satchidananda > Alice Coltrane [3]
      To Come > Lenny Bruce [4]
      Enfant > Ornette Coleman [5]
      I Just Do It That's All > Lenny Bruce [4]
      Hubert's Museum > Lenny Bruce [4]
      A Love Supreme [Acknowledgment] > John Coltrane [3]
      The Perverse Act > Lenny Bruce [4]
      The Man I Love [take 2] > Miles Davis [6]
      Psychopathia Sexualis > Lenny Bruce [2]
      Window Music > Craig Flory & Doug Haire & Friends [7]
      Adolf Hitler & the MCA > Lenny Bruce [2]
      The Man I Love [take 1] > Miles Davis [6]
      Tits & Ass > Lenny Bruce [4]
      Blu Man Chu > Craig Flory & Doug Haire & Friends [7]
      Ike > Lenny Bruce [4]
      All Blues > Miles Davis [8]
      A Pretty Bizarre Show > Lenny Bruce [4]
      The March of Hi Fidelity > Lenny Bruce [2]
      Eos > Ornette Coleman [5]
      Blah Blah Blah > Lenny Bruce [4]
      Split the Blast > Craig Flory & Doug Haire & Friends [7]
      Dirty Toilet > Lenny Bruce [4]
      Mapa > Ornette Coleman [5]
      Maria Ouspenskaya / Father Flotski's Triumph > Lenny Bruce [4]
      Working Class Hero > John Lennon [9]
      Would You Sell Out Your Country > Lenny Bruce [4]
      Tribute to Duke & Mingus > Odeon Pope Trio [10]

      ~~~~~~~~~~

      [*] According to the Autonomedia Jubilee Saints Calendar
      <http://www.autonomedia.org> John Lennon was born October 9 & Lenny
      Bruce October 13. I don't usually play a lot of Lennon. I find most
      of his music a bit lacking until Cold Turkey & Plastic Ono. Then he
      managed to combine his moral indignation with the right sounds. Lenny
      Bruce, it is unbelieveable, but would be the same age as my mother,
      77. He died for their sins, our sins, and he died for the belief in
      the magic of the transformative powers of language. Everything he
      jabbers on about has gone pretty much un"solved" Š He and Lennon
      probably both suffered from a case of squashed idealism. They both
      ended up embittered by the general nature of human beings -
      especially those with the epaulets and other emblems and tools of
      power. Like my ex said about her aunt who died at a young age, the
      world was just to harsh for her - and themŠ

      [1] "Two Virgins" on Apple. One of the all-time most self-indulgent
      bad records that remains intriguing on some wandering audio itinerant
      levelŠ the same level as snooping around a friend's or stranger's
      house, nosing around in drawers and cabinets while they are awayŠ and
      they were both naked and they were not ashamed. I live right around
      the corner BTW from the Amsterdam Hilton, the grafitti they left
      behind still on the 6th? Floor window still visible to passersby.

      [2] "The Lenny Bruce Originals" This has some of the funniest Bruce
      skits. Psycopathia Sexualis is one of my all time faves. It was my
      introduction into Bruce some 25 years ago. It manages to parody
      beatnik/jazz poetry and the blind-followers of the psychoanalytic
      faith.

      [3] "Red Hot on Impulse" on Impulse/GRP, 1994. I used to work at GRP
      as a lowly grunt and "get" lots of free discs as well as making
      massive free copies of my novel and short story mss. All the old
      stuff in rerelease was great, all the GRP contemporary jazz sucked -
      if this was the case, why was I the only one saying it?

      [4] From Lenny Bruce's Private Tape Stash" on Knitting Factory, 2001.
      Interesting but it feels like grave-robbing and in the graverobbing
      they only managed to get some bones to build a reliquary rather than
      an accurate reconstruction of the man and his mindset. The record is
      short. 20 minutes or so and all the bits are just short little
      attention-deficit wit bites.

      [5] "Ornette on Tenor" on Atlantic vinyl, 1966. Innovative unorthodox
      autodidact. Believed [like some Pygmy tribes] that everyone solos and
      everyone accompanies. With Don Cherry, Jimmy garrison, Ed Blackwell.

      [6] "Miles Davis & the Modern Jazz giants" on Prestige vinyl, 1957? A
      tense chain of serenity links. With Thelonious Monk, Coltrane and
      Milt Jackson.

      [7] "Wigwam Bendix" on Franchise, 1998. A bunch of young pseudo-jazz
      farts sitting around doin' some white man wankin' Š the result pretty
      goddamn interesting with uneasy jazz riffs, sampling, noise and a
      general wary and destabilized [psycho-active induced] atmosphere. 31
      players jammin' around tryin' to come to terms with a fat shadow jazz
      past and the lurking phantoms of speed noise and the glorious sound
      of icebergs breaking apart in the jam. The question is was there a
      creative need for more or less mind-bending chemicals?

      [8] "Greatest Hits" on Columbia, 1970? "Šalthough he is the most
      modern, the most contemporary of men, he is also a man born out of
      his time." George Frazier in the liner notes.

      [9] "John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band" on Apple, 1970. "There's room at
      the top they are telling you still / But first you must learn how to
      smile as you kill / If you want to be like the folks on the hill." In
      1972, my freshman English prof. winced when I used this song as an
      example of a poem I liked.

      [10] Ebioto" on Knitting Factory, 1999. Wonderful original subtle
      jazz that doesn't nod too far into self-indulgent improv or into
      jazz-god obeisance.

      ~~~~~

      o Read my book on yodeling to find out how Miles Davis was sent into
      Sly Stone's recording session to get him to stop recording obscure
      non-pop material including some very bizarre yodeling.

      o Subject: The Echelonization of America: NSA to spy domestically?
      Politech/Declan McCullagh
      <http://www.politechbot.com/info/subscribe.html> via "On the QT"

      The head of the National Security Agency said last week that Congress
      might want to aim the most powerful surveillance system in the world
      at American citizens. Lt. Gen. Michael Hayden, in a rare public
      appearance before the Senate Intelligence committee, said the ongoing
      terrorist threat means America needs to debate where to draw the line
      between foreign and domestic surveillance. Currently the NSA is
      prohibited from spying domestically. Here's an excerpt:

      "Where do we draw the line between the government's need for
      (counter-terrorism) information about people in the United States and
      the privacy interests of people located in the United States? This
      line-drawing affects the focus of NSA's activities, foreign versus
      domestic... the type of data NSA is permitted to collect and how, and
      the rules under which NSA retains and disseminates information about
      U.S. persons. Until the 1970s, when the Senate's Church Committee
      revealed what had been going on in secret, the CIA and the NSA
      conducted illegal surveillance on American citizens. In response,
      Congress enacted a series of reforms, notably the Foreign
      Intelligence Surveillance Act. These are serious issues that the
      country addressed, and resolved to its satisfaction, once before in
      the mid-1970's," Hayden said. "In light of the events of September
      11th, it is appropriate that we, as a country, readdress them. We
      need to get it right."
      <http://intelligence.senate.gov/0210hrg/021017/hayden.pdf>

      o On October 19, 2002, Sean Penn put an ad in the Washington Post,
      "An Open Letter to the President of the United States of America."
      The resulting news coverage of the letter focused on the cost of the
      ad, his first wife and his 1982 breakthrough role in "Fast Times at
      Ridgemont High." Came to WTM: Scott Marshall, composer
      <paniculture@...> What follows is a short excerpt:

      "ŠDefend us from fundamentalism abroad but don't turn a blind eye to
      the fundamentalism of the diminished citizenry through loss of civil
      liberties, of dangerously heightened presidential autonomy through
      act of Congress, and of this country's mistaken and pervasive belief
      that its 'manifest destiny' is to police the world. We know that
      Americans are frightened and angry. However, sacrificing American
      soldiers or innocent civilians in an unprecedented preemptive attack
      on a separate sovereign nation, may well prove itself a most
      temporary medicineŠ."

      o Chainstore Massacre, ON-U Sound [CD-68202,LP-68202] Just
      released. The next stage in this groundbreaking and ear and
      expectation shattering label that reinvented sound throughout the 80s
      and early 90s is back. Includes: Tracklisting: 2 BADCARD - Noise
      Polluters, 3 HEAD - Warning , ASIAN DUB FOUNDATION - Cyberabad,
      LITTLE AXE - One Drop Blues, ADRIAN SHERWOOD - Xplanation, MARK
      STEWART - The Lunatics Are Taking Over The Asylum, RI RA - 25
      O'Clock, JUNIOR DELGADO - Fully Legalize, SKIP McDONALD Feat. SINÉAD
      O'CONNOR- My Love I Bring, SHADON - Places I Won't Go, LITTLE ROY -
      Heavy Going, SALMONELLA DUB - Push On Through, GHETTO PRIEST - Come
      Now, DUB SYNDICATE - It's Blessed , MUTANT HIFI - Apollo 11

      ~~~~~~~~

      Selected WRECK THIS MESS PLAYLISTS AT: <http://www.blacksifichi.com>

      THIS PLAYLIST GOES OUT TO OVER 1500 READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      * "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      __________________

      Some of my playlists can be found at 3am Magazine
      <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the title "Radiophotogram: Visual
      Radio". Also posted is a depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon. To
      appear soon: excerpts from my scandal-delicious paris novel, PARIS
      SEX TETE, a review of the spoken word works of Roberto ValenzaÉ

      "For a more international, commercial feel, try 3am Magazine. . . .
      The cosmopolitan, rive gauche quality of the site is wonderfully
      obvious. From 'cutting edge short fiction' to political satire and
      music reviews, 3am is a dream publication for the young, literary and
      clued-up, and it counter-balances nicely the London/New York
      publishing behemoth." o Bill Broun, The Times (Monday April 30 2001).

      "Cool ezine 3am is worth taking a look at for a dip into the edgier
      waters of literature on the net." o Michelle Pauli, The Guardian
      (2001).