Re: [thewire] Crash Worship

  • A.S. Van Dorston
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
      I'm willing to bet he was referring to the Dadaist 'happenings'. Artists like Andre Breton dabbled in that before starting surrealism.

      mIEKAL aND
      wrote:

      > As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there
      > was
      > an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith,
      > who
      > had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists.
      > After
      > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
      > some
      > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.

      manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
      of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

      TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

    • mIEKAL aND
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
        Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
        in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
        activities in the 30s.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
          that should read ... "not" known as a hotbed of avant garde activities
          in the 30s...

          On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 01:20 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:

          > Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
          > in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
          > activities in the 30s.

        • Vincent Kargatis
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
            > From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@...>
            > Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
            > in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
            > activities in the 30s.

            And considering the difficulties of travel in the 20th c. US, I can see how
            you would conclude the unlikelihood of his having experienced any.
            --
            Vincent Kargatis
            np: Steve Lacy - THE OWL (from SCRATCHING THE SEVENTIES)