Re: [thewire] Crash Worship

  • manny@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
      > > After
      > > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
      > > some
      > > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.
      > manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
      > of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

      no, i wish i had asked him to elaborate. unfortunately my attention was
      a little distracted with the concern of greasepaint being all over the
      walls of the first unitarian church's basement ;)

      recently i saw Al again. i found out that he had actually met Salvador
      Dali a bunch of times in the 40s or 50s.
      if see him in the near future, i'll be sure to
      bring it up.
    • A.S. Van Dorston
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
        I'm willing to bet he was referring to the Dadaist 'happenings'. Artists like Andre Breton dabbled in that before starting surrealism.

        mIEKAL aND
        wrote:

        > As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there
        > was
        > an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith,
        > who
        > had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists.
        > After
        > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
        > some
        > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.

        manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
        of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

        TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

      • mIEKAL aND
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
          Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
          in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
          activities in the 30s.

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
            that should read ... "not" known as a hotbed of avant garde activities
            in the 30s...

            On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 01:20 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:

            > Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
            > in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
            > activities in the 30s.

          • Vincent Kargatis
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
              > From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@...>
              > Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
              > in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
              > activities in the 30s.

              And considering the difficulties of travel in the 20th c. US, I can see how
              you would conclude the unlikelihood of his having experienced any.
              --
              Vincent Kargatis
              np: Steve Lacy - THE OWL (from SCRATCHING THE SEVENTIES)