Crash Worship

  • Oakiedog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2002
      About 6 years ago I almost signed Crash Worship to Warner Brothers. Mason
      Jones had turned me on to them and I saw an appeal that could spread out to
      many different audiences. The live shows were stunning, sometimes even
      scary: at a Lingerie show when the ceiling caught on fire or in Austin where
      the wherehouse/farm space they were playing in got flooded with fire
      extinguisher smoke (note: the end of the night, you would leave the building
      and see dark smoke apocalyptically gushing out of the gaping, huge two-story
      barn doors). But the band was really innovative and artistically driven. I
      even dragged then Reprise president Howie Klein to Phoenix to see Crash
      Worship at some outside gig that did not start until 4am. Howie, always a
      forward thinker, really dug what they represented.

      The big problem with the band was an eternal one which prevented the members
      from staying together in a nucleus for any given length of time. They moved
      to New Orleans for a while, and then kinda splintered. I would go see shows
      to find one of the main members at the bar watching, telling me that he had
      left the band for one reason or another. That was at the Troubadour, a gig
      that ended with a bunch of the band and fans running to the middle island on
      Santa Monica Boulevard with fire torches and drums.

      The last time I heard of a Crash Worship show was in California (they MUST
      have played since then) in an abandoned jail in downtown Los Angeles. I heard
      it was terrific.

      Crash Worship was a great conception, and it was always good to go to a show
      where gold covered naked beautiful people (I was more into the girls) rode on
      carriages through the crowd offering wine and fruit. The music was
      danceable, scary and dynamic. And the voices coming from the stage, followed
      by fire and spray, recalled some of what Dante saw when he went down below.

      I do not know if the Charnel House records are still in print but they are
      worth the get. Not as complex as VISION CREATION NEWSUN (Boredoms)--more
      primal--darker and sweatier. Great music to have sex by, especially if
      biting is on the menu.

      Katznelson

    • manny@telerama.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
        > I do not know if the Charnel House records are still in print but they are
        > worth the get.
        > -Katznelson

        From one minion of ZOG to another,
        (hey what else am I gonna say with the major label Jewish name dropping in
        effect and with a previous reference to Blood Axis ;) )
        I'll find out tonight when I see Mason at the Subarachoid show I'm doing.

        I remember that other than venue destruction CW had another downside.
        I recall clearly at least one occasion where a man raped a woman during
        the middle of a CW show supposedly "driven" to do so by the
        music/spectacle. Falling back in fields of rape, indeed.

        As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there was
        an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith, who
        had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists. After
        the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of some
        stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.
      • manny@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
          > > After
          > > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
          > > some
          > > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.
          > manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
          > of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

          no, i wish i had asked him to elaborate. unfortunately my attention was
          a little distracted with the concern of greasepaint being all over the
          walls of the first unitarian church's basement ;)

          recently i saw Al again. i found out that he had actually met Salvador
          Dali a bunch of times in the 40s or 50s.
          if see him in the near future, i'll be sure to
          bring it up.
        • A.S. Van Dorston
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
            I'm willing to bet he was referring to the Dadaist 'happenings'. Artists like Andre Breton dabbled in that before starting surrealism.

            mIEKAL aND
            wrote:

            > As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there
            > was
            > an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith,
            > who
            > had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists.
            > After
            > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
            > some
            > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.

            manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
            of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

            TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002

              > As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there
              > was
              > an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith,
              > who
              > had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists.
              > After
              > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
              > some
              > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.

              manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
              of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

            • mIEKAL aND
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
                in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
                activities in the 30s.

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                  that should read ... "not" known as a hotbed of avant garde activities
                  in the 30s...

                  On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 01:20 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:

                  > Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
                  > in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
                  > activities in the 30s.

                • Vincent Kargatis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                    > From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@...>
                    > Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
                    > in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
                    > activities in the 30s.

                    And considering the difficulties of travel in the 20th c. US, I can see how
                    you would conclude the unlikelihood of his having experienced any.
                    --
                    Vincent Kargatis
                    np: Steve Lacy - THE OWL (from SCRATCHING THE SEVENTIES)