Re: [thewire] Crash Worship

  • Michael Gillham
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
      Someone out of Crash Worship is now in Blood Axis. I
      forget his name ... I'm not sure if he's a regular
      member or not. Michael Moynihan is obviously the
      mainman though.

      Thoughts on Crash Worship? Well, I like them! I'd love
      to have seen them live. I've spoken to people who
      have.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • Oakiedog@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2002
        About 6 years ago I almost signed Crash Worship to Warner Brothers. Mason
        Jones had turned me on to them and I saw an appeal that could spread out to
        many different audiences. The live shows were stunning, sometimes even
        scary: at a Lingerie show when the ceiling caught on fire or in Austin where
        the wherehouse/farm space they were playing in got flooded with fire
        extinguisher smoke (note: the end of the night, you would leave the building
        and see dark smoke apocalyptically gushing out of the gaping, huge two-story
        barn doors). But the band was really innovative and artistically driven. I
        even dragged then Reprise president Howie Klein to Phoenix to see Crash
        Worship at some outside gig that did not start until 4am. Howie, always a
        forward thinker, really dug what they represented.

        The big problem with the band was an eternal one which prevented the members
        from staying together in a nucleus for any given length of time. They moved
        to New Orleans for a while, and then kinda splintered. I would go see shows
        to find one of the main members at the bar watching, telling me that he had
        left the band for one reason or another. That was at the Troubadour, a gig
        that ended with a bunch of the band and fans running to the middle island on
        Santa Monica Boulevard with fire torches and drums.

        The last time I heard of a Crash Worship show was in California (they MUST
        have played since then) in an abandoned jail in downtown Los Angeles. I heard
        it was terrific.

        Crash Worship was a great conception, and it was always good to go to a show
        where gold covered naked beautiful people (I was more into the girls) rode on
        carriages through the crowd offering wine and fruit. The music was
        danceable, scary and dynamic. And the voices coming from the stage, followed
        by fire and spray, recalled some of what Dante saw when he went down below.

        I do not know if the Charnel House records are still in print but they are
        worth the get. Not as complex as VISION CREATION NEWSUN (Boredoms)--more
        primal--darker and sweatier. Great music to have sex by, especially if
        biting is on the menu.

        Katznelson

      • manny@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
          > I do not know if the Charnel House records are still in print but they are
          > worth the get.
          > -Katznelson

          From one minion of ZOG to another,
          (hey what else am I gonna say with the major label Jewish name dropping in
          effect and with a previous reference to Blood Axis ;) )
          I'll find out tonight when I see Mason at the Subarachoid show I'm doing.

          I remember that other than venue destruction CW had another downside.
          I recall clearly at least one occasion where a man raped a woman during
          the middle of a CW show supposedly "driven" to do so by the
          music/spectacle. Falling back in fields of rape, indeed.

          As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there was
          an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith, who
          had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists. After
          the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of some
          stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.
        • manny@telerama.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
            > > After
            > > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
            > > some
            > > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.
            > manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
            > of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

            no, i wish i had asked him to elaborate. unfortunately my attention was
            a little distracted with the concern of greasepaint being all over the
            walls of the first unitarian church's basement ;)

            recently i saw Al again. i found out that he had actually met Salvador
            Dali a bunch of times in the 40s or 50s.
            if see him in the near future, i'll be sure to
            bring it up.
          • A.S. Van Dorston
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
              I'm willing to bet he was referring to the Dadaist 'happenings'. Artists like Andre Breton dabbled in that before starting surrealism.

              mIEKAL aND
              wrote:

              > As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there
              > was
              > an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith,
              > who
              > had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists.
              > After
              > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
              > some
              > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.

              manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
              of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

              TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002

                > As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there
                > was
                > an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith,
                > who
                > had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists.
                > After
                > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
                > some
                > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.

                manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
                of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

              • mIEKAL aND
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                  Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
                  in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
                  activities in the 30s.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                    that should read ... "not" known as a hotbed of avant garde activities
                    in the 30s...

                    On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 01:20 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:

                    > Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
                    > in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
                    > activities in the 30s.

                  • Vincent Kargatis
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                      > From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@...>
                      > Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
                      > in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
                      > activities in the 30s.

                      And considering the difficulties of travel in the 20th c. US, I can see how
                      you would conclude the unlikelihood of his having experienced any.
                      --
                      Vincent Kargatis
                      np: Steve Lacy - THE OWL (from SCRATCHING THE SEVENTIES)