Crash Worship

  • JC Mendizabal
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
      Hi all,

      Does anyone on this list know much about Crash Worship?
      I would like to know if The Wire has ever featured an interview/article on them and , if so, which back issue.
      Also if you know of anywhere to find out their touring information I would appreciate it.
      Any thoughts on Crash Worship?
      I've seen them several times over the last 10 years or so but I haven't heard much about them in the last 2 or 3 years.

      Juan Carlos
      Black Note Music - Techno Shamanic Music for the New Millenium
      http://www.deconstructionist.com/blacknote/

    • manny@telerama.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
        Yes, I either have, or have listened to and reviewed, all their releases,
        including a copper-plated videotape which is around here somewhere.
        i was really into them in late 80s when everything was about being so
        damn dark and industrial.
        afaik they are not still together.
        markus wolff did some questionably supremacist 7" release several years
        ago (can't remember the name of the project but it was something like
        'luftwaffe', but not)
        otherwise than that i don't know what the members are doing now.
        [wire readers can probably tell you that post-jehu, san diego is pretty
        much a dead issue other than maybe those trummerflora guys.]
        i put on concerts for them in pittsburgh in 1991, 92, and 93.
        but in the course of my three shows with them they destroyed all further
        possible relations with each venue, as well as the requisite damage.
        and not only that, but they were entirely ungrateful, by the third show
        demanding all the money from the door instead of allowing a fair share of
        it to go to the other group (in that case, japanoise group c.c.c.c.,whose
        us tour i booked and later released an album for).
        shamanism, my ass ;)

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
          Thanks for the quick reply. I have never met them personally, nor do
          I know about their individual careers. I met them as a direct "live"
          experience and were very impressive in that situation (although I
          did notice that each time they played anywhere it was the last
          time ;-) )
          I appreciate the info though and would like to know if there are any
          groups out there that attempt to do the same kind of thing that
          these guys were doing (however you interpret it), specially in terms
          of audience participation and a breakdown of the barrier between
          performer and audience.
          I remember that the first time I saw them (1990 or 91) I was
          literally physically pulled into the mass chaos by one of their
          members or helpers. Anyone being that dangerous or "intrusive" these
          days?

          --- In thewire@y..., manny@t... wrote:

          > Yes, I either have, or have listened to and reviewed, all their
          releases,
          > including a copper-plated videotape which is around here somewhere.
          > i was really into them in late 80s when everything was about being
          so
          > damn dark and industrial.
          > afaik they are not still together.
          > markus wolff did some questionably supremacist 7" release several
          years
          > ago (can't remember the name of the project but it was something
          like
          > 'luftwaffe', but not)
          > otherwise than that i don't know what the members are doing now.
          > [wire readers can probably tell you that post-jehu, san diego is
          pretty
          > much a dead issue other than maybe those trummerflora guys.]
          > i put on concerts for them in pittsburgh in 1991, 92, and 93.
          > but in the course of my three shows with them they destroyed all
          further
          > possible relations with each venue, as well as the requisite
          damage.
          > and not only that, but they were entirely ungrateful, by the third
          show
          > demanding all the money from the door instead of allowing a fair
          share of
          > it to go to the other group (in that case, japanoise group
          c.c.c.c.,whose
          > us tour i booked and later released an album for).
          > shamanism, my ass ;)
        • Michael Gillham
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
            Someone out of Crash Worship is now in Blood Axis. I
            forget his name ... I'm not sure if he's a regular
            member or not. Michael Moynihan is obviously the
            mainman though.

            Thoughts on Crash Worship? Well, I like them! I'd love
            to have seen them live. I've spoken to people who
            have.

            http://uk.my.yahoo.com
          • Oakiedog@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2002
              About 6 years ago I almost signed Crash Worship to Warner Brothers. Mason
              Jones had turned me on to them and I saw an appeal that could spread out to
              many different audiences. The live shows were stunning, sometimes even
              scary: at a Lingerie show when the ceiling caught on fire or in Austin where
              the wherehouse/farm space they were playing in got flooded with fire
              extinguisher smoke (note: the end of the night, you would leave the building
              and see dark smoke apocalyptically gushing out of the gaping, huge two-story
              barn doors). But the band was really innovative and artistically driven. I
              even dragged then Reprise president Howie Klein to Phoenix to see Crash
              Worship at some outside gig that did not start until 4am. Howie, always a
              forward thinker, really dug what they represented.

              The big problem with the band was an eternal one which prevented the members
              from staying together in a nucleus for any given length of time. They moved
              to New Orleans for a while, and then kinda splintered. I would go see shows
              to find one of the main members at the bar watching, telling me that he had
              left the band for one reason or another. That was at the Troubadour, a gig
              that ended with a bunch of the band and fans running to the middle island on
              Santa Monica Boulevard with fire torches and drums.

              The last time I heard of a Crash Worship show was in California (they MUST
              have played since then) in an abandoned jail in downtown Los Angeles. I heard
              it was terrific.

              Crash Worship was a great conception, and it was always good to go to a show
              where gold covered naked beautiful people (I was more into the girls) rode on
              carriages through the crowd offering wine and fruit. The music was
              danceable, scary and dynamic. And the voices coming from the stage, followed
              by fire and spray, recalled some of what Dante saw when he went down below.

              I do not know if the Charnel House records are still in print but they are
              worth the get. Not as complex as VISION CREATION NEWSUN (Boredoms)--more
              primal--darker and sweatier. Great music to have sex by, especially if
              biting is on the menu.

              Katznelson

            • manny@telerama.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                > I do not know if the Charnel House records are still in print but they are
                > worth the get.
                > -Katznelson

                From one minion of ZOG to another,
                (hey what else am I gonna say with the major label Jewish name dropping in
                effect and with a previous reference to Blood Axis ;) )
                I'll find out tonight when I see Mason at the Subarachoid show I'm doing.

                I remember that other than venue destruction CW had another downside.
                I recall clearly at least one occasion where a man raped a woman during
                the middle of a CW show supposedly "driven" to do so by the
                music/spectacle. Falling back in fields of rape, indeed.

                As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there was
                an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith, who
                had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists. After
                the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of some
                stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.
              • manny@telerama.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                  > > After
                  > > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
                  > > some
                  > > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.
                  > manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
                  > of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

                  no, i wish i had asked him to elaborate. unfortunately my attention was
                  a little distracted with the concern of greasepaint being all over the
                  walls of the first unitarian church's basement ;)

                  recently i saw Al again. i found out that he had actually met Salvador
                  Dali a bunch of times in the 40s or 50s.
                  if see him in the near future, i'll be sure to
                  bring it up.
                • A.S. Van Dorston
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                    I'm willing to bet he was referring to the Dadaist 'happenings'. Artists like Andre Breton dabbled in that before starting surrealism.

                    mIEKAL aND
                    wrote:

                    > As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there
                    > was
                    > an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith,
                    > who
                    > had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists.
                    > After
                    > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
                    > some
                    > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.

                    manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
                    of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

                    TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002

                      > As for CW's "innovation": At the 2nd show I did for them in '92, there
                      > was
                      > an elder gentleman standing in the back by the name of Al Goldsmith,
                      > who
                      > had been an artist for many years and knew some of the Surrealists.
                      > After
                      > the show I asked him what he thought and he said, "It reminds me of
                      > some
                      > stuff I saw back in the 30s." Boy that was classic.

                      manny: did you ask him what things in the 30s he saw that reminded him
                      of Crash Worship? mIEKAL

                    • mIEKAL aND
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                        Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
                        in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
                        activities in the 30s.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                          that should read ... "not" known as a hotbed of avant garde activities
                          in the 30s...

                          On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 01:20 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:

                          > Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
                          > in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
                          > activities in the 30s.

                        • Vincent Kargatis
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                            > From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@...>
                            > Im sure he was but Im guessing Manny was referring to someone who lives
                            > in Pittsburgh, which is not in my mind known as a hotbed of avant garde
                            > activities in the 30s.

                            And considering the difficulties of travel in the 20th c. US, I can see how
                            you would conclude the unlikelihood of his having experienced any.
                            --
                            Vincent Kargatis
                            np: Steve Lacy - THE OWL (from SCRATCHING THE SEVENTIES)