WRECKing Chicks de femmes [playlist]

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 11:50 AM

      Ethno-Illogical Psycho-Radiographies: no. 191: Chicks de femmes

      Maandag, 9 September 2002 (17.00 to 19.00)

      SIMULWEBCAST and streaming [sometimes!!] <http://freeteam.nl/patapoe/>

      "You're equal but different, it's obvious"
      o Au Pairs

      "Like a narco pet"
      o Judy Nylon

      "How Can You Play a Horn in a Brassiere?
      o Downbeat Magazine headline, April 1938
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Endless End > Tujiko Noriko [1]
      White film > Tujiko Noriko [1]
      Little Red Riding Hood > Bit Tonic [2]
      Quiet Nights > Blossom Dearie [3]
      Hex > Zabine [4]
      It's Obvious > Au Pairs [5]
      Aussi > Zabine [4]
      Ur-Klange > Christine Lauterburg [6]
      The Drum is Everything > Carmel [7]

      "The Barbie Doll used to come with her own scale, set at 110 [pounds
      = 50 kilos] and
      her own diet guide: 'How to Lose Weight: Don't Eat'
      o The American Women's Almanac

      I Thought I Was Going Mad > Carmel [7]
      The Prayer > Carmel [7]
      Gl_md > Sons of Koop [8]
      Eelectric Lady > Lynn Book & Tatsu Aoki [9]
      How Sweet I Roam'd From Field to Field [Blake] > Shusha [10]
      Night & Day > Anita O'Day [11]

      "Fully one-half of all women seldom or never experience any pleasure
      whatever in the sexual act. Now this is an impeachment of nature, a
      disgrace to our civilization."
      o Victoria Woodhull, radical, 1873

      I Get A Kick Out of You Day > Anita O'Day [11]
      Bing Bang Bong > Sophia Loren [12]
      De Jour en Jour > Sophia Loren [12]
      Song of Long-Time Lovers [Brel] > Shusha [10]
      You Turn Me On I'm A Radio > Joni Mitchell [13]
      Hillbilly Leprechauns > Ethel Delaney [14]
      Ode to Natural > Lynn Book & Tatsu Aoki [9]
      States: Tenderly > Shelley Hirsch [15]
      A Think Within a Think > Osaka [16]
      September in the Rain > Dinah Washington [17]
      Travelin' Light > Anita O'Day [11]
      Blueprint Remix > Judy Nylon vs Stuart Argabright & Mal Torrance [18]
      I Think of You Dub > Annie Anxiety [19]
      Lost Weekend > Wanda Jackson [20]
      Undecipherable Title > Tujiko Noriko [1]
      Hillbilly Leprechauns > Ethel Delaney [14]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "If more girl drummers had cradle-rocking experiences before their
      musical endeavors, they might come closer to getting on the beat."
      o Downbeat Magazine, 1938
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      [1] "Tujiko Noriko" on Mego <www.mego.at> is another disc of diffuse
      sources, a pastiche of sonic citations that at first I found
      consciously too-cutesy [like scrambled Cibo Matto or Pizzicatto Five]
      or a little too easily untidy but the uneasy fragrances have begun to
      slowly and haphazardly gain some kind of cohesion and attraction.
      Flaky flair?

      [2] "Counterintelligence" on Electro-Chemical Research
      <101674.1556@...> <www.noisemail.com> Great compilation
      including this very talented lady. When is she gonna put out a solo
      disc already!?

      [3] "May I come In?" on Capitol vinyl, 1960s. This chick came out of
      the Catskills to tame a crude NY. She sings like cat being stroked
      under the neck just right. Lethal cuddle music.

      [4] "Transalpin" on Lawine / Virgin. Sabine Kapfinger [Zabine] [1974]
      is the model new world citizen. She creates a world music that
      traverses tradition and every pop technique available. And her
      yodeling is augmented and complimented by some of the most resonant
      accompaniment around including didgeridoo. Her world travels have
      taught her that strangers to the sound of yodeling are amazed and
      fascinated by its sonic power to evoke and surprise. She has found
      herself deep in the African hinterlands communing with natives using
      intuitive musical expressions to the point where she discovered the
      "archaic rhythms" that allowed her to feel "like a newborn." She is a
      young exile and protege from the wonderful world music produced by
      Hubert von Goisern. She was part of his famous ensemble, Alpinkatzen
      which she joined in the early 1990s and there became overwhelmingly
      convinced about the power of their post-modern traditional music.
      Although her world vision is large - macroscopic, her early life is
      geographically microscopic. She is from a peaceful little Tyrolian
      village. These are her roots -- insular and spectacular, local and
      pastoral...

      [5] "Diet / It's Obvious" on 021 Records. A 45 from the golden era of
      girl groups [late 70s early 80s].

      [6] "Echo der Zeit" on CSR <www.csr-records.ch>. A great label
      producing an under-reegarded mad yodeler in the vein of Shelley
      Hirsch from a snowy peak. Inspired reinvention of ethno-Über-music
      combining real yodeling with hints of other-worldly musics splintered
      and melted into a mix worthy of Hector Zazou.

      [7] "The Drum is Everything" on London vinyl. 1984. Carmel was a
      great white female soul singer despite her limited range or maybe all
      the more amazingly and heroically because of this fact.

      [8] "Super Studio Grac-2" I recorded this in Paris off Black
      Sifichi's disc. It is aromatic cold white soul in largo vein of
      Massive Attack.

      [9] "Strange Familiar" on own label, 1995. Abstract expressive vocals
      with poetics and some yodeling thrown in. Somewhere between cavewoman
      and cyborgienne.

      [10] "Song of Long-time Lovers" on Tangent vinyl 1972. This is
      everything fellow DJ Dave Shyboy would love in a disc - and female
      musician: she is waify, exotic, wan, English-Persian mysterious plus
      she covers Brel, sings some French, covers obscure song that situates
      her to the sexy end of Joan Baez, the sturdy side of Sandy Denny...

      [11] "The Big Band Sessions" on Verve vinyl. She is timeless and has
      an elegant elasticity that gives her a high hip factor.

      [12] Don't have any info. I DO know that Loren is one of the most
      iconographic women ever. Beauty with depth, mystique, and some
      measure of integrity.

      [13] "For the Roses" on Asylum 1972. Terribly maligned and thus
      underrated singer who was disparagingly too oft associated with the
      namby pamby navel gazing ala James Taylor singer/songwriter genre.
      She has great jazzy range and dared to be different.

      [14] "Turning Back Time" <yodel@...>. Ethel Delaney has
      been the "Swiss Miss Yodeler" for as long as anyone can remember but
      she can still muster a yodel of formidable octave breadth if called
      upon. With the rerelease of vintage Delaney material on this CD
      [August 2000] we get a good sample of the glory of a yodeler who
      could yodel so well that it outshines her own singing to the point
      where you can't wait for the next yodel refrain. "Time" is the result
      of remastering and digital transferring of 26 cuts that were
      originally recorded between 1963 and the early 1980s and taken from
      both album and single releases. It includes the novelty oddity
      "Hillbilly Leprechauns," complete with some insane yodeling and
      munchkin voices that could have been a hayseed version of something
      by Lucia Pamela or Nina Hagen even!

      [15] "States" on Harvestworks <www.harvestworks.org> Hirsch's work is
      just bursting with reference, source, the need to make hilarious and
      inspiring pastiches, collage operas of everyday existence which
      combines the concrete, the vivid with the expressionistic and the
      abstract. She is like this human tower of Babel, someone who can
      switch voices, shift continents, leapfrog into different eras at the
      drop of a glottal click. Humor is what saves SH from the vast realm
      of pretentious or at least too-self-serious vocal explorers. She has
      a knack for combining homespun memories, fantasy and abstract vocal
      adventures that create a vast and myriad portrait of human
      foible-rich life. Her slender blade-like presence [often performing
      solo] is able to transform itself into something operatic, something
      that fills rooms, halls, spaces with volume with a vast array of
      singing styles and techniques cribbing from yodelers, opera, cabaret,
      stand-up, pop, jazz, rock, musical, and avant expeeriments with sound
      and vocals. Thematically Shelley Hirsch often orients herself on
      biographical events: childhood memories, dreams, d_ja vu experiences.

      [16] "VA: Variable Access" on Active Suspension <www.chronowax.com>
      is an excellent sampler from this young French label that hearkens
      toward break beat and electronica and mille plateuax and ~scape. At
      once cohesive and eclectically all over making connections between
      sonic drony poppishness and abstract electronica. There is however a
      sense that minimalism has found a complex way to hear it. Outstanding
      trax are by My Jazzy Child and Osaka. They seem dedicated to getting
      unheard, obscure, unconnected music out there. I have already played
      the Osaka piece 4 or 5 times on my show...

      [17] "What a Difference a Day Makes" on Hallmark. Satin, silk,
      soothing across a jagged but attractive knife wound called the soul.

      [18] "Blue Cathedral" on CDR is Nylon at her best [and that's pretty
      damn good] Using the "mind the gap" warning in tube stations and the
      ambient backdrop of the Muslim call to prayer... One of the female
      talents squandered by popular zeitgeist in the 80s because she is
      testy and has always refused compromise when it comes to creativity.
      See 3AM magazine for a full profile of her.

      [19] "Short & Sweet" on On-U. Little Annie is one of my all time
      favorites. Totally under-estimated, under-documented. Great poetess,
      stand-up crowd mistress with a voice that cuts through the smoke.
      Great On-U production.

      [20] "Let's Have a Party" on Charly 1986 vinyl. WJ was one of the
      sexiest rockabilly country starlets. She set the stage for s/punky
      women everywhere...

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      o PaRiS SeX TêTe [a novel about Paris in the 80s in progress]: "Sex
      with Sophie remained fun, gymnastic, agonizing, fruitful, loving,
      frequent and a temporary reprieve from what we refused to believe we
      were going through. Although she wanted me so badly to grow up, she
      had no problem chatting with Madame Bite while dressing her (penis is
      feminine in French. I didn't believe her either) with drink
      umbrellas, hair elastics, and colorful sweets. It was as if one of
      the lies we clung to could become the script for a new life - if
      only, if only we had some money, if only we could move south, if only
      blank and blank would leave me alone, if only we could make the ole
      meat puppet do some tricks, rob a bank, if only an industrial
      accident would cut it off ... What is it about a French woman
      pronouncing the word "dick" as "deek"? Why does it all seem
      exotically not as ... serious? Even her utter denunciations of my
      character would leave me with a small snicker to cosy up to. Plus, I
      knew all her thoughts and indignity steeped in moral righteousness
      could come so easily unglued if I just so much as grazed her thighs
      or nudged a a hand between her loaves or casually rubbed that magic
      button. She was enslaved to sexual abandon. The more she could lose
      her head - is the idea - the less her head hurt with thoughts.

      I mean, I had been venturing from lair to lair, from studio to
      rendezvous in an almost permanent state of priapic mystification for
      well over a year now. Call it that perfumed scent of the mind where
      one clings to ecstasy - a kind of narcotic state of gratification and
      the thought of the next fix. I was addicted and Paris was the dealer.
      But funny thing is, all these adventures only remained tantalizing or
      appealing as long as it was easy to write them down and as long as I
      had friends who still wanted to hear the gory details of yet another
      liaison. The best friends continued to buy you drinks, they hear
      everything you say, but have long ago stopped listening and never let
      on.

      Although Sophie continued to have the urge, that urge eventually
      began to change choreography. She would still go down on me - she
      called it "pull ze escargot out eets shell" - and you could hear the
      gorged delight, vocal cues taken from a number of silly porn films
      we'd watched together. That her vocal chords could still produce a
      kind of music was frightening. But we no longer posed in full light
      or ever again in front of the full-length mirror. Nor pranced
      sylvan-like across the shaved carpet with clothespins clamped to
      various appendages. When it was at its best, we would do it in front
      of cameras, windows, mirrors, doorways, outside, loudly, flamboyantly
      as if to inform the whole world that happiness and fulfillment were
      indeed still possible. Or as if the act of witnessing our ... ordeal
      [help me with a better word then] would render what we had more
      steadfast, more binding, more etched in memory...."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Why don't blondes eat bananas?
      They can't find the zipper.
      o From a Woman's Magazine
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      o Boob Jobs Suck [Eve, Oct. 2002] Implants are passé. Breast
      enlargement is going high-tech, with the arrival of the Brava system,
      a computer-linked bra that makes breasts grow. Its plastic cups are
      linked to a small computer, which stimulates cell growth by gently
      pulling breast tissue like a vacuum. It may all seem a bit
      dairy-farm, but studies at the U. of Texas show you'll gain at least
      a cup size." If you wear it 10 hrs a day for 10 weeks...
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      THIS PLAYLIST GOES OUT TO OVER 1500 READERS-EYEBALL "LISTENERS" per WEEK*
      * "plus another few hundred when it hits the BSI list!" Ezra
      <info@...>

      Wreck This MeSS
      Radio 100 / Radio Patapoe
      bart plantenga
      Zeilstraat 23 / II
      1075 SB Amsterdam
      the Netherlands

      __________________

      Some of my playlists can be found at 3am Magazine
      <http://www.3ammagazine.com> under the title "Radiophotogram: Visual
      Radio". Also posted is a depth-of-focus interview with Judy Nylon. To
      appear soon: excerpts from my scandal-delicious paris novel, PARIS
      SEX TETE, a review of the spoken word works of Roberto Valenza...

      "For a more international, commercial feel, try 3am Magazine. . . .
      The cosmopolitan, rive gauche quality of the site is wonderfully
      obvious. From 'cutting edge short fiction' to political satire and
      music reviews, 3am is a dream publication for the young, literary and
      clued-up, and it counter-balances nicely the London/New York
      publishing behemoth." o Bill Broun, The Times (Monday April 30 2001).

      "Cool ezine 3am is worth taking a look at for a dip into the edgier
      waters of literature on the net." o Michelle Pauli, The Guardian
      (2001).

      SDI > SELF DESTRUCTION INSURED >
      CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL