Re: re zaireeka just say no rev men

  • wingsoftoast
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 6, 2002
      blimey- do you two know each other or something??? cool your boots
      davis!
      personally the whole rev being a bit dull thing to me is just part of
      a wider post-rock dullness malaise (apart from the boredoms and
      selected acid mothers bits) - rock seems to have as much in common
      with fashion as it does with classical / jazz / folk - the spurious
      quest for novelty for its own sake. The Strokes album is easily the
      strongest 'rock' album of the last year despite the fact that it
      sounds just like Television (why is originality such a big deal in
      the age of mechanical reproduction?)- though i bought stuff by Jackie-
      O and the No-Necks i can't help feeling that it's somewhat joyless
      nurdley rubbish - emerson lake and palmer without the money / pomp-
      vague? to like post-rock is to buy into a myth and i'd rather be
      entertained myth or no myth.

      a lot of post-rock bands seem to wear the badge of 'improvisation' as
      if this was some sort of seal of quality in itself - what they forget
      is that spontanaeity is part of any truly creative act (see cocteau
      or wagner for similar viewpoint)whether written on a page or blown
      straight out of a saxophone. aside from this they all seem to be
      slightly overweight and bald.

      on a final note - brainfuck fans should check out the last hour of
      wagner's 'tristan and isolde' for a totally unexpected and completely
      devastatingly fucking fantastic direct to the motherlode experience -
      oh and the wire was right a couple of issues ago about shirley
      collins (who'd have though folk could be so untweediddly?)

      pete

      --- In thewire@y..., "gradyfinklemyer" <gradyfinklemyer@y...> wrote:
      > Wow that's funny. Did you recently purchase a sense of humour from
      > someone? But seriously, could you recommend which David Hasselhoff
      > cd's sound best when you're on your treadmill? Oh, I forgot, you
      only
      > listen to "stoner metal". Hey everyone, just picture Davis
      pretending
      > to be a stoner whilst listening to his stoner metal. Did your
      little
      > school mates call you a "poseur" when you were in junior high/high
      > school?
      >

      > --- In thewire@y..., Davis Ford <davisford@y...> wrote:
      > > good one, carrot top. hey, next time you want to eat
      > > a pumpkin-head full of peyote and go lie down in the
      > > desert let me know. we'll take the ghetto-blaster and
      > > nothing but missy elliot and keiji haino cds!
      > > woops...forgot about destroying your "life".
      > >
      > > 1-800-CALL-ATT, good buddy!
      > >
      > > > --- In thewire@y..., "gradyfinklemyer"
      > > > cares if they destroy
      > > > enjoyable.

      > > http://finance.yahoo.com
    • stevolende
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 6, 2002
        --- In thewire@y..., Eric Scott <ericscott@d...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        the gimmick was that there were
        > 4 discs in the box, all to be played simultaneously
        > using 4 separate players (and to be cued up
        > specially with front-end "countdowns" I believe...)
        > so you & 3 of your best friends could hear the noises
        > in a kind of mutated quad-sound...
        >
        > Can anyone remember the artist /and/or release title?

        Die Todlichte Doris?
        or was that just 2lps?
        Think they got there a longtime earlier since that was released in
        the early 80s, wonder if anybody else beat them to it?

        it used to be fun to stick 2 tapes on simultaneously on the player at
        my mothers place -Flipper and Howling wolf was cool as I recall
        stevo
        Np Savage REpublic Ivory Coast (parking lot version)
      • majounrecordings
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 6, 2002
          --- In thewire@y..., "stevolende" <stevolende@y...> wrote:

          > Die Todlichte Doris?
          > or was that just 2lps?

          You're probably thinking of "Choere & Soli" (Choirs and Solos), which
          Toedliche Doris released in 1983, but that was something completely
          different: 8 "miniphon records" (a bit like these things you had to put
          in the back of talking dolls) featuring garbled a cappellas of
          childrens' songs, plus a battery-driven playing device (because the
          records couldn't be played on a record player) and a book. The device
          played only one record at a time, however, not several simultaneously.
          I think about 1,000 were released by the Pure Freude label of
          Dusseldorf (which was linked to Der Plan, those other German New Wave
          pranksters).

          There's a picture of it on the Doris website (www.die-toedliche-
          doris.de) which also has MP3 soundfiles of all their recordings,
          including a live performance of Choere & Soli, where a chattering and
          unimpressed audience drowns out the actual play backs.

          Cheers,
          Carl
        • Perfect Sound Forever
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 6, 2002
            >From: John Jones <jahminguk@...>
            >That editorial was awful: I mean, Mr Young has a right to his tastes but
            >when he starts making an argument about the Lips not being valid because
            >it won't last ten years...how the fuck does he know what's gonna sound
            >good in ten years? What kind of dumb, post-historicist, transcendtalist
            >criticism is this. Sounds like something a Mojo writer would argue.

            ...which is something much more toothsome than you would see in most any
            American music magazine. True, he's going out on a limb but a good editor
            and a good writer has the courage of their convictions to do this sometimes
            rather than simply praise or damn each new release.

            I know I'm in the minority but I happen to agree with Rob on this point, by
            the way. I think the ideas behind the experiments that the Lips execute
            (the 4-CD set, the boombox symphonies) are much more interesting and
            satisfying than the music itself and even then, I don't think that will
            constitute any kind of enduring legacy.

            Best,
            Jason

            Perfect Sound Forever
            online music magazine
            perfect-sound@...
            http://www.perfectsoundforever.com
          • Davis Ford
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 7, 2002
              you appear to be new to the list, mr. toast. the
              aforementioned friend-of-the-list mightily commands
              the wit of a limp fork. most folks have put him on
              the email block list. why, you ask? well, b/c it is
              painfully sad to habitually read his cries for help.

              post-rock dull malaise, eh? actually, i've just dug
              out all those swell post-rock albums from the early
              90s, and begun listening again. after 10 years of
              dust, they still don't sound that bad.

              polvo, pavement, windsor for the derby, tortoise,
              ganger, fridge, etc., etc. this stuff still sounds
              good after 10 years. rob young's mileage may vary.
              actually, the new windsor for the derby is quite good.

              the strokes..man,what the fuck is that? i think i
              heard the strokes on tv once? you say that is a
              strong rock album? why is it that all the bands i see
              on mainstream tv and radio sound like the jon spencer
              blues explosion and similar cohorts? rewind ten years
              ago: why is it all the indie bands sound like garage
              bands of the 60s? mtv should fling out copies of
              crypt's back from the grave series and pebbles comps
              to these kids. on a similar note, why is it that jon
              spencer decayed into total crap - bell bottom irony?
              isn't there some other spotlight icon called the white
              stripes or something or other? from detroit, even? i
              used to live in detroit..we had a good handful of
              garage rock winners - bantam rooster, gories,
              demolition doll rods, dirt bombs, etc. jesus, it's
              like the world caught up to garage rock revival bands.
              too bad the good ones aren't getting a deserved
              paycheck.

              no-neck blues band is joyless nurdley rubbish? what
              the hell does nurdley mean?

              --- wingsoftoast <wingsoftoast@...> wrote:
              > blimey- do you two know each other or something???
              > cool your boots
              > davis!
              > personally the whole rev being a bit dull thing to
              > me is just part of
              > a wider post-rock dullness malaise (apart from the
              > boredoms and
              > selected acid mothers bits) - rock seems to have as
              > much in common
              > with fashion as it does with classical / jazz / folk
              > - the spurious
              > quest for novelty for its own sake. The Strokes
              > album is easily the
              > strongest 'rock' album of the last year despite the
              > fact that it
              > sounds just like Television (why is originality such
              > a big deal in
              > the age of mechanical reproduction?)- though i
              > bought stuff by Jackie-
              > O and the No-Necks i can't help feeling that it's
              > somewhat joyless
              > nurdley rubbish - emerson lake and palmer without
              > the money / pomp-
              > vague? to like post-rock is to buy into a myth and
              > i'd rather be
              > entertained myth or no myth.
              >
              > a lot of post-rock bands seem to wear the badge of
              > 'improvisation' as
              > if this was some sort of seal of quality in itself -
              > what they forget
              > is that spontanaeity is part of any truly creative
              > act (see cocteau
              > or wagner for similar viewpoint)whether written on a
              > page or blown
              > straight out of a saxophone. aside from this they
              > all seem to be
              > slightly overweight and bald.

              ha! i can name one such culprit - anyone remember an
              album by some jokers called storm and stress on drag
              city 50 million years ago? what a crock of shit that
              was..but it got rave reviews -- "they are really
              encroaching on new territory", 'they' espoused. Give
              me Derek Bailey's worst plonking. i don't think those
              guys were bald, though.

              > on a final note - brainfuck fans should check out
              > the last hour of
              > wagner's 'tristan and isolde' for a totally
              > unexpected and completely
              > devastatingly fucking fantastic direct to the
              > motherlode experience -
              > oh and the wire was right a couple of issues ago
              > about shirley
              > collins (who'd have though folk could be so
              > untweediddly?)
              >
              > pete

              grady, i feel bad for you. if you want public
              humiliation, why not just paint yourself naked green
              and go stand in the middle of a NASCAR race?
              follow-ups to alt.flame if you want to continue this
              (i'm game). don't bore the people here, though.

              > --- In thewire@y..., "gradyfinklemyer"
              > <gradyfinklemyer@y...> wrote:
              > > Wow that's funny. Did you recently purchase a
              > sense of humour from
              > > someone? But seriously, could you recommend which
              > David Hasselhoff
              > > cd's sound best when you're on your treadmill? Oh,
              > I forgot, you
              > only
              > > listen to "stoner metal". Hey everyone, just
              > picture Davis
              > pretending
              > > to be a stoner whilst listening to his stoner
              > metal. Did your
              > little
              > > school mates call you a "poseur" when you were in
              > junior high/high
              > > school?
              > >

              > > --- In thewire@y..., Davis Ford <davisford@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > > good one, carrot top. hey, next time you want
              > to eat
              > > > a pumpkin-head full of peyote and go lie down in
              > the
              > > > desert let me know. we'll take the
              > ghetto-blaster and
              > > > nothing but missy elliot and keiji haino cds!
              > > > woops...forgot about destroying your "life".
              > > >
              > > > 1-800-CALL-ATT, good buddy!

              > Who
              > music

              > > > Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes
              > > > http://finance.yahoo.com

              http://finance.yahoo.com
            • gradyfinklemyer
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 7, 2002
                Ya see, what I done did was, I took me my fishin' pole down to the
                lake, and I put me some good bait on that there hook, then I cast out
                into that there water. Waddya know, befo' long them davisfort fish
                was uh jumpin' n'bitin' at that there bait like crazy. Yippee. Also,
                Davis if'n you wants to know what "nurdley" means, just have a look
                see in your mirror.

              • A.S. Van Dorston
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 8, 2002
                  Olias Nil of the recently defunct The Fire Show wrote a nice tribute to
                  seven artists who deserved a bigger audience than they had -- The Velvet
                  Underground, The Fall, Robert Wyatt, Public Image Ltd., Arto Lindsay (DNA,
                  Ambitious Lovers & solo), The Birthday Party and This Heat.

                  http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/watw/02-06/fire-show.shtml

                  What should we add to that list?

                  Mine:
                  Captain Beefheart: Often misunderstood with Trout Mask Replica as a Zappa
                  protege delving in weirdness for weirdness' sake, on parts of Lick My
                  Decals, Clear Spot, Shiny Beast, Doc At The Radar Station and Ice Cream For
                  Crow Beefheart was actually as lucid, sharp, terse and powerful as anything
                  in post-punk's oeuvre.

                  Sun Ra: Wrongly written off as a loony by many jazz fans, Sun Ra mastered
                  big band jazz in the 50s and went on to be a pioneer in avant-garde jazz,
                  was a mentor to John Gilmore who was just as good as players like Archie
                  Shepp and Ornette Coleman, and a body of work larger than Duke Ellington
                  and Miles Davis combined.

                  James Blood Ulmer: A protégé of Ornette Coleman, hugely influenced by Jimi
                  Hendrix, his unique mix of jazz, blues, rock and avant-garde was hard to
                  pigeonhole, and he never fully got the acclaim he deserved. Even
                  Beefheart's later albums had more influence among the post-punk crowd than
                  Ulmer's Tales Of Captain Black (1978), Are You Glad To Be In America?
                  (1980), Free Lancing (1981), Black Rock (1982), Odyssey (1983).

                  Fela Kuti: Often maligned by critics for his somewhat rudimentary horn
                  playing, and James Brown influence, Fela deserved far more respect than
                  that. Inventing Afro-Beat is nothing to sneeze at, he was a dynamo
                  performer and band leader, and was regularly beaten and jailed for his
                  outspoken politics. Who's willing to go through that for their art these days?

                  Tom Zé: Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil founded Tropicália and were jailed
                  and deported by the corrupt Brazilian dictatorship. But along with Os
                  Mutantes, Zé gave the Tropicálistas their wildly anarchic, creative
                  edge. The classically trained trickster was presumed missing/in hiding in
                  the 70s, but actually he made four of his most brilliant albums -- Se O
                  Caso É Chorar (1972), Todos os Olhos (1973), Estudando o Samba (1975), and
                  Correio da Estação do Brás (1978). It wasn't until David Byrne reissued a
                  compilation in 1989 that more than a handful of people heard of him.

                  Roy Harper: A former folkie who was pals with Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin
                  (who paid tribute to him on "Hats Off To Harper" on III), he put out a
                  string of stunning albums that were unknown to the mainstream audiences of
                  both bands, and is just now are starting to show influences on people like
                  Jim O'Rourke. On Stormcock ('71), "The Same Old Rock" features some hot
                  guitar playing by Jimmy Page (playing under the pseudonym S. Flavius
                  Mercurius). Lifemask ('73), Valentine ('74) and HQ ('75) are increasingly
                  adventurous.

                  Peter Hammill: Like Robert Wyatt, Robert Fripp and Fred Frith, Hammill is a
                  prog player (Van Der Graaf Generator) who transcended the genre in his solo
                  albums: Nadir's Big Chance ('74), Over ('75), and The Future Now ('78) are
                  dark, intense albums. John Lydon cited him as an influence along with Can
                  and Beefheart.

                  Fast 'n' Bulbous Music Webzine
                  www.fastnbulbous.com

                  Fast 'n' Bulbous Radio presents Fester's Bucket O' Nasties
                  www.live365.com/stations/fastnbulbous

                  Help save Internet radio, write to Congress
                  http://www.voiceofwebcasters.org/smallwebfax.htm

                • jamello@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 8, 2002
                    Agree with some of those already mentioned (although some of them seemed
                    pretty well recognized in their categories). A few off the top of my head:

                    Out jazz -- Circle, The Necks
                    Electronic -- Patrick Pulsinger
                    Rock/pop -- Redd Kross, Silver Sun

                  • John Farrar
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 9, 2002
                      > What should we add to that list?

                      Mine:
                      Captain Beefheart:

                      Hmmm, I think he has a pretty large fan base.

                      James Blood Ulmer:

                      True! I've only heard "Are You Glad To Be In America" - extraordinary
                      album!

                      Roy Harper:

                      Again spot on! The double live is superb. "When an Old Crickerter Leaves
                      the Crease" never fails to moisten the eyes.

                      Peter Hammill:

                      And again! He's got some new stuff out hasn't he?

                      Maybe add:

                      Andy Roberts - "Nina and the Dream Tree" was an amazing album.

                      The Residents - OK, may have a reasonably sized cult following, but still
                      mainly unknown.

                      Gene Clark - "No Other" was the classic Americana album - before the genre
                      was born.

                      Wire - Seem to have recently been the band to name check. But no-one
                      mentioned them much in the late 79s and early 80s.

                      John F.
                    • A.S. Van Dorston
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 9, 2002
                        I don't know how "large" Beefheart's following is. Sure, a lot of people know about him and may have heard something from Trout Mask. But how many people do you actually know who own his albums? I can count them on one hand.
                        Gene Clark and Residents are good ones. I just got the reissued White Light (1971) which is good but not amazing. No Other really needs to be reissued -- I haven't heard it. I'm giong to trade for a CDR with someone soon -- it must have been dubbed from vinyl.
                        Having been into post-punk for a long time, it seems that every other band is compared to them in some way, which goes to show how they were really quite well known.
                        T.
                        John Farrar wrote:> What should we add to that list?

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 9, 2002
                          > I don't know how "large" Beefheart's following is. Sure, a lot of people
                          know about him and may have heard something from Trout Mask. But how many
                          people do you actually know who own his albums? I can count them on one
                          hand.

                          Well, me anyway..... I went to his shows in the UK in the 70s and they
                          were always sold out. But, of course, I suppose it's all relative.

                          There were other bands from the US that seemed to be a lot less recognised
                          than they should have been: Spirit, Steve Miller Band and later, Giant
                          Sand.

                          > Having been into post-punk for a long time, it seems that every other band
                          is compared to them (Wire) in some way, which goes to show how they were
                          really quite well known.

                          On the other hand, Wire gigs were pretty poorly attended during the period
                          of their first couple of albums.

                          Oh, and how about John Martyn, Michael Rother, The Comsat Angels, Viv
                          Stanshall, The Chameleons, Kevin Ayres, XTC.....

                          John F.
                        • trommer
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 9, 2002
                            i'd have to throw talk talk in there as well, from 'the colour of spring'
                            on, anyhow.
                          • tasha yee-king
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 13, 2002
                              Price of tasmanian fish check its fresh meat think about it on your cloven shoesJohn Farrar <jfarrar@...> wrote:
                              > I don't know how "large" Beefheart's following is. Sure, a lot of people
                              know about him and may have heard something from Trout Mask. But how many
                              people do you actually know who own his albums? I can count them on one
                              hand.

                              Well, me anyway..... I went to his shows in the UK in the 70s and they
                              were always sold out. But, of course, I suppose it's all relative.

                              There were other bands from the US that seemed to be a lot less recognised
                              than they should have been: Spirit, Steve Miller Band and later, Giant
                              Sand.

                              > Having been into post-punk for a long time, it seems that every other band
                              is compared to them (Wire) in some way, which goes to show how they were
                              really quite well known.

                              On the other hand, Wire gigs were pretty poorly attended during the period
                              of their first couple of albums.

                              Oh, and how about John Martyn, Michael Rother, The Comsat Angels, Viv
                              Stanshall, The Chameleons, Kevin Ayres, XTC.....

                              John F.

                              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                              TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]