Re: radian

  • majounrecordings
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
      If you enjoyed their earlier recordings you might like the new
      album as well. I've only listened to a promo copy at a friend's
      place, and quite liked it.

      They've kept the main formula of their music - a
      postrockish/minimal crossover, very basic instrumentation -, but
      the music sounds more cohesive and structured than on earlier
      efforts. John McEntire's production is more straightforward than
      the sparser earlier albums, but keeps their distinctive sound.

      As I said, it's really enjoyable. My only bone of contention would
      be that it felt a bit as if I might have enjoyed it more two years
      earlier - it sounded somewhat self-referential, like a refinement
      of what they used to do anyway without opening up in some way
      or other.

      Probably that impression will change with more in-depth
      listening, though from what I understand, they only did the album
      because McEntire talked them into it (they've been more or less
      inactive since early 2000). As a statement, the earlier records
      were more impressive.

      Hope that helps,
      Carl

      --- In thewire@y..., greg curtis <gregcurtis2001@y...> wrote:
      > has anyone heard the new radian? i had an early ep
      > (single?) from them which i really liked but not quite
      > sure what direction they took on their latest.
      >
      > thanks!
      >
      > gc

      > http://finance.yahoo.com
    • greg curtis
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2002
        thanks carl and manny. think i'm gonna keep my eye on
        the used bin and see if it pops up.

        they are playing tonight in nyc (part of thrill jockey
        celebration) but i didn't realize this until today :(
        i already have tix for the calla/walkmen show tonight.

        cheers,

        gc

        http://finance.yahoo.com