Re: [thewire] radian

  • manny@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
      I wish I could tell you exactly what Radian sounds like since i'm doing
      a show for them in Oct, but Thrill Jockey didn't send me a CD in the
      promo packet I got. Suffice it to say their debut full-length was on
      both Mego and Rhiz, which infuses it with mighty hipness. The kit says
      their performances use a combination of traditional rock instrumentation
      with synths and samplers, they've shared the stage with Tortoise and
      Tony Conrad, played festivals like Ars Electronica and All Tomorrow's
      Parties, and have a "cult-like status" within the American electronic/IDM
      community. So in essence, they're part of that Teutonic postrock stuff,
      or maybe "post-techno."

      On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, greg curtis wrote:

      > has anyone heard the new radian? i had an early ep
      > (single?) from them which i really liked but not quite
      > sure what direction they took on their latest.
      >
      > thanks!
      >
      > gc

    • majounrecordings
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
        If you enjoyed their earlier recordings you might like the new
        album as well. I've only listened to a promo copy at a friend's
        place, and quite liked it.

        They've kept the main formula of their music - a
        postrockish/minimal crossover, very basic instrumentation -, but
        the music sounds more cohesive and structured than on earlier
        efforts. John McEntire's production is more straightforward than
        the sparser earlier albums, but keeps their distinctive sound.

        As I said, it's really enjoyable. My only bone of contention would
        be that it felt a bit as if I might have enjoyed it more two years
        earlier - it sounded somewhat self-referential, like a refinement
        of what they used to do anyway without opening up in some way
        or other.

        Probably that impression will change with more in-depth
        listening, though from what I understand, they only did the album
        because McEntire talked them into it (they've been more or less
        inactive since early 2000). As a statement, the earlier records
        were more impressive.

        Hope that helps,
        Carl

        --- In thewire@y..., greg curtis <gregcurtis2001@y...> wrote:
        > has anyone heard the new radian? i had an early ep
        > (single?) from them which i really liked but not quite
        > sure what direction they took on their latest.
        >
        > thanks!
        >
        > gc

        > http://finance.yahoo.com
      • greg curtis
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2002
          thanks carl and manny. think i'm gonna keep my eye on
          the used bin and see if it pops up.

          they are playing tonight in nyc (part of thrill jockey
          celebration) but i didn't realize this until today :(
          i already have tix for the calla/walkmen show tonight.

          cheers,

          gc

          http://finance.yahoo.com