Re: [thewire] Re: polvo

  • jamello@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
      In a message dated 9/5/2002 11:57:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      tropicalmonkey@... writes:

      > http://www.infinitechug.co.uk/ for them and more. Great site!

      god, that site's an eye f*ck.

    • manny@telerama.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
        I wish I could tell you exactly what Radian sounds like since i'm doing
        a show for them in Oct, but Thrill Jockey didn't send me a CD in the
        promo packet I got. Suffice it to say their debut full-length was on
        both Mego and Rhiz, which infuses it with mighty hipness. The kit says
        their performances use a combination of traditional rock instrumentation
        with synths and samplers, they've shared the stage with Tortoise and
        Tony Conrad, played festivals like Ars Electronica and All Tomorrow's
        Parties, and have a "cult-like status" within the American electronic/IDM
        community. So in essence, they're part of that Teutonic postrock stuff,
        or maybe "post-techno."

        On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, greg curtis wrote:

        > has anyone heard the new radian? i had an early ep
        > (single?) from them which i really liked but not quite
        > sure what direction they took on their latest.
        >
        > thanks!
        >
        > gc

      • majounrecordings
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
          If you enjoyed their earlier recordings you might like the new
          album as well. I've only listened to a promo copy at a friend's
          place, and quite liked it.

          They've kept the main formula of their music - a
          postrockish/minimal crossover, very basic instrumentation -, but
          the music sounds more cohesive and structured than on earlier
          efforts. John McEntire's production is more straightforward than
          the sparser earlier albums, but keeps their distinctive sound.

          As I said, it's really enjoyable. My only bone of contention would
          be that it felt a bit as if I might have enjoyed it more two years
          earlier - it sounded somewhat self-referential, like a refinement
          of what they used to do anyway without opening up in some way
          or other.

          Probably that impression will change with more in-depth
          listening, though from what I understand, they only did the album
          because McEntire talked them into it (they've been more or less
          inactive since early 2000). As a statement, the earlier records
          were more impressive.

          Hope that helps,
          Carl

          --- In thewire@y..., greg curtis <gregcurtis2001@y...> wrote:
          > has anyone heard the new radian? i had an early ep
          > (single?) from them which i really liked but not quite
          > sure what direction they took on their latest.
          >
          > thanks!
          >
          > gc

          > http://finance.yahoo.com
        • greg curtis
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2002
            thanks carl and manny. think i'm gonna keep my eye on
            the used bin and see if it pops up.

            they are playing tonight in nyc (part of thrill jockey
            celebration) but i didn't realize this until today :(
            i already have tix for the calla/walkmen show tonight.

            cheers,

            gc

            http://finance.yahoo.com