polvo

  • Steven Wainwright
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
      Rev need to re-employ the destabilising talents of the original singer (David something?), drag the flautist back from her law degree and play more 30min sax-based drone versions of A Very Sleepy River.

      Playing 'Murray Street' recently made me all nostalgic for that early-mid 90s US ramshackle stuff - especially Polvo. I unleashed my copies of 'Today's Active Lifestyles' and 'Celebrate the New Dark Age' - what a band! Are they still with us?

      [np kevin drumm 1]

      >>>hmm..completely dull now. i've never heard music that
      >>>emits more yawns. back in the day, tho.. boces,
      >>>yerself is steam, etc., they were a great band. maybe
      >>>they need to get back into drugs and reform.

      _
    • luka zagoricnik
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
        Hello!

        As i know Polvo 's last release was album ''Shapes'', released in 1997 on
        Touch & Go. Their vocalist and guitarists plays also in a band Helium, but
        as i know they re on hold. But he did release his solo cd under the name
        LIBRANESS a. The title of it is: YESTERDAY ... AND TOMORROW's SHELLS and it
        is more in a Polvo's mood. Check more on the TIGERSTYLE records website:
        www.tigerstylerecords.com

        As Mercury Rev is concerned i also like them more in early period. When the
        singer departure i saw them live in Slovenia. They were not so bad but
        still... They played some old stuff which was nice and they did also a Nick
        Cave cover and Neil Young's Cortez The Killer...

        all best LukaZ

        >From: "Steven Wainwright" <steven@...>
        >To: <thewire@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [thewire] polvo
        >Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:31:47 +0100
        >

        >Rev need to re-employ the destabilising talents of the original singer
        >(David something?), drag the flautist back from her law degree and play
        >more 30min sax-based drone versions of A Very Sleepy River.
        >
        >Playing 'Murray Street' recently made me all nostalgic for that early-mid
        >90s US ramshackle stuff - especially Polvo. I unleashed my copies of
        >'Today's Active Lifestyles' and 'Celebrate the New Dark Age' - what a band!
        >Are they still with us?

        >[np kevin drumm 1]

        >_

      • greg curtis
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
          has anyone heard the new radian? i had an early ep
          (single?) from them which i really liked but not quite
          sure what direction they took on their latest.

          thanks!

          gc

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • anton_sporz
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
            Hello,

            > nostalgic for that early-mid 90s US ramshackle stuff - especially
            Polvo. I unleashed my copies of 'Today's Active Lifestyles'
            and 'Celebrate the New Dark Age' - what a band!

            Brighton's (?) 'I'm being Good' filled the Polvo shaped hole in my
            life last time I saw them. They were very ace.

            http://www.infinitechug.co.uk/ for them and more. Great site!

            Ben
          • jamello@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
              In a message dated 9/5/2002 11:57:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              tropicalmonkey@... writes:

              > http://www.infinitechug.co.uk/ for them and more. Great site!

              god, that site's an eye f*ck.

            • manny@telerama.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
                I wish I could tell you exactly what Radian sounds like since i'm doing
                a show for them in Oct, but Thrill Jockey didn't send me a CD in the
                promo packet I got. Suffice it to say their debut full-length was on
                both Mego and Rhiz, which infuses it with mighty hipness. The kit says
                their performances use a combination of traditional rock instrumentation
                with synths and samplers, they've shared the stage with Tortoise and
                Tony Conrad, played festivals like Ars Electronica and All Tomorrow's
                Parties, and have a "cult-like status" within the American electronic/IDM
                community. So in essence, they're part of that Teutonic postrock stuff,
                or maybe "post-techno."

                On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, greg curtis wrote:

                > has anyone heard the new radian? i had an early ep
                > (single?) from them which i really liked but not quite
                > sure what direction they took on their latest.
                >
                > thanks!
                >
                > gc

              • majounrecordings
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
                  If you enjoyed their earlier recordings you might like the new
                  album as well. I've only listened to a promo copy at a friend's
                  place, and quite liked it.

                  They've kept the main formula of their music - a
                  postrockish/minimal crossover, very basic instrumentation -, but
                  the music sounds more cohesive and structured than on earlier
                  efforts. John McEntire's production is more straightforward than
                  the sparser earlier albums, but keeps their distinctive sound.

                  As I said, it's really enjoyable. My only bone of contention would
                  be that it felt a bit as if I might have enjoyed it more two years
                  earlier - it sounded somewhat self-referential, like a refinement
                  of what they used to do anyway without opening up in some way
                  or other.

                  Probably that impression will change with more in-depth
                  listening, though from what I understand, they only did the album
                  because McEntire talked them into it (they've been more or less
                  inactive since early 2000). As a statement, the earlier records
                  were more impressive.

                  Hope that helps,
                  Carl

                  --- In thewire@y..., greg curtis <gregcurtis2001@y...> wrote:
                  > has anyone heard the new radian? i had an early ep
                  > (single?) from them which i really liked but not quite
                  > sure what direction they took on their latest.
                  >
                  > thanks!
                  >
                  > gc

                  > http://finance.yahoo.com
                • greg curtis
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2002
                    thanks carl and manny. think i'm gonna keep my eye on
                    the used bin and see if it pops up.

                    they are playing tonight in nyc (part of thrill jockey
                    celebration) but i didn't realize this until today :(
                    i already have tix for the calla/walkmen show tonight.

                    cheers,

                    gc

                    http://finance.yahoo.com