Re: [thewire] No Sound is Innocent

  • Andrew Cox
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10, 2002
      Saturday, August 10, 2002, 1:45:23 PM Patrick wrote:

      > greeting all,

      > I have been looking for a copy of this book by Eddie Prevost. It appears to
      > be out of print. Any one looking to sell a used copy? has any oneon this
      > list read this work?

      ReR have it - http://www.rermegacorp.com/index.htm

      I read it a while ago - I dimly remember the first couple of chapters
      being good, but then he started saying how music SHOULD be created, at
      which point I gave up. I'm interested in other peoples philosophies,
      but not in being instructed to follow someone else's rules.
    • luka zagoricnik
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2002
        Hello!

        I ordered Eddie Prevost's book (cited there as Edvin) a year ago thru amazon
        (www.amazon.com) and i've seen it beeing on sale at this year's
        Konfrontationen festival in Nickelsdorf/Austria... I won't discuss and do
        polemics on its content but thru the perspective of ''no sound is innocent''
        and ''taking the full resposibility of sounds that you produce in
        spontaneous soundstream'' is the way to look the apperance of MIMEO on this
        yr Nickelsdorf fest. The concert was lame and meaningless (where was
        everyone's resposibility and courage for istance of Keith Rowe who is a part
        of Prevost philosophy and etics???).

        all best LukaZ/Radio Student/Slovenia

        www.radiostudent.si

      • jonabbey2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2002
          In a message dated 8/14/02 10:36:27 AM, destroyern1@... writes:

          << I won't discuss and do polemics on its content but thru the perspective of
          ''no sound is innocent'' and ''taking the full resposibility of sounds that
          you produce in
          spontaneous soundstream'' is the way to look the apperance of MIMEO on this
          yr Nickelsdorf fest. The concert was lame and meaningless (where was
          everyone's resposibility and courage for istance of Keith Rowe who is a part
          of Prevost philosophy and etics???). >>

          first of all, despite having worked together for more than 35 years, Rowe and
          Prevost are decidedly different people, with different opinions on many
          things. I'm sure that Rowe would be happy to take his share of responsibility
          for the music created in Nickelsdorf, but Eddie doesn't speak for him, just
          as he doesn't speak for Eddie.

          next, MIMEO's set at Nickelsdorf. I wasn't there (first MIMEO set I've missed
          in a few years), but no one seemed very happy with it, onlookers or
          musicians. one reason for this, which was obvious to me before the concert,
          is that MIMEO doesn't work well when placed into a standard free improv
          concert setting (playing for 45-60 minutes with no structure). you have
          twelve musicians who spend most of the year playing solo and duo sets,
          filling up entire soundscapes themselves, and when you combine this with the
          natural adrenaline and excitement present when the band assembles for one or
          two shows a year, chaos will usually ensue.

          Hans Falb (the promoter) should have known this, especially as he booked an
          early incarnation of the band previously, and given them a much longer time
          slot, a full night would have made sense, maybe with subgroupings. MIMEO is
          also at fault, of course, not just for playing a subpar set (although you
          might be surprised to hear a recording of it later. I haven't heard this one,
          but as they play through multiple speaker systems, there's typically no spot
          in the room where you can hear an even mix of all 12 musicians. the reports I
          heard from Nickelsdorf was that the speaker system was placed very unusually,
          probably also a large factor in your unhappiness.), but for agreeing to play
          a single set beforehand.

          the band was very unhappy about the Nickelsdorf show also, and are currently
          engaged in extensive discussions regarding the specific future of the group
          (pretty sure they're not breaking up, but they'd like to avoid situations
          like this in the future).

          Jon
          www.erstwhilerecords.com
        • luka zagoricnik
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 16, 2002
            Hello!

            I do agree with everything you wrote, especially witnessing a fine
            performance (althouht Kevin Drumm said it was shit) of MIMEO last year in
            Angelica festival w Tilbury ( which was in fact kind of normal festival gig
            traped in hour and a half) and three italian guest musicians which you
            released also on cd (why didn't you release it as a double cd?). As
            concerned the Nickelsdorf performance it must be said that off the record i
            have heard that according to the original plan MIMEO should play the last
            one on the night and extend their performance till the next morning or even
            more. Suppously the reason that they didn't do that is the fact that the
            sponsors were against it. Althought i know that Hans Falb is having constant
            difficulties with the financial background for his long time going affair
            (who doesn't in this music circles), but its hard to belive that he would
            agree with that...

            all best Luka Zagoricnik/radio Student/Slovenia
            www.radiostudent.si

          • jonabbey2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2002
              In a message dated 8/16/02 11:09:40 AM, destroyern1@... writes:

              << witnessing a fine performance (althouht Kevin Drumm said it was shit) of
              MIMEO last year in Angelica festival w Tilbury>>

              I was in Bologna (Angelica) also, and I didn't think it was a great set there
              either, although it was a long, stressful day leading up to it, so my
              perceptions were probably a bit skewed. most of the musicians didn't like the
              set that day either, partly because they couldn't hear everyone else in an
              equal balance, and partly because the piece required them to remain
              especially subdued in order to mesh with Tilbury, which was frustrating to
              them since they hadn't performed together for a year prior. the success of
              the CD is a tribute both to the music which was actually played that day (as
              opposed to what the audience could hear, sitting in a stationary position)
              and to the studio wizardry of Marcus Schmickler, who coordinated three
              different recordings of this concert into the piece heard on the CD.

              <<which was in fact kind of normal festival gig traped in hour and a half) >>

              no, it wasn't at all, which was kind of my original point. there was a
              structure imposed beforehand, both by the mere presence of the piano, and by
              Rowe's asking the musicians to support either Tilbury or Cor Fuhler (who
              played inside the same piano simultaneously). this very loose structure
              helped the quality of the music greatly, I think.

              <<and three italian guest musicians which you
              released also on cd (why didn't you release it as a double cd?). >>

              what I do with Erstwhile isn't straight documentation of performances, but
              more a curated series of very specific collaborations. the plan all along was
              to release the MIMEO/Tilbury performance, which is what I did.

              Jon
              www.erstwhilerecords.com
            • luka zagoricnik
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 17, 2002