No Sound is Innocent

  • Patrick Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10, 2002
      greeting all,

      I have been looking for a copy of this book by Eddie Prevost. It appears to
      be out of print. Any one looking to sell a used copy? has any oneon this
      list read this work?

      peace,

      Patrick
    • Andrew Cox
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 10, 2002
        Saturday, August 10, 2002, 1:45:23 PM Patrick wrote:

        > greeting all,

        > I have been looking for a copy of this book by Eddie Prevost. It appears to
        > be out of print. Any one looking to sell a used copy? has any oneon this
        > list read this work?

        ReR have it - http://www.rermegacorp.com/index.htm

        I read it a while ago - I dimly remember the first couple of chapters
        being good, but then he started saying how music SHOULD be created, at
        which point I gave up. I'm interested in other peoples philosophies,
        but not in being instructed to follow someone else's rules.
      • luka zagoricnik
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2002
          Hello!

          I ordered Eddie Prevost's book (cited there as Edvin) a year ago thru amazon
          (www.amazon.com) and i've seen it beeing on sale at this year's
          Konfrontationen festival in Nickelsdorf/Austria... I won't discuss and do
          polemics on its content but thru the perspective of ''no sound is innocent''
          and ''taking the full resposibility of sounds that you produce in
          spontaneous soundstream'' is the way to look the apperance of MIMEO on this
          yr Nickelsdorf fest. The concert was lame and meaningless (where was
          everyone's resposibility and courage for istance of Keith Rowe who is a part
          of Prevost philosophy and etics???).

          all best LukaZ/Radio Student/Slovenia

          www.radiostudent.si

        • jonabbey2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2002
            In a message dated 8/14/02 10:36:27 AM, destroyern1@... writes:

            << I won't discuss and do polemics on its content but thru the perspective of
            ''no sound is innocent'' and ''taking the full resposibility of sounds that
            you produce in
            spontaneous soundstream'' is the way to look the apperance of MIMEO on this
            yr Nickelsdorf fest. The concert was lame and meaningless (where was
            everyone's resposibility and courage for istance of Keith Rowe who is a part
            of Prevost philosophy and etics???). >>

            first of all, despite having worked together for more than 35 years, Rowe and
            Prevost are decidedly different people, with different opinions on many
            things. I'm sure that Rowe would be happy to take his share of responsibility
            for the music created in Nickelsdorf, but Eddie doesn't speak for him, just
            as he doesn't speak for Eddie.

            next, MIMEO's set at Nickelsdorf. I wasn't there (first MIMEO set I've missed
            in a few years), but no one seemed very happy with it, onlookers or
            musicians. one reason for this, which was obvious to me before the concert,
            is that MIMEO doesn't work well when placed into a standard free improv
            concert setting (playing for 45-60 minutes with no structure). you have
            twelve musicians who spend most of the year playing solo and duo sets,
            filling up entire soundscapes themselves, and when you combine this with the
            natural adrenaline and excitement present when the band assembles for one or
            two shows a year, chaos will usually ensue.

            Hans Falb (the promoter) should have known this, especially as he booked an
            early incarnation of the band previously, and given them a much longer time
            slot, a full night would have made sense, maybe with subgroupings. MIMEO is
            also at fault, of course, not just for playing a subpar set (although you
            might be surprised to hear a recording of it later. I haven't heard this one,
            but as they play through multiple speaker systems, there's typically no spot
            in the room where you can hear an even mix of all 12 musicians. the reports I
            heard from Nickelsdorf was that the speaker system was placed very unusually,
            probably also a large factor in your unhappiness.), but for agreeing to play
            a single set beforehand.

            the band was very unhappy about the Nickelsdorf show also, and are currently
            engaged in extensive discussions regarding the specific future of the group
            (pretty sure they're not breaking up, but they'd like to avoid situations
            like this in the future).

            Jon
            www.erstwhilerecords.com
          • luka zagoricnik
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2002
              Hello!

              I do agree with everything you wrote, especially witnessing a fine
              performance (althouht Kevin Drumm said it was shit) of MIMEO last year in
              Angelica festival w Tilbury ( which was in fact kind of normal festival gig
              traped in hour and a half) and three italian guest musicians which you
              released also on cd (why didn't you release it as a double cd?). As
              concerned the Nickelsdorf performance it must be said that off the record i
              have heard that according to the original plan MIMEO should play the last
              one on the night and extend their performance till the next morning or even
              more. Suppously the reason that they didn't do that is the fact that the
              sponsors were against it. Althought i know that Hans Falb is having constant
              difficulties with the financial background for his long time going affair
              (who doesn't in this music circles), but its hard to belive that he would
              agree with that...

              all best Luka Zagoricnik/radio Student/Slovenia
              www.radiostudent.si

            • jonabbey2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 16, 2002
                In a message dated 8/16/02 11:09:40 AM, destroyern1@... writes:

                << witnessing a fine performance (althouht Kevin Drumm said it was shit) of
                MIMEO last year in Angelica festival w Tilbury>>

                I was in Bologna (Angelica) also, and I didn't think it was a great set there
                either, although it was a long, stressful day leading up to it, so my
                perceptions were probably a bit skewed. most of the musicians didn't like the
                set that day either, partly because they couldn't hear everyone else in an
                equal balance, and partly because the piece required them to remain
                especially subdued in order to mesh with Tilbury, which was frustrating to
                them since they hadn't performed together for a year prior. the success of
                the CD is a tribute both to the music which was actually played that day (as
                opposed to what the audience could hear, sitting in a stationary position)
                and to the studio wizardry of Marcus Schmickler, who coordinated three
                different recordings of this concert into the piece heard on the CD.

                <<which was in fact kind of normal festival gig traped in hour and a half) >>

                no, it wasn't at all, which was kind of my original point. there was a
                structure imposed beforehand, both by the mere presence of the piano, and by
                Rowe's asking the musicians to support either Tilbury or Cor Fuhler (who
                played inside the same piano simultaneously). this very loose structure
                helped the quality of the music greatly, I think.

                <<and three italian guest musicians which you
                released also on cd (why didn't you release it as a double cd?). >>

                what I do with Erstwhile isn't straight documentation of performances, but
                more a curated series of very specific collaborations. the plan all along was
                to release the MIMEO/Tilbury performance, which is what I did.

                Jon
                www.erstwhilerecords.com
              • luka zagoricnik
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 17, 2002