Re: [thewire] Merzbox

  • jodi of lexiconoclast
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 6, 2002
      >does anyone have that merzbow 50 c.d. box set? it seems really good but too
      >impractical to purchase and listen to, but if some has it i'd like to know
      >what they think.

      I have it, and like it quite a bit. It's a Herculean task to listen
      to it all in a short period of time, but when it came out, I did a
      sort of Merzbow Primer on WFMU (a freeform radio station)

      I think you can still hear the Real Audio version from this page
      http://www.wfmu.org/Playlists/Douglas/dw.000824.html

      A highly subjective assortment of stuff, plus some commentary by me
      (jacked up on Krispy Kremes and coffee-in-a-can)

      - jodi

      -------
      Jodi Shapiro
      jodi@...
      http://www.lexiconoclast.com
    • John Eastridge
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 6, 2002
        jodi,

        how much was the box set? do you know mike lupica?

        john

        >From: jodi of lexiconoclast <jodi@...>
        >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [thewire] Merzbox
        >Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:59:09 -0400
        >
        > >does anyone have that merzbow 50 c.d. box set? it seems really good but
        >too
        > >impractical to purchase and listen to, but if some has it i'd like to
        >know
        > >what they think.
        >
        >I have it, and like it quite a bit. It's a Herculean task to listen
        >to it all in a short period of time, but when it came out, I did a
        >sort of Merzbow Primer on WFMU (a freeform radio station)
        >
        >I think you can still hear the Real Audio version from this page
        >http://www.wfmu.org/Playlists/Douglas/dw.000824.html
        >
        >A highly subjective assortment of stuff, plus some commentary by me
        >(jacked up on Krispy Kremes and coffee-in-a-can)
        >
        >- jodi
        >
        >-------
        >Jodi Shapiro
        >jodi@...
        >http://www.lexiconoclast.com

      • Simon Fay
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 11, 2002
          Kim (?) asked why some folk had it in for the Merzbox.
          IMO it just seems another exercise in gargantuanism in
          a world already stuffed to the gills with shite made
          meaningless by its predominant mediocrity and sheer
          bulk.

          SF

          "In the new world the characteristic unit will be
          small, highly mobile,
          independent and intelligent."
          - Robert Fripp (1974)

          "Trade Unions? Fuck off!" Rick Wakeman (5 minutes later)

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com
        • Olivier Borzeix
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 11, 2002
            Not so far from that subject... I heard (don't remember when though)
            that Mr. Akita decided he would put out one record a week (I might be
            exagerating but I really think he does it sometimes) when he heard
            Sun-Ra had more than 500 records out (don't even know if this is true
            either... I don't really like Sun Ra), doing so to beat him. Sounds
            silly as shit but, sometimes, I wonder.

            Anyways, refering to smthin stevo said earlier (I think), my way of
            apreciating Akita is just listening as much things as I can from him in
            shops and deciding which ones are worth and which aren't. So far not
            much did it to my CD's/LP's shelves.

            Olivier

            Simon Fay a écrit :

            > Kim (?) asked why some folk had it in for the Merzbox.
            > IMO it just seems another exercise in gargantuanism in
            > a world already stuffed to the gills with shite made
            > meaningless by its predominant mediocrity and sheer
            > bulk.
            >
            > SF
            >
            > "In the new world the characteristic unit will be
            > small, highly mobile,
            > independent and intelligent."
            > - Robert Fripp (1974)
            >
            > "Trade Unions? Fuck off!" Rick Wakeman (5 minutes later)

            > http://uk.my.yahoo.com
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            [Image]

          • chux
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 11, 2002
              I read that too (in The Wire #198) later Edwin Pouncey gives
              Akita/box a pearl necklace, "...an astonishing 50 CD
              celebrattion/examination... those who can find the high, but not
              exorbitant asking price...will discover that they have bought into
              something that goes far deeper than simply an elaborate piece of
              packaging."

              (later) Akita; "Some noise performers use bondage pictures without
              knowledge of the context of these images. When I use them I can
              explain the sociological context. These images in relation to my work
              are the result of research."

              Why aren't CDs penis shaped?

              chx

              --

              "meaning is the illusion of experience"
            • gradyfinklemyer
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 11, 2002
                I'm sure Akita put a lot of time, thought, and effort into each of
                the 50 discs in the box...uh huh...yeaaahhh.....or maybe he just fell
                asleep at the controls and decided to put out a lavish object d'art???

                --- In thewire@y..., Olivier Borzeix <oborzeix@s...> wrote:
                > Not so far from that subject... I heard (don't remember when though)
                > that Mr. Akita decided he would put out one record a week (I might
                be
                > exagerating but I really think he does it sometimes) when he heard
                > Sun-Ra had more than 500 records out (don't even know if this is
                true
                > either... I don't really like Sun Ra), doing so to beat him. Sounds
                > silly as shit but, sometimes, I wonder.
                >
                > Anyways, refering to smthin stevo said earlier (I think), my way of
                > apreciating Akita is just listening as much things as I can from
                him in
                > shops and deciding which ones are worth and which aren't. So far not
                > much did it to my CD's/LP's shelves.
                >
                > Olivier
                >
                > Simon Fay a écrit :
                >
                > > Kim (?) asked why some folk had it in for the Merzbox.
                > > IMO it just seems another exercise in gargantuanism in
                > > a world already stuffed to the gills with shite made
                > > meaningless by its predominant mediocrity and sheer
                > > bulk.
                > >
                > > SF
                > >
                > > "In the new world the characteristic unit will be
                > > small, highly mobile,
                > > independent and intelligent."
                > > - Robert Fripp (1974)
                > >
                > > "Trade Unions? Fuck off!" Rick Wakeman (5 minutes later)

                > > http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                > >
                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > [Image]

                > > TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

                Service.

              • Andrij
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 12, 2002
                  At 03:50 AM 8/12/02 +0000, you wrote:
                  >I'm sure Akita put a lot of time, thought, and effort into each of the 50
                  >discs in the box...uh huh...yeaaahhh.....or maybe he just fell asleep at
                  >the controls and decided to put out a lavish object d'art???

                  Or perhaps the 50 CDs are reissues of long out of print casettes and LPs,
                  and outtakes from the past 20 years.
                • gradyfinklemyer
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 12, 2002
                    Maybe so, but does that make it any more listenable? As far as 50
                    disc box sets go, I'd rather get Klaus Schulze's The Historic
                    Edition. At least it would be listenable. By the way, has anyone
                    heard it?

                    --- In thewire@y..., Andrij <andrij3@c...> wrote:
                    > At 03:50 AM 8/12/02 +0000, you wrote:
                    > >I'm sure Akita put a lot of time, thought, and effort into each of
                    the 50
                    > >discs in the box...uh huh...yeaaahhh.....or maybe he just fell
                    asleep at
                    > >the controls and decided to put out a lavish object d'art???
                    >
                    > Or perhaps the 50 CDs are reissues of long out of print casettes
                    and LPs,
                    > and outtakes from the past 20 years.
                  • Jim Flannery
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 12, 2002
                      Andrij wrote to wire:

                      A> Or perhaps the 50 CDs are reissues of long out of print casettes
                      A> and LPs, and outtakes from the past 20 years.

                      In fact, much of it is just that. People who actually want to know
                      what's in it could go to the Aquarius Records site, or pick up the
                      last issue of Chunklet, and read Andee's disc-by-disc reviews of the
                      whole box.

                      As far as "who would spend money on *that*" goes, I wonder the same
                      thing about smokers or people with new cars or children, all the time.
                      But really, what fucking business is it of anybody here what other
                      people do with their money?

                      --
                      Jim Flannery newgrange@...

                      Because they've created such a deep structure now, you can't
                      get in. And we don't want to get in, we're on the outside.
                      But we're not on the outside looking in, we're on the outside
                      looking out. -- John Zorn

                      np: Volcano the Bear, _The One Burned Ma_
                      nr: Mick Farren, _Give the Anarchist a Cigarette_
                    • reid tamashiro
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 12, 2002
                        --- Jim Flannery <NEWGRANGE@...> wrote:
                        > Andrij wrote to wire:
                        >
                        > A> Or perhaps the 50 CDs are reissues of long out of
                        > print casettes
                        > A> and LPs, and outtakes from the past 20 years.
                        >
                        > In fact, much of it is just that. People who
                        > actually want to know
                        > what's in it could go to the Aquarius Records site,
                        > or pick up the
                        > last issue of Chunklet, and read Andee's
                        > disc-by-disc reviews of the
                        > whole box.
                        >
                        > As far as "who would spend money on *that*" goes, I
                        > wonder the same
                        > thing about smokers or people with new cars or
                        > children, all the time.
                        > But really, what fucking business is it of anybody
                        > here what other
                        > people do with their money?

                        Besides, if your music collection runs in the
                        thousands, the question seems a bit comical. "What
                        fool would spend $500 on 50 cds?!...Uh, I gotta go
                        home a catalogue my 2,000+ collection..."

                        > --
                        > Jim Flannery
                        > newgrange@...
                        >
                        > Because they've created such a deep structure
                        > now, you can't
                        > get in. And we don't want to get in, we're on
                        > the outside.
                        > But we're not on the outside looking in, we're
                        > on the outside
                        > looking out.
                        > -- John Zorn
                        >
                        > np: Volcano the Bear, _The One Burned Ma_
                        > nr: Mick Farren, _Give the Anarchist a Cigarette_

                        HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                        http://www.hotjobs.com
                      • Olivier Borzeix
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 13, 2002
                          Jim Flannery a écrit :

                          > Andrij wrote to wire:
                          >
                          > A> Or perhaps the 50 CDs are reissues of long out of print casettes
                          > A> and LPs, and outtakes from the past 20 years.
                          >
                          > In fact, much of it is just that. People who actually want to know
                          > what's in it could go to the Aquarius Records site, or pick up the
                          > last issue of Chunklet, and read Andee's disc-by-disc reviews of the
                          > whole box.
                          >
                          > As far as "who would spend money on *that*" goes, I wonder the same
                          > thing about smokers or people with new cars or children, all the time.
                          >
                          > But really, what fucking business is it of anybody here what other
                          > people do with their money?

                          We're just discussing something man... take it easy... we just try to
                          understand the motivations one has to buy such kinda expensive boxset
                          and moreover, one which seems hard to swallow.

                          And actually I guess the original question was kind of a diversion of
                          the real question... which would be (at least in my case) "I like
                          Merzbow but can't afford to buy that item, so is there anybody here who
                          has it and who can make a review or tell us what is it like?"

                          Olivier

                        • stevolende
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 13, 2002
                            --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...> wrote:

                            > Besides, if your music collection runs in the
                            > thousands, the question seems a bit comical. "What
                            > fool would spend $500 on 50 cds?!...Uh, I gotta go
                            > home a catalogue my 2,000+ collection..."

                            from where i'm standing the answer to this and an earlier post from
                            you is that when you're collecting individual works and get a lot of
                            them, you've done so on a far more individual basis.
                            i.e. you have a big collection of one offs
                            if you get a 50 cd box you just have this monolithic bulk that you
                            need to work out how to break down yourself. to me that seems
                            daunting + somewhat artificial.

                            this reminds me, I keep lending a friend of mine stacks of cds , some
                            of which he burns to cdr, for this he burns me stuff.
                            The problem here that I keep finding is that he doesn't have time to
                            actually take in what he's been lent. He's normally got several other
                            things on the go at the same time.
                            To me, if you're picking up an artist's work over a period of time
                            you get the chance to find out what you like/dislike across his work.
                            If you're hit with a solid bulk you're just not going to get the
                            chance to do that.
                            This is something that gets talked about occasionally on 60s psych
                            lists +others that I'm on. How do you introduce a new listener to
                            the work of an artist? You know that the following records are
                            good....., that means several lps. But the newcomer is listening in
                            real time, so hasn't got the chance to let something grow on them the
                            way that somebody more familiar with the work would have. Trying to
                            convince somebody to stay on track with the music they're being
                            introduced to is impossible, shouldn't be tried cos its artificial.
                            The area of personal choice pretty obviously can't be dictated.
                            to get to points where you can discuss music might take a longer time
                            than you've got.
                            Is there a way around it? or is that like asking the length of a
                            piece of string?
                            stevo
                            Np Savage Republic Ceremonial
                          • spelias@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 13, 2002
                              In a message dated 8/13/02 10:01:24 AM Central Daylight Time,
                              stevolende@... writes:

                              << from where i'm standing >>

                              It seems that you have to be able to discriminate the trees from the forest.

                              There are people who we call 'collector scum' who will just buy things right
                              and left and never listen to them. They then attempt to sell them, several
                              years later, to other 'collector scum'.

                              Then, there are those of us who actually listen and enjoy the music. That
                              does take a bit of time but it's worth it. You learn, I think. You learn
                              who and what you like and you pursue those things. That's how I developed my
                              'collection'.
                            • reid tamashiro
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 13, 2002
                                --- stevolende <stevolende@...> wrote:
                                > --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Besides, if your music collection runs in the
                                > > thousands, the question seems a bit comical. "What
                                > > fool would spend $500 on 50 cds?!...Uh, I gotta go
                                > > home a catalogue my 2,000+ collection..."
                                > > >
                                > from where i'm standing the answer to this and an
                                > earlier post from
                                > you is that when you're collecting individual works
                                > and get a lot of
                                > them, you've done so on a far more individual basis.
                                > i.e. you have a big collection of one offs
                                > if you get a 50 cd box you just have this monolithic
                                > bulk that you
                                > need to work out how to break down yourself. to me
                                > that seems
                                > daunting + somewhat artificial.

                                I see your point about getting a huge collection in
                                one crack, but, even when you purchase albums
                                individually, you have to break down the music.
                                Rarely, can one live with a piece of music before
                                he/she purchases it. So you buy stuff, and you live
                                with it, and in the process get a better sense of what
                                you like.

                                > How do you introduce a new listener to
                                > the work of an artist? You know that the following
                                > records are good....., that means several lps. But
                                the newcomer is listening in real time, so hasn't got
                                the chance to let something grow on them the
                                > way that somebody more familiar with the work would
                                > have. Trying to convince somebody to stay on track
                                with the music they're being introduced to is
                                impossible, shouldn't be tried cos its artificial.
                                > The area of personal choice pretty obviously can't
                                > be dictated.
                                > to get to points where you can discuss music might
                                > take a longer time
                                > than you've got.
                                > Is there a way around it? or is that like asking the
                                > length of a
                                > piece of string?

                                If I understand you correctly, I don't think there is
                                a way around it. For some music (and depending on the
                                individual), it takes a significant amount of time to
                                get into. I don't see how you can get around that.
                                Hopefully, if they don't like it, they'll come back to
                                it at a later time.

                                Reid

                                HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                                http://www.hotjobs.com
                              • gary goldfinch
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 13, 2002
                                  13/08/02 16:24:38, spelias@... wrote:

                                  > You learn who and what you like and you pursue
                                  > those things. That's how I developed my
                                  >'collection'.

                                  in agreement here, I actually quite despise the term collection; it just sounds so
                                  obsessive. I normally refer to my accumulation. I know guys who'll just latch on to an
                                  artist and then buy up everything they can find by them... never works for me.

                                  Music takes time...

                                  .gary

                                  www.garyleeg.f9.co.uk
                                • R. Lim
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 13, 2002
                                    First off- I want to slightly amend the comments I made about the Japanese
                                    Independent Music book, specifically about how it doesn't seem like it was
                                    meant serve as an intro/overview. I finally sat down and read all the
                                    essays and Paul Collett's stands out as just that. I think there's an
                                    expanded version on his web-site (http://noise.as).

                                    On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, gradyfinklemyer wrote:

                                    > Maybe so, but does that make it any more listenable? As far as 50
                                    > disc box sets go, I'd rather get Klaus Schulze's The Historic
                                    > Edition. At least it would be listenable. By the way, has anyone

                                    The Historic Edition is only 10 CDs. You, no doubt, are referring to the
                                    Ultimate Edition (which incorporates the Silver Edition, the Historic
                                    Edition _and_ the Jubilee Edition):
                                    http://www.klaus-schulze.com/disco/7a01ul.htm.

                                    I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the Merzbox is a more interesting
                                    listen than any 64 hr collection of Schulze material (a guy who, if I'm
                                    not mistaken, hasn't done much of note in the last 20 years or so). On
                                    the other hand, I didn't realize there was only space in the world for one
                                    50 CD box.

                                    By the way, has anybody ever considered that the concept of (small e)
                                    extreme inherent in a 50 CD box set is a deliberate aesthetic choice that
                                    might be related to Akita's artistic pursuits?

                                    -rob

                                    --
                                    Janitor From Mars playlists and archives @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
                                  • John Eastridge
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 13, 2002
                                      i read the review of the merzbox in chunklet. some c.d.'s seemed a lot more
                                      interesting than others. is it possible to obtain single c.d.'s from the
                                      merzbox (legally). i have not the cash or thepatience for 50 fuckin' c.d.'s
                                      but 5 might be o.k.

                                      john

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 13, 2002
                                        --- spelias@... wrote:
                                        > Daylight Time,
                                        > stevolende@... writes:
                                        >
                                        > << from where i'm standing >>
                                        >

                                        > It seems that you have to be able to discriminate
                                        > the trees from the forest.
                                        >
                                        > There are people who we call 'collector scum' who
                                        > will just buy things right
                                        > and left and never listen to them. They then
                                        > attempt to sell them, several
                                        > years later, to other 'collector scum'.

                                        Is this mainly a British thing? I've never heard the
                                        music fans I hang with mention this.

                                        Reid
                                        --------- Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 13, 2002
                                          I'll take Schulze's 90's releases such as Beyond Recall, Royal
                                          Festival Hall 1,2, The Dome Event over any Merzbow release...much
                                          more interesting use of sound and the spaces between the sound. The
                                          only Merzbow I've heard that I like is The Sleeper Wakes on the Edge
                                          of the Abyss, and that is only because it is tweaked by Hermman.

                                          > I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the Merzbox is a more
                                          interesting
                                          > listen than any 64 hr collection of Schulze material (a guy who, if
                                          I'm
                                          > not mistaken, hasn't done much of note in the last 20 years or
                                          so). On
                                          > the other hand, I didn't realize there was only space in the world
                                          for one
                                          > 50 CD box.
                                          >
                                          > By the way, has anybody ever considered that the concept of (small
                                          e)
                                          > extreme inherent in a 50 CD box set is a deliberate aesthetic
                                          choice that
                                          > might be related to Akita's artistic pursuits?
                                          >
                                          > -rob
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Janitor From Mars playlists and archives @
                                          http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
                                        • Andrew Cox
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 13, 2002
                                            Wednesday, August 14, 2002, 3:51:47 AM reid wrote:
                                            > --- spelias@... wrote:
                                            <snip>
                                            >> There are people who we call 'collector scum' who
                                            <snip>
                                            > Is this mainly a British thing? I've never heard the
                                            > music fans I hang with mention this.

                                            No - not a common British attitude. Sounds like jealousy to me.
                                          • Olivier Borzeix
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 14, 2002
                                              Know what folks?

                                              I was just reading John Zorn's Mailing list's FAQ's and in it there is:

                                              "What's the deal with this 100 CD boxset?
                                              In an issue of The Wire, there was an advertisement for a 100 CD boxset
                                              of Zorn/Eye from their 1995 China tour. Supposedly, it is a limited
                                              edition of 1000 copies. Each CD will be variable length with the
                                              shortest at one second! Word is that the release date has been pushed
                                              back to Fall 1997, my guess is that is optimistic.
                                              More recent info seems to indicate that the project has been cancelled."

                                              The more it goes the more it looks like a Guinness book record contest!

                                              He he he he

                                              Olivier
                                            • John Eastridge
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 14, 2002
                                                its so weird to think 100,000 c.d.'s could be a limited edition.