re merzbow 50cd collection ++ processing music

  • stevolende
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2002
      --- In thewire@y..., "John Eastridge" <johneastridge@h...> wrote:

      > does anyone have that merzbow 50 c.d. box set? it seems really good
      but too
      > impractical to purchase and listen to, but if some has it i'd like
      to know
      > what they think.
      >
      > john

      his other cd massive purchase was a cd sealed into the player of an
      MG or other flash car wasn't it?
      wonder who buys those things?
      think the Grateful Dead 12 cd set was large enough for me.
      i'm sure somebody must be buying all those complete-collections-in-
      one-box sets by one artist.
      i think Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley or Charlie Parker(or whoever)
      would be a bit easier to tell whether or not you'd heard the track
      segment before .

      reminds me too of hearing about people buying over a certain amount
      of Music per month
      -going into the hundreds
      can anybody actually process all that music?
      It would seem to me that you're gonna be left with a great deal
      unheard.
      Was Merzbow one of the people who'd set themselves the task of
      hearing all recorded music by the time they died.
      or was that Masaki Batoh and KK Null?
      seems again a very artificial thing to do.

      I wonder how many listens it normally takes to take in a piece of
      music succesffully?
      or is that like asking how long is a piece of string?
      Stevo
      NpDon't let me suffer Gregory Isaacs, the Trojan reggae thing from
      last months Mojo
    • diskono2002
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2002
        Hey

        A friend of mine bought it and i find it impossible to get any sort
        of sensible overview on it, mainly because of the cost (£550).

        I think it's a pretty crazy object and worth it for humour value
        alone. You have to be mad to buy and it and listen to it. Saying that
        i like a lot of the early tape stuff. The last 35 CD's are tough
        going.

        Also, makes for a good conversation piece whenever you are stuck for
        something to say to the nice girl or (boy) standing next to you at
        your next experimental concert e.g. "I bought the Merzbow thing".
        Never fails to get an incredulous response.

        Also, the packaging. Nice trashy fetish stuff that you would find in
        a tourist shop in Amsterdam. Skimpy cheapo cd case and crappy labels.

        Best And Warmest

        Joseph Sergej Velez aka His Cigar Smoke Was Unmissably Subtle

        http://messenger.msn.com