Re: [thewire] Re: Jeph Jerman and Ut

  • Lang Thompson
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
      >On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
      >honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
      >20 has unsubscribed from the list.

      Not all of us. I saw Ut during a tour of the Deep South shortly before
      their break up. A friend with me insisted I drive him home after hearing
      just two minutes (literally!) of the band's set. By that time I wouldn't
      have considered them very no-wavish though still pretty abrasive.

      LT

      -----------------------------
      Violinist Bauer-Lechner on Mahler:
      "The first thing he composed on paper at the
      age of six was a polka, to which he added a
      funeral march as an introduction."

      The Funhouse Journal
      http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/blog/journal.htm
    • Steve Bates
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 5, 2002
        jacqui ham now (or recently - last couple years) put out a couple cds
        under the name Dial. on a label called cede. i have the first one and it's
        pretty ut-ish. definitely a simialir aesthetic with drum machine. i have
        ut's "early live life" and "griller" and love them both.

        steve

        steve bates
        [www.dimcoast.org]

        send + receive: a festival of sound
        [www.sendandreceive.org]

        ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
        dim coast radio on ckuw:
        www.ckuw.org/listen.html
        fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]

        On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Daniel wrote:

        > Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
        > different band?
        > Daniel
        >
        > "R. Lim" wrote:
        >
        > > One that fell by the wayside is his pre-Blowhole band Big Joey, which was
        > > his version of an 80s avant/downtown band. They had one album (Metalhead)
        > > and I would guess many tapes.
        > >
        > > On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
        > > honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
        > > 20 has unsubscribed from the list. They were a post no-wave guitar trio
        > > whose career spanned the 80s that had an aesthetic similarity to early
        > > Sonic Youth. Although most of their tracks were fairly short, in some
        > > circumstances (most notably for me on their early live album) they
        > > stretched out into a kind of epic drone rock not too dissimilar to TFE-era
        > > Dead C. The drumming especially had a Yeatsian feel to it and if still
        > > seems unlikely to you, compare the cover of Harsh 70's to In Gut's House.
        > > Their records seem to still be pretty cheap on the secondhand market, so
        > > it might be worth a look-see.
        > >
        > > -rob
        > >
        > > --
        > > Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI

      • stevolende
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 6, 2002
          --- In thewire@y..., Steve Bates <sbates@u...> wrote:
          > jacqui ham now (or recently - last couple years) put out a couple
          cds
          > under the name Dial. on a label called cede. i have the first one
          and it's
          > pretty ut-ish. definitely a simialir aesthetic with drum machine. i
          have
          > ut's "early live life" and "griller" and love them both.
          >

          > steve

          i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
          Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
          noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.
          My fav member was Nina Canal who was also in Dark Day with Tim wright
          and maried to Rhys Chatham.
          Nina was also in a band called the Gynaecologists who i know next to
          nothing about.
          I think shes in the clothing business in paris now, haven't seen her
          in the last decade which is a pity, but thats what Sally said in
          Dublin.
          Stevo
        • diskono2002
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 7, 2002
            Hey

            The Reynols CD on Betley Welcomes Careful Drivers is pretty rockin as
            well. Might be a split with some label, i can't remember.

            Hit - Ptodd@....

            Best And Warmest

            Joseph Sergej Velez aka His Cigar Smoke Was Unmissably Subtle

            --- In thewire@y..., Anatole40@a... wrote:

            > In a message dated 8/2/02 2:41:48 PM, thewire@y... writes:
            >
            > << Does anyone have any recommendations of where to start when
            > buying the recordings of Reynols? Any favorites/essentials? >>
          • R. Lim
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 7, 2002
              On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, stevolende wrote:

              > i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
              > Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
              > noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.

              Thanks for the info. See how much you can communicate when your messages
              aren't 10-screen long grammatical trainwrecks? (and I do mean that in the
              fondest way possible)

              -rob

              --
              Janitor From Mars playlists and archives @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
            • stevolende
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 8, 2002
                very funny that
                i keep getting messages of appreciation off list over those things
                a couple of people here have already seriously shown themselves up by
                acting like that. do you need to join in? if so why?
                i'm not in the mood
              • stevolende
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 8, 2002
                  --- In thewire@y..., "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@a...> wrote:
                  > On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, stevolende wrote:
                  >
                  > > i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                  > > Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                  > > noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the info.

                  I may have overeacted earlier. but couldn't you have left the message
                  there because I'm, getting fed up to the back teeth with people
                  coming out with patronising guff like this

                  See how much you can communicate when your messages
                  > aren't 10-screen long grammatical trainwrecks? (and I do mean that
                  in the
                  > fondest way possible)
                  >
                  > -rob

                  The infrormation was there, you didn't see it. I'm getting a lot of
                  positive feedback on those playlists . Is this an Englishj lesson or
                  something.?
                  Those things get the message across.
                  I started separating the entries because they seemed to be too much
                  of a block.
                  I got an email a couple of days back from someone who was at one
                  point limiting themselves to 25 records at a time. This so that he
                  could actually get a better feel for each of them.
                  I think I'm trying to reach the same thing with those weekly cd
                  bags, getting a better appreciation of each thing while spending
                  time at the computer. could be that the amount I'm bringing in is a
                  little high for the desired effect.
                  I normally end the week with less in the bag than at the start.

                  I also send those to several lists hoping to get different aspects
                  brought out by peoople with different perspectives.
                  I thought the blockage in communication was that every time I sent
                  one, things got stupidly sidelined.

                  Stevo
                  Np 13fe Psychedelic World disc 1 Reverberation
                • Simon Fay
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 9, 2002
                    Just in case it hasn't already been covered -

                    Bernhard Guenter's 'Buddha With The Sun Face/'Buddha
                    With The Moon Face' incorporates material from a JJ
                    performance (highly appropriate)

                    Available from Mego's on-line shop at mdos.at

                    Mdos is still offering Merzbow's 50 CD box.

                    Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                    Not me. Even if I had the will, it seems to belong to
                    a stratum of high-disposable-income whimsy that
                    belongs to high-fliers and/or employees of
                    organisations that make such cultural
                    management/zoology part of their brief. Curious as to
                    what the demographic spread is of listers (again)

                    SF (semi-employed post-grad)

                    http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                  • stevolende
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                      --- In thewire@y..., Simon Fay <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
                      > Mdos is still offering Merzbow's 50 CD box.
                      >
                      > Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                      I think that was me.

                      > Not me. Even if I had the will, it seems to belong to
                      > a stratum of high-disposable-income whimsy that
                      > belongs to high-fliers and/or employees of
                      > organisations that make such cultural
                      > management/zoology part of their brief.

                      which is one reason it seems slightly weird for an artist like
                      Merzbow.
                      Sinatra/Davis/Parker Presley i could understand a lot more. They're
                      way more the kind of thing that somebody obsesses on and needs every
                      last moment, or so I would think.
                      What was that somebody said here a coupla days back? the last 35
                      discs are pretty hardgoing ? even if that was the last 15 it seems
                      absurdly high and therefore artificial.
                      there has to be a point at which saturation occurs surely? you
                      couldn't tell one thing from another because it all gets blended by
                      the mind?
                      I did a sound engineering course a couple of years back where the
                      teacher was talking about multiple voicing(not the correct term)
                      where orchestras are able to have a lot of different things happening
                      at the same time and the human ear be able to hear it. I think he was
                      also talking about synthesisers/computers being able to do the same
                      thing. I thought surely theres a point where the human ear will just
                      blend everything into white noise or something. I got the feeling
                      that this looked fascinating on paper but wouldn't come off to great
                      in practise.

                      Curious as to
                      > what the demographic spread is of listers (again)

                      Sir, your slur confounds me. I thought we were all deeply authentic
                      music fans :) (Sometimes I wonder though)

                      >Stevo
                      Np NWW thunder perfect mind Cold
                    • reid tamashiro
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                        Can someone explain the reasoning behind the criticism
                        of the Merzbox?

                        HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                        http://www.hotjobs.com
                      • stevolende
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                          --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...> wrote:
                          > Can someone explain the reasoning behind the criticism
                          > of the Merzbox?

                          that it seems way too large to ever get familiar with, among other
                          things.
                          I'm left wondering exactly how much of any artist you really need.
                          plus the price seems to be out of most people's league, which brings
                          in further considerations.
                          Is this box set actually fully about the music?
                          for one
                          I think the thing thats been said is that it is left in a region
                          where it becomes iconic in itself to have something like that.
                          Unless you're going to be a fulltime committed Merzbow fan to the
                          exclusion of anything else, how are you going to familiarise yourself
                          with it.
                          Are you going to be able to get through the whole thing even if you
                          do cut out all other music? etc etc
                          just seems a folly.
                          like one of those weird buildings in the English countryside.
                          does it maintain its original purpose?
                          Stevo
                        • reid tamashiro
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                            --- stevolende <stevolende@...> wrote:
                            > --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Can someone explain the reasoning behind the
                            > criticism
                            > > of the Merzbox?
                            > >
                            > that it seems way too large to ever get familiar
                            > with, among other
                            > things.
                            > I'm left wondering exactly how much of any artist
                            > you really need.
                            > plus the price seems to be out of most people's
                            > league, which brings
                            > in further considerations.
                            > Is this box set actually fully about the music?
                            > for one
                            > I think the thing thats been said is that it is left
                            > in a region
                            > where it becomes iconic in itself to have something
                            > like that.
                            > Unless you're going to be a fulltime committed
                            > Merzbow fan to the
                            > exclusion of anything else, how are you going to
                            > familiarise yourself
                            > with it.
                            > Are you going to be able to get through the whole
                            > thing even if you
                            > do cut out all other music? etc etc
                            > just seems a folly.
                            > like one of those weird buildings in the English
                            > countryside.
                            > does it maintain its original purpose?

                            But is this significantly different from an artist who
                            puts out tons of recordings? I don't think there is
                            really. The problem lies in the completist mentality I
                            think, more than the artist. I think other musicians
                            would love to do what Akita did, if they could and
                            they thought it would work.

                            HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                            http://www.hotjobs.com
                          • chux
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002

                              > > Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                              How many "such things" are there? I don't mean how many Merzboxes
                              were made (OK, was it 1000?)... I mean how many artists/labels
                              release 50 CD box sets?

                              The people who bought it: Clearly people who have too much money; but
                              that's their business (for the time being).

                              I don't think that it was actually necessary to do a production run.
                              In many ways the Merzbox would have been a better po-mo box-set if it
                              had existed only as an idea/desire -- goad. In a practical sense
                              that's as close as most all of us will get to its schwittering
                              Ur-sounds ...

                              chx
                              --

                              "meaning is the illusion of experience"