Re: Jeph Jerman and Ut

  • R. Lim
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
      One that fell by the wayside is his pre-Blowhole band Big Joey, which was
      his version of an 80s avant/downtown band. They had one album (Metalhead)
      and I would guess many tapes.

      On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
      honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
      20 has unsubscribed from the list. They were a post no-wave guitar trio
      whose career spanned the 80s that had an aesthetic similarity to early
      Sonic Youth. Although most of their tracks were fairly short, in some
      circumstances (most notably for me on their early live album) they
      stretched out into a kind of epic drone rock not too dissimilar to TFE-era
      Dead C. The drumming especially had a Yeatsian feel to it and if still
      seems unlikely to you, compare the cover of Harsh 70's to In Gut's House.
      Their records seem to still be pretty cheap on the secondhand market, so
      it might be worth a look-see.

      -rob

      --
      Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
        Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
        different band?
        Daniel

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
          yOn Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Daniel wrote:

          > Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
          > different band?

          You're thinking of Un- totally different band.

          -rob

          --
          Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
        • Lang Thompson
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
            >On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
            >honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
            >20 has unsubscribed from the list.

            Not all of us. I saw Ut during a tour of the Deep South shortly before
            their break up. A friend with me insisted I drive him home after hearing
            just two minutes (literally!) of the band's set. By that time I wouldn't
            have considered them very no-wavish though still pretty abrasive.

            LT

            -----------------------------
            Violinist Bauer-Lechner on Mahler:
            "The first thing he composed on paper at the
            age of six was a polka, to which he added a
            funeral march as an introduction."

            The Funhouse Journal
            http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/blog/journal.htm
          • Steve Bates
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 5, 2002
              jacqui ham now (or recently - last couple years) put out a couple cds
              under the name Dial. on a label called cede. i have the first one and it's
              pretty ut-ish. definitely a simialir aesthetic with drum machine. i have
              ut's "early live life" and "griller" and love them both.

              steve

              steve bates
              [www.dimcoast.org]

              send + receive: a festival of sound
              [www.sendandreceive.org]

              ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
              dim coast radio on ckuw:
              www.ckuw.org/listen.html
              fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]

              On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Daniel wrote:

              > Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
              > different band?
              > Daniel
              >
              > "R. Lim" wrote:
              >
              > > One that fell by the wayside is his pre-Blowhole band Big Joey, which was
              > > his version of an 80s avant/downtown band. They had one album (Metalhead)
              > > and I would guess many tapes.
              > >
              > > On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
              > > honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
              > > 20 has unsubscribed from the list. They were a post no-wave guitar trio
              > > whose career spanned the 80s that had an aesthetic similarity to early
              > > Sonic Youth. Although most of their tracks were fairly short, in some
              > > circumstances (most notably for me on their early live album) they
              > > stretched out into a kind of epic drone rock not too dissimilar to TFE-era
              > > Dead C. The drumming especially had a Yeatsian feel to it and if still
              > > seems unlikely to you, compare the cover of Harsh 70's to In Gut's House.
              > > Their records seem to still be pretty cheap on the secondhand market, so
              > > it might be worth a look-see.
              > >
              > > -rob
              > >
              > > --
              > > Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI

            • stevolende
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 6, 2002
                --- In thewire@y..., Steve Bates <sbates@u...> wrote:
                > jacqui ham now (or recently - last couple years) put out a couple
                cds
                > under the name Dial. on a label called cede. i have the first one
                and it's
                > pretty ut-ish. definitely a simialir aesthetic with drum machine. i
                have
                > ut's "early live life" and "griller" and love them both.
                >

                > steve

                i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.
                My fav member was Nina Canal who was also in Dark Day with Tim wright
                and maried to Rhys Chatham.
                Nina was also in a band called the Gynaecologists who i know next to
                nothing about.
                I think shes in the clothing business in paris now, haven't seen her
                in the last decade which is a pity, but thats what Sally said in
                Dublin.
                Stevo
              • diskono2002
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 7, 2002
                  Hey

                  The Reynols CD on Betley Welcomes Careful Drivers is pretty rockin as
                  well. Might be a split with some label, i can't remember.

                  Hit - Ptodd@....

                  Best And Warmest

                  Joseph Sergej Velez aka His Cigar Smoke Was Unmissably Subtle

                  --- In thewire@y..., Anatole40@a... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 8/2/02 2:41:48 PM, thewire@y... writes:
                  >
                  > << Does anyone have any recommendations of where to start when
                  > buying the recordings of Reynols? Any favorites/essentials? >>
                • R. Lim
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 7, 2002
                    On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, stevolende wrote:

                    > i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                    > Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                    > noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.

                    Thanks for the info. See how much you can communicate when your messages
                    aren't 10-screen long grammatical trainwrecks? (and I do mean that in the
                    fondest way possible)

                    -rob

                    --
                    Janitor From Mars playlists and archives @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
                  • stevolende
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 8, 2002
                      very funny that
                      i keep getting messages of appreciation off list over those things
                      a couple of people here have already seriously shown themselves up by
                      acting like that. do you need to join in? if so why?
                      i'm not in the mood
                    • stevolende
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 8, 2002
                        --- In thewire@y..., "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@a...> wrote:
                        > On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, stevolende wrote:
                        >
                        > > i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                        > > Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                        > > noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.
                        >
                        > Thanks for the info.

                        I may have overeacted earlier. but couldn't you have left the message
                        there because I'm, getting fed up to the back teeth with people
                        coming out with patronising guff like this

                        See how much you can communicate when your messages
                        > aren't 10-screen long grammatical trainwrecks? (and I do mean that
                        in the
                        > fondest way possible)
                        >
                        > -rob

                        The infrormation was there, you didn't see it. I'm getting a lot of
                        positive feedback on those playlists . Is this an Englishj lesson or
                        something.?
                        Those things get the message across.
                        I started separating the entries because they seemed to be too much
                        of a block.
                        I got an email a couple of days back from someone who was at one
                        point limiting themselves to 25 records at a time. This so that he
                        could actually get a better feel for each of them.
                        I think I'm trying to reach the same thing with those weekly cd
                        bags, getting a better appreciation of each thing while spending
                        time at the computer. could be that the amount I'm bringing in is a
                        little high for the desired effect.
                        I normally end the week with less in the bag than at the start.

                        I also send those to several lists hoping to get different aspects
                        brought out by peoople with different perspectives.
                        I thought the blockage in communication was that every time I sent
                        one, things got stupidly sidelined.

                        Stevo
                        Np 13fe Psychedelic World disc 1 Reverberation
                      • Simon Fay
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 9, 2002
                          Just in case it hasn't already been covered -

                          Bernhard Guenter's 'Buddha With The Sun Face/'Buddha
                          With The Moon Face' incorporates material from a JJ
                          performance (highly appropriate)

                          Available from Mego's on-line shop at mdos.at

                          Mdos is still offering Merzbow's 50 CD box.

                          Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                          Not me. Even if I had the will, it seems to belong to
                          a stratum of high-disposable-income whimsy that
                          belongs to high-fliers and/or employees of
                          organisations that make such cultural
                          management/zoology part of their brief. Curious as to
                          what the demographic spread is of listers (again)

                          SF (semi-employed post-grad)

                          http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                        • stevolende
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                            --- In thewire@y..., Simon Fay <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
                            > Mdos is still offering Merzbow's 50 CD box.
                            >
                            > Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                            I think that was me.

                            > Not me. Even if I had the will, it seems to belong to
                            > a stratum of high-disposable-income whimsy that
                            > belongs to high-fliers and/or employees of
                            > organisations that make such cultural
                            > management/zoology part of their brief.

                            which is one reason it seems slightly weird for an artist like
                            Merzbow.
                            Sinatra/Davis/Parker Presley i could understand a lot more. They're
                            way more the kind of thing that somebody obsesses on and needs every
                            last moment, or so I would think.
                            What was that somebody said here a coupla days back? the last 35
                            discs are pretty hardgoing ? even if that was the last 15 it seems
                            absurdly high and therefore artificial.
                            there has to be a point at which saturation occurs surely? you
                            couldn't tell one thing from another because it all gets blended by
                            the mind?
                            I did a sound engineering course a couple of years back where the
                            teacher was talking about multiple voicing(not the correct term)
                            where orchestras are able to have a lot of different things happening
                            at the same time and the human ear be able to hear it. I think he was
                            also talking about synthesisers/computers being able to do the same
                            thing. I thought surely theres a point where the human ear will just
                            blend everything into white noise or something. I got the feeling
                            that this looked fascinating on paper but wouldn't come off to great
                            in practise.

                            Curious as to
                            > what the demographic spread is of listers (again)

                            Sir, your slur confounds me. I thought we were all deeply authentic
                            music fans :) (Sometimes I wonder though)

                            >Stevo
                            Np NWW thunder perfect mind Cold
                          • reid tamashiro
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                              Can someone explain the reasoning behind the criticism
                              of the Merzbox?

                              HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                              http://www.hotjobs.com
                            • stevolende
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...> wrote:
                                > Can someone explain the reasoning behind the criticism
                                > of the Merzbox?

                                that it seems way too large to ever get familiar with, among other
                                things.
                                I'm left wondering exactly how much of any artist you really need.
                                plus the price seems to be out of most people's league, which brings
                                in further considerations.
                                Is this box set actually fully about the music?
                                for one
                                I think the thing thats been said is that it is left in a region
                                where it becomes iconic in itself to have something like that.
                                Unless you're going to be a fulltime committed Merzbow fan to the
                                exclusion of anything else, how are you going to familiarise yourself
                                with it.
                                Are you going to be able to get through the whole thing even if you
                                do cut out all other music? etc etc
                                just seems a folly.
                                like one of those weird buildings in the English countryside.
                                does it maintain its original purpose?
                                Stevo
                              • reid tamashiro
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                  --- stevolende <stevolende@...> wrote:
                                  > --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > Can someone explain the reasoning behind the
                                  > criticism
                                  > > of the Merzbox?
                                  > >
                                  > that it seems way too large to ever get familiar
                                  > with, among other
                                  > things.
                                  > I'm left wondering exactly how much of any artist
                                  > you really need.
                                  > plus the price seems to be out of most people's
                                  > league, which brings
                                  > in further considerations.
                                  > Is this box set actually fully about the music?
                                  > for one
                                  > I think the thing thats been said is that it is left
                                  > in a region
                                  > where it becomes iconic in itself to have something
                                  > like that.
                                  > Unless you're going to be a fulltime committed
                                  > Merzbow fan to the
                                  > exclusion of anything else, how are you going to
                                  > familiarise yourself
                                  > with it.
                                  > Are you going to be able to get through the whole
                                  > thing even if you
                                  > do cut out all other music? etc etc
                                  > just seems a folly.
                                  > like one of those weird buildings in the English
                                  > countryside.
                                  > does it maintain its original purpose?

                                  But is this significantly different from an artist who
                                  puts out tons of recordings? I don't think there is
                                  really. The problem lies in the completist mentality I
                                  think, more than the artist. I think other musicians
                                  would love to do what Akita did, if they could and
                                  they thought it would work.

                                  HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                                  http://www.hotjobs.com
                                • chux
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002

                                    > > Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                                    How many "such things" are there? I don't mean how many Merzboxes
                                    were made (OK, was it 1000?)... I mean how many artists/labels
                                    release 50 CD box sets?

                                    The people who bought it: Clearly people who have too much money; but
                                    that's their business (for the time being).

                                    I don't think that it was actually necessary to do a production run.
                                    In many ways the Merzbox would have been a better po-mo box-set if it
                                    had existed only as an idea/desire -- goad. In a practical sense
                                    that's as close as most all of us will get to its schwittering
                                    Ur-sounds ...

                                    chx
                                    --

                                    "meaning is the illusion of experience"