Re: Jeph Jerman

  • gradyfinklemyer
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
      Want to be rid of Davis Ford?...just wipe yer ass.
      Just can't leave it can you?

> [...]
      > topic, I could care less. Jesus...if only you had
      > half the wit of Ralph Wiggum, then I think we'd all be
      > so much happier.
      >
      > http://www.engr.orst.edu/~rose/ralph/
      >
      > --davis
      >
      > --- Jim Flannery <NEWGRANGE@S...> wrote:
      > > gradyfinklemyer wrote to wire:
      > >
      > > g> Hands To-Remembering is a long concrete piece
      > > that is interesting.
      > > g> It is on the Guru Means Slayer of Darkness album,
      > > along with tracks
      > > g> by Illusion of Safety and Beequeen. He is also
      > > featured on the rather
      > > g> excellent, dark ethno-ambient album by I.A.M.
      > > Umbrella-The Sound of
      > > g> Shadows Breathing on Themselves. Another
      > > fascinating album he is
      > > g> featured on is His Masters Voice-Singing the
      > > Boundaries, which anyone
      > > g> into O Yuki Conjugate, or Paul Schutze would
      > > probably like. He is
      > > g> credited with "contact microphones on wire
      > > fencing, overtone singing,
      > > g> bass drum, balophones, percussion and flute".
      > > g> But then, you won't get this info, will you,
      > > since you are blocking
      > > g> my emails? Boo hoo...it might be of interest to
      > > others on the list.
      > >
      > > There's an interview with Jerman on the Manifold
      > > Records site (who
      > > distribute a good chunk of his work):
      > >
      > > http://www.manifoldrecords.com/jermaninterview.html
      > >
      > > which also has links to his website; they also sell
      > > an
      > > overlapping-with-Anomalous set of his releases,
      > > including the
      > > _Guru..._ split ralph mentions above. He also works
      > > as/with Animist
      > > Orchestra, who have an album forthcoming on
      > > Anomalous, and Animist
      > > Quartets, who have one on Alluvial, and there's a
      > > collaboration w/
      > > Bernhard Guenter on Digital Narcis. Anomalous also
      > > have a mess of c60
      > > k7's which were coming out like newsletters for a
      > > while.
      > >
      > > Before the "natural materials" phase, he was in
      > > Blowhole, a jazz/punk
      > > ensemble who made what he's apparently decided was
      > > enough of a racket
      > > for a lifetime :-).
      > >
      > > If you get into his stuff, you'd probably also want
      > > to check out the
      > > work of Loren Chasse, both solo and in a duo w/ Jim
      > > Haynes under the
      > > name Coelocanth.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Jim Flannery
      > > newgrange@s...
      > >
      > > Because they've created such a deep structure
      > > now, you can't
      > > get in. And we don't want to get in, we're on
      > > the outside.
      > > But we're not on the outside looking in, we're
      > > on the outside
      > > looking out.
      > > -- John Zorn
      > >
      > > np: Charles Curtis, _Ultra White Violet Light_
      > > nr: Jeff Vandermeer, _City of Saints and Madmen_

    • R. Lim
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
        One that fell by the wayside is his pre-Blowhole band Big Joey, which was
        his version of an 80s avant/downtown band. They had one album (Metalhead)
        and I would guess many tapes.

        On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
        honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
        20 has unsubscribed from the list. They were a post no-wave guitar trio
        whose career spanned the 80s that had an aesthetic similarity to early
        Sonic Youth. Although most of their tracks were fairly short, in some
        circumstances (most notably for me on their early live album) they
        stretched out into a kind of epic drone rock not too dissimilar to TFE-era
        Dead C. The drumming especially had a Yeatsian feel to it and if still
        seems unlikely to you, compare the cover of Harsh 70's to In Gut's House.
        Their records seem to still be pretty cheap on the secondhand market, so
        it might be worth a look-see.

        -rob

        --
        Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
      • Daniel
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
          Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
          different band?
          Daniel

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
            yOn Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Daniel wrote:

            > Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
            > different band?

            You're thinking of Un- totally different band.

            -rob

            --
            Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
          • Lang Thompson
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
              >On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
              >honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
              >20 has unsubscribed from the list.

              Not all of us. I saw Ut during a tour of the Deep South shortly before
              their break up. A friend with me insisted I drive him home after hearing
              just two minutes (literally!) of the band's set. By that time I wouldn't
              have considered them very no-wavish though still pretty abrasive.

              LT

              -----------------------------
              Violinist Bauer-Lechner on Mahler:
              "The first thing he composed on paper at the
              age of six was a polka, to which he added a
              funeral march as an introduction."

              The Funhouse Journal
              http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/blog/journal.htm
            • Steve Bates
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 5, 2002
                jacqui ham now (or recently - last couple years) put out a couple cds
                under the name Dial. on a label called cede. i have the first one and it's
                pretty ut-ish. definitely a simialir aesthetic with drum machine. i have
                ut's "early live life" and "griller" and love them both.

                steve

                steve bates
                [www.dimcoast.org]

                send + receive: a festival of sound
                [www.sendandreceive.org]

                ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
                dim coast radio on ckuw:
                www.ckuw.org/listen.html
                fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]

                On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Daniel wrote:

                > Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
                > different band?
                > Daniel
                >
                > "R. Lim" wrote:
                >
                > > One that fell by the wayside is his pre-Blowhole band Big Joey, which was
                > > his version of an 80s avant/downtown band. They had one album (Metalhead)
                > > and I would guess many tapes.
                > >
                > > On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
                > > honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
                > > 20 has unsubscribed from the list. They were a post no-wave guitar trio
                > > whose career spanned the 80s that had an aesthetic similarity to early
                > > Sonic Youth. Although most of their tracks were fairly short, in some
                > > circumstances (most notably for me on their early live album) they
                > > stretched out into a kind of epic drone rock not too dissimilar to TFE-era
                > > Dead C. The drumming especially had a Yeatsian feel to it and if still
                > > seems unlikely to you, compare the cover of Harsh 70's to In Gut's House.
                > > Their records seem to still be pretty cheap on the secondhand market, so
                > > it might be worth a look-see.
                > >
                > > -rob
                > >
                > > --
                > > Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI

              • stevolende
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 6, 2002
                  --- In thewire@y..., Steve Bates <sbates@u...> wrote:
                  > jacqui ham now (or recently - last couple years) put out a couple
                  cds
                  > under the name Dial. on a label called cede. i have the first one
                  and it's
                  > pretty ut-ish. definitely a simialir aesthetic with drum machine. i
                  have
                  > ut's "early live life" and "griller" and love them both.
                  >

                  > steve

                  i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                  Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                  noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.
                  My fav member was Nina Canal who was also in Dark Day with Tim wright
                  and maried to Rhys Chatham.
                  Nina was also in a band called the Gynaecologists who i know next to
                  nothing about.
                  I think shes in the clothing business in paris now, haven't seen her
                  in the last decade which is a pity, but thats what Sally said in
                  Dublin.
                  Stevo
                • diskono2002
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 7, 2002
                    Hey

                    The Reynols CD on Betley Welcomes Careful Drivers is pretty rockin as
                    well. Might be a split with some label, i can't remember.

                    Hit - Ptodd@....

                    Best And Warmest

                    Joseph Sergej Velez aka His Cigar Smoke Was Unmissably Subtle

                    --- In thewire@y..., Anatole40@a... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 8/2/02 2:41:48 PM, thewire@y... writes:
                    >
                    > << Does anyone have any recommendations of where to start when
                    > buying the recordings of Reynols? Any favorites/essentials? >>
                  • R. Lim
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 7, 2002
                      On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, stevolende wrote:

                      > i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                      > Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                      > noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.

                      Thanks for the info. See how much you can communicate when your messages
                      aren't 10-screen long grammatical trainwrecks? (and I do mean that in the
                      fondest way possible)

                      -rob

                      --
                      Janitor From Mars playlists and archives @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
                    • stevolende
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 8, 2002
                        very funny that
                        i keep getting messages of appreciation off list over those things
                        a couple of people here have already seriously shown themselves up by
                        acting like that. do you need to join in? if so why?
                        i'm not in the mood
                      • stevolende
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 8, 2002
                          --- In thewire@y..., "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@a...> wrote:
                          > On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, stevolende wrote:
                          >
                          > > i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                          > > Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                          > > noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.
                          >
                          > Thanks for the info.

                          I may have overeacted earlier. but couldn't you have left the message
                          there because I'm, getting fed up to the back teeth with people
                          coming out with patronising guff like this

                          See how much you can communicate when your messages
                          > aren't 10-screen long grammatical trainwrecks? (and I do mean that
                          in the
                          > fondest way possible)
                          >
                          > -rob

                          The infrormation was there, you didn't see it. I'm getting a lot of
                          positive feedback on those playlists . Is this an Englishj lesson or
                          something.?
                          Those things get the message across.
                          I started separating the entries because they seemed to be too much
                          of a block.
                          I got an email a couple of days back from someone who was at one
                          point limiting themselves to 25 records at a time. This so that he
                          could actually get a better feel for each of them.
                          I think I'm trying to reach the same thing with those weekly cd
                          bags, getting a better appreciation of each thing while spending
                          time at the computer. could be that the amount I'm bringing in is a
                          little high for the desired effect.
                          I normally end the week with less in the bag than at the start.

                          I also send those to several lists hoping to get different aspects
                          brought out by peoople with different perspectives.
                          I thought the blockage in communication was that every time I sent
                          one, things got stupidly sidelined.

                          Stevo
                          Np 13fe Psychedelic World disc 1 Reverberation
                        • Simon Fay
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 9, 2002
                            Just in case it hasn't already been covered -

                            Bernhard Guenter's 'Buddha With The Sun Face/'Buddha
                            With The Moon Face' incorporates material from a JJ
                            performance (highly appropriate)

                            Available from Mego's on-line shop at mdos.at

                            Mdos is still offering Merzbow's 50 CD box.

                            Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                            Not me. Even if I had the will, it seems to belong to
                            a stratum of high-disposable-income whimsy that
                            belongs to high-fliers and/or employees of
                            organisations that make such cultural
                            management/zoology part of their brief. Curious as to
                            what the demographic spread is of listers (again)

                            SF (semi-employed post-grad)

                            http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                          • stevolende
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                              --- In thewire@y..., Simon Fay <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
                              > Mdos is still offering Merzbow's 50 CD box.
                              >
                              > Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                              I think that was me.

                              > Not me. Even if I had the will, it seems to belong to
                              > a stratum of high-disposable-income whimsy that
                              > belongs to high-fliers and/or employees of
                              > organisations that make such cultural
                              > management/zoology part of their brief.

                              which is one reason it seems slightly weird for an artist like
                              Merzbow.
                              Sinatra/Davis/Parker Presley i could understand a lot more. They're
                              way more the kind of thing that somebody obsesses on and needs every
                              last moment, or so I would think.
                              What was that somebody said here a coupla days back? the last 35
                              discs are pretty hardgoing ? even if that was the last 15 it seems
                              absurdly high and therefore artificial.
                              there has to be a point at which saturation occurs surely? you
                              couldn't tell one thing from another because it all gets blended by
                              the mind?
                              I did a sound engineering course a couple of years back where the
                              teacher was talking about multiple voicing(not the correct term)
                              where orchestras are able to have a lot of different things happening
                              at the same time and the human ear be able to hear it. I think he was
                              also talking about synthesisers/computers being able to do the same
                              thing. I thought surely theres a point where the human ear will just
                              blend everything into white noise or something. I got the feeling
                              that this looked fascinating on paper but wouldn't come off to great
                              in practise.

                              Curious as to
                              > what the demographic spread is of listers (again)

                              Sir, your slur confounds me. I thought we were all deeply authentic
                              music fans :) (Sometimes I wonder though)

                              >Stevo
                              Np NWW thunder perfect mind Cold
                            • reid tamashiro
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                Can someone explain the reasoning behind the criticism
                                of the Merzbox?

                                HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                                http://www.hotjobs.com
                              • stevolende
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                  --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...> wrote:
                                  > Can someone explain the reasoning behind the criticism
                                  > of the Merzbox?

                                  that it seems way too large to ever get familiar with, among other
                                  things.
                                  I'm left wondering exactly how much of any artist you really need.
                                  plus the price seems to be out of most people's league, which brings
                                  in further considerations.
                                  Is this box set actually fully about the music?
                                  for one
                                  I think the thing thats been said is that it is left in a region
                                  where it becomes iconic in itself to have something like that.
                                  Unless you're going to be a fulltime committed Merzbow fan to the
                                  exclusion of anything else, how are you going to familiarise yourself
                                  with it.
                                  Are you going to be able to get through the whole thing even if you
                                  do cut out all other music? etc etc
                                  just seems a folly.
                                  like one of those weird buildings in the English countryside.
                                  does it maintain its original purpose?
                                  Stevo
                                • reid tamashiro
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                    --- stevolende <stevolende@...> wrote:
                                    > --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > Can someone explain the reasoning behind the
                                    > criticism
                                    > > of the Merzbox?
                                    > >
                                    > that it seems way too large to ever get familiar
                                    > with, among other
                                    > things.
                                    > I'm left wondering exactly how much of any artist
                                    > you really need.
                                    > plus the price seems to be out of most people's
                                    > league, which brings
                                    > in further considerations.
                                    > Is this box set actually fully about the music?
                                    > for one
                                    > I think the thing thats been said is that it is left
                                    > in a region
                                    > where it becomes iconic in itself to have something
                                    > like that.
                                    > Unless you're going to be a fulltime committed
                                    > Merzbow fan to the
                                    > exclusion of anything else, how are you going to
                                    > familiarise yourself
                                    > with it.
                                    > Are you going to be able to get through the whole
                                    > thing even if you
                                    > do cut out all other music? etc etc
                                    > just seems a folly.
                                    > like one of those weird buildings in the English
                                    > countryside.
                                    > does it maintain its original purpose?

                                    But is this significantly different from an artist who
                                    puts out tons of recordings? I don't think there is
                                    really. The problem lies in the completist mentality I
                                    think, more than the artist. I think other musicians
                                    would love to do what Akita did, if they could and
                                    they thought it would work.

                                    HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                                    http://www.hotjobs.com
                                  • chux
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002

                                      > > Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                                      How many "such things" are there? I don't mean how many Merzboxes
                                      were made (OK, was it 1000?)... I mean how many artists/labels
                                      release 50 CD box sets?

                                      The people who bought it: Clearly people who have too much money; but
                                      that's their business (for the time being).

                                      I don't think that it was actually necessary to do a production run.
                                      In many ways the Merzbox would have been a better po-mo box-set if it
                                      had existed only as an idea/desire -- goad. In a practical sense
                                      that's as close as most all of us will get to its schwittering
                                      Ur-sounds ...

                                      chx
                                      --

                                      "meaning is the illusion of experience"