Re: [thewire] Re: Jeph Jerman

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
      Hi Jim -- Thanks for the info. He certainly seems an
      opinionated fellow regarding his music. Sheesh. Does
      he use any electronics at all on this last Anomalous
      record..? Cuz, I swear I heard some electronically
      generated filler noises amidst pan-flute staccato
      blasts and tinkering with ceramics or some such thing.
      Music with pinecones, right? But not just any
      pinecone. I can get into that, I guess. I will look
      into this Loren Chasse / Coelocanth, etc. business you
      speak of.

      ...Carrot Top: yeah, I would not have gotten your post
      if Jim had not replied with it. Frankly, despite the
      fact that this is one of the few times you're on
      topic, I could care less. Jesus...if only you had
      half the wit of Ralph Wiggum, then I think we'd all be
      so much happier.

      http://www.engr.orst.edu/~rose/ralph/

      --davis

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • gradyfinklemyer
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
        Want to be rid of Davis Ford?...just wipe yer ass.
        Just can't leave it can you?

> [...]
        > > ensemble who made what he's apparently decided was
        > > enough of a racket
        > > for a lifetime :-).
        > >
        > > If you get into his stuff, you'd probably also want
        > > to check out the
        > > work of Loren Chasse, both solo and in a duo w/ Jim
        > > Haynes under the
        > > name Coelocanth.
        > >
        > > --
        > > Jim Flannery
        > > newgrange@s...
        > >
        > > Because they've created such a deep structure
        > > now, you can't
        > > get in. And we don't want to get in, we're on
        > > the outside.
        > > But we're not on the outside looking in, we're
        > > on the outside
        > > looking out.
        > > -- John Zorn
        > >
        > > np: Charles Curtis, _Ultra White Violet Light_
        > > nr: Jeff Vandermeer, _City of Saints and Madmen_

      • R. Lim
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
          One that fell by the wayside is his pre-Blowhole band Big Joey, which was
          his version of an 80s avant/downtown band. They had one album (Metalhead)
          and I would guess many tapes.

          On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
          honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
          20 has unsubscribed from the list. They were a post no-wave guitar trio
          whose career spanned the 80s that had an aesthetic similarity to early
          Sonic Youth. Although most of their tracks were fairly short, in some
          circumstances (most notably for me on their early live album) they
          stretched out into a kind of epic drone rock not too dissimilar to TFE-era
          Dead C. The drumming especially had a Yeatsian feel to it and if still
          seems unlikely to you, compare the cover of Harsh 70's to In Gut's House.
          Their records seem to still be pretty cheap on the secondhand market, so
          it might be worth a look-see.

          -rob

          --
          Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
        • Daniel
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
            Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
            different band?
            Daniel

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
              yOn Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Daniel wrote:

              > Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
              > different band?

              You're thinking of Un- totally different band.

              -rob

              --
              Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
            • Lang Thompson
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
                >On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
                >honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
                >20 has unsubscribed from the list.

                Not all of us. I saw Ut during a tour of the Deep South shortly before
                their break up. A friend with me insisted I drive him home after hearing
                just two minutes (literally!) of the band's set. By that time I wouldn't
                have considered them very no-wavish though still pretty abrasive.

                LT

                -----------------------------
                Violinist Bauer-Lechner on Mahler:
                "The first thing he composed on paper at the
                age of six was a polka, to which he added a
                funeral march as an introduction."

                The Funhouse Journal
                http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/blog/journal.htm
              • Steve Bates
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 5, 2002
                  jacqui ham now (or recently - last couple years) put out a couple cds
                  under the name Dial. on a label called cede. i have the first one and it's
                  pretty ut-ish. definitely a simialir aesthetic with drum machine. i have
                  ut's "early live life" and "griller" and love them both.

                  steve

                  steve bates
                  [www.dimcoast.org]

                  send + receive: a festival of sound
                  [www.sendandreceive.org]

                  ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
                  dim coast radio on ckuw:
                  www.ckuw.org/listen.html
                  fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]

                  On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Daniel wrote:

                  > Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
                  > different band?
                  > Daniel
                  >
                  > "R. Lim" wrote:
                  >
                  > > One that fell by the wayside is his pre-Blowhole band Big Joey, which was
                  > > his version of an 80s avant/downtown band. They had one album (Metalhead)
                  > > and I would guess many tapes.
                  > >
                  > > On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
                  > > honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
                  > > 20 has unsubscribed from the list. They were a post no-wave guitar trio
                  > > whose career spanned the 80s that had an aesthetic similarity to early
                  > > Sonic Youth. Although most of their tracks were fairly short, in some
                  > > circumstances (most notably for me on their early live album) they
                  > > stretched out into a kind of epic drone rock not too dissimilar to TFE-era
                  > > Dead C. The drumming especially had a Yeatsian feel to it and if still
                  > > seems unlikely to you, compare the cover of Harsh 70's to In Gut's House.
                  > > Their records seem to still be pretty cheap on the secondhand market, so
                  > > it might be worth a look-see.
                  > >
                  > > -rob
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI

                • stevolende
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 6, 2002
                    --- In thewire@y..., Steve Bates <sbates@u...> wrote:
                    > jacqui ham now (or recently - last couple years) put out a couple
                    cds
                    > under the name Dial. on a label called cede. i have the first one
                    and it's
                    > pretty ut-ish. definitely a simialir aesthetic with drum machine. i
                    have
                    > ut's "early live life" and "griller" and love them both.
                    >

                    > steve

                    i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                    Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                    noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.
                    My fav member was Nina Canal who was also in Dark Day with Tim wright
                    and maried to Rhys Chatham.
                    Nina was also in a band called the Gynaecologists who i know next to
                    nothing about.
                    I think shes in the clothing business in paris now, haven't seen her
                    in the last decade which is a pity, but thats what Sally said in
                    Dublin.
                    Stevo
                  • diskono2002
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 7, 2002
                      Hey

                      The Reynols CD on Betley Welcomes Careful Drivers is pretty rockin as
                      well. Might be a split with some label, i can't remember.

                      Hit - Ptodd@....

                      Best And Warmest

                      Joseph Sergej Velez aka His Cigar Smoke Was Unmissably Subtle

                      --- In thewire@y..., Anatole40@a... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 8/2/02 2:41:48 PM, thewire@y... writes:
                      >
                      > << Does anyone have any recommendations of where to start when
                      > buying the recordings of Reynols? Any favorites/essentials? >>
                    • R. Lim
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 7, 2002
                        On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, stevolende wrote:

                        > i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                        > Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                        > noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.

                        Thanks for the info. See how much you can communicate when your messages
                        aren't 10-screen long grammatical trainwrecks? (and I do mean that in the
                        fondest way possible)

                        -rob

                        --
                        Janitor From Mars playlists and archives @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
                      • stevolende
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 8, 2002
                          very funny that
                          i keep getting messages of appreciation off list over those things
                          a couple of people here have already seriously shown themselves up by
                          acting like that. do you need to join in? if so why?
                          i'm not in the mood
                        • stevolende
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 8, 2002
                            --- In thewire@y..., "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@a...> wrote:
                            > On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, stevolende wrote:
                            >
                            > > i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                            > > Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                            > > noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.
                            >
                            > Thanks for the info.

                            I may have overeacted earlier. but couldn't you have left the message
                            there because I'm, getting fed up to the back teeth with people
                            coming out with patronising guff like this

                            See how much you can communicate when your messages
                            > aren't 10-screen long grammatical trainwrecks? (and I do mean that
                            in the
                            > fondest way possible)
                            >
                            > -rob

                            The infrormation was there, you didn't see it. I'm getting a lot of
                            positive feedback on those playlists . Is this an Englishj lesson or
                            something.?
                            Those things get the message across.
                            I started separating the entries because they seemed to be too much
                            of a block.
                            I got an email a couple of days back from someone who was at one
                            point limiting themselves to 25 records at a time. This so that he
                            could actually get a better feel for each of them.
                            I think I'm trying to reach the same thing with those weekly cd
                            bags, getting a better appreciation of each thing while spending
                            time at the computer. could be that the amount I'm bringing in is a
                            little high for the desired effect.
                            I normally end the week with less in the bag than at the start.

                            I also send those to several lists hoping to get different aspects
                            brought out by peoople with different perspectives.
                            I thought the blockage in communication was that every time I sent
                            one, things got stupidly sidelined.

                            Stevo
                            Np 13fe Psychedelic World disc 1 Reverberation
                          • Simon Fay
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 9, 2002
                              Just in case it hasn't already been covered -

                              Bernhard Guenter's 'Buddha With The Sun Face/'Buddha
                              With The Moon Face' incorporates material from a JJ
                              performance (highly appropriate)

                              Available from Mego's on-line shop at mdos.at

                              Mdos is still offering Merzbow's 50 CD box.

                              Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                              Not me. Even if I had the will, it seems to belong to
                              a stratum of high-disposable-income whimsy that
                              belongs to high-fliers and/or employees of
                              organisations that make such cultural
                              management/zoology part of their brief. Curious as to
                              what the demographic spread is of listers (again)

                              SF (semi-employed post-grad)

                              http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                            • stevolende
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                --- In thewire@y..., Simon Fay <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
                                > Mdos is still offering Merzbow's 50 CD box.
                                >
                                > Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                                I think that was me.

                                > Not me. Even if I had the will, it seems to belong to
                                > a stratum of high-disposable-income whimsy that
                                > belongs to high-fliers and/or employees of
                                > organisations that make such cultural
                                > management/zoology part of their brief.

                                which is one reason it seems slightly weird for an artist like
                                Merzbow.
                                Sinatra/Davis/Parker Presley i could understand a lot more. They're
                                way more the kind of thing that somebody obsesses on and needs every
                                last moment, or so I would think.
                                What was that somebody said here a coupla days back? the last 35
                                discs are pretty hardgoing ? even if that was the last 15 it seems
                                absurdly high and therefore artificial.
                                there has to be a point at which saturation occurs surely? you
                                couldn't tell one thing from another because it all gets blended by
                                the mind?
                                I did a sound engineering course a couple of years back where the
                                teacher was talking about multiple voicing(not the correct term)
                                where orchestras are able to have a lot of different things happening
                                at the same time and the human ear be able to hear it. I think he was
                                also talking about synthesisers/computers being able to do the same
                                thing. I thought surely theres a point where the human ear will just
                                blend everything into white noise or something. I got the feeling
                                that this looked fascinating on paper but wouldn't come off to great
                                in practise.

                                Curious as to
                                > what the demographic spread is of listers (again)

                                Sir, your slur confounds me. I thought we were all deeply authentic
                                music fans :) (Sometimes I wonder though)

                                >Stevo
                                Np NWW thunder perfect mind Cold
                              • reid tamashiro
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                  Can someone explain the reasoning behind the criticism
                                  of the Merzbox?

                                  HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                                  http://www.hotjobs.com
                                • stevolende
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                    --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...> wrote:
                                    > Can someone explain the reasoning behind the criticism
                                    > of the Merzbox?

                                    that it seems way too large to ever get familiar with, among other
                                    things.
                                    I'm left wondering exactly how much of any artist you really need.
                                    plus the price seems to be out of most people's league, which brings
                                    in further considerations.
                                    Is this box set actually fully about the music?
                                    for one
                                    I think the thing thats been said is that it is left in a region
                                    where it becomes iconic in itself to have something like that.
                                    Unless you're going to be a fulltime committed Merzbow fan to the
                                    exclusion of anything else, how are you going to familiarise yourself
                                    with it.
                                    Are you going to be able to get through the whole thing even if you
                                    do cut out all other music? etc etc
                                    just seems a folly.
                                    like one of those weird buildings in the English countryside.
                                    does it maintain its original purpose?
                                    Stevo
                                  • reid tamashiro
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                      --- stevolende <stevolende@...> wrote:
                                      > --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > > Can someone explain the reasoning behind the
                                      > criticism
                                      > > of the Merzbox?
                                      > >
                                      > that it seems way too large to ever get familiar
                                      > with, among other
                                      > things.
                                      > I'm left wondering exactly how much of any artist
                                      > you really need.
                                      > plus the price seems to be out of most people's
                                      > league, which brings
                                      > in further considerations.
                                      > Is this box set actually fully about the music?
                                      > for one
                                      > I think the thing thats been said is that it is left
                                      > in a region
                                      > where it becomes iconic in itself to have something
                                      > like that.
                                      > Unless you're going to be a fulltime committed
                                      > Merzbow fan to the
                                      > exclusion of anything else, how are you going to
                                      > familiarise yourself
                                      > with it.
                                      > Are you going to be able to get through the whole
                                      > thing even if you
                                      > do cut out all other music? etc etc
                                      > just seems a folly.
                                      > like one of those weird buildings in the English
                                      > countryside.
                                      > does it maintain its original purpose?

                                      But is this significantly different from an artist who
                                      puts out tons of recordings? I don't think there is
                                      really. The problem lies in the completist mentality I
                                      think, more than the artist. I think other musicians
                                      would love to do what Akita did, if they could and
                                      they thought it would work.

                                      HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                                      http://www.hotjobs.com
                                    • chux
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002

                                        > > Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                                        How many "such things" are there? I don't mean how many Merzboxes
                                        were made (OK, was it 1000?)... I mean how many artists/labels
                                        release 50 CD box sets?

                                        The people who bought it: Clearly people who have too much money; but
                                        that's their business (for the time being).

                                        I don't think that it was actually necessary to do a production run.
                                        In many ways the Merzbox would have been a better po-mo box-set if it
                                        had existed only as an idea/desire -- goad. In a practical sense
                                        that's as close as most all of us will get to its schwittering
                                        Ur-sounds ...

                                        chx
                                        --

                                        "meaning is the illusion of experience"