Jeph Jerman

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 3, 2002
      Anyone can tell me about the works of Jeph Jerman? I
      heard a piece on the radio today and it was stellar.
      It was untitled on Anomalous. What are his other
      records - projects? I found this excerpt on the web
      about him:

      "Jeph Jerman is the American musician who, as Hands
      To, released the gorgeous record of 'cactus music'
      which we reviewed in issue seven. He's an elusive
      artist whose singular approach to his work means that
      is virtually impossible to record satisfactorily;
      indeed the label has taken some pride in stating that
      an acceptable and effective recording of his
      unobtrusive work has finally been realised (in this
      instance by Doug Haire, in 1999). Jerman is not an
      artist who exists simply to create product. Most of
      his rustic performances have been before an audience
      of nil, as he played found objects (stones and wood)
      out on his jaunts across the American countryside.
      He's a determinedly non-electric musician, and often
      refuses amplification for his minimal work.

      The ideal situation for hearing this music would be
      simply sitting next to Jerman as he gently agitates
      his stones, his shells, and other natural forms. The
      Second Attraction comes close to a realisation of that
      intimate situation, and it's a short but completely
      entrancing record. Though some may be sceptical of his
      semi-mystifying observations about the sounds of his
      stones 'answering' sounds within the room, these are
      based on a deep understanding of acoustic properties,
      and if you listen carefully you will find he's not
      lying....and they have translated well to this record.
      His claim to be an improviser is valid; 'I can reach a
      point where...I am just noticing that my hand is
      moving', he states, suggesting he enters intense
      trances of playing through communing with his chosen
      instruments. And chosen is the right word here; he
      doesn't simply pick up any old piece of flotsam from
      the ground. Only the correct stone, seashell, or
      branch will do the job; he clearly has a set of highly
      developed (and very personal) criteria for how to
      recognise natural forms for their acoustic properties.
      If we all tried similar exercises, the chances are we
      could learn to develop a closer relationship to
      nature. Heaven knows we need one. I recently saw an
      awful family in the park near where I live, who'd
      broken off dozens of daffodil heads just to hand them
      over to their filthy offspring, to use as playthings.
      Needless to say, these flowers were trampled into the
      dirt within seconds. People think nature is 'free'
      garbage, which they can pick up and throw away,
      because it belongs to nobody. We need a Jeph Jerman to
      help us appreciate the real beauty and value of some
      of nature's finest gifts, and remind us that the earth
      belongs to all of us; we should act as good custodians
      of the earth, not careless tenants."

      --davis

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • gradyfinklemyer
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 3, 2002
        Hands To-Remembering is a long concrete piece that is interesting.
        It is on the Guru Means Slayer of Darkness album, along with tracks
        by Illusion of Safety and Beequeen. He is also featured on the rather
        excellent, dark ethno-ambient album by I.A.M. Umbrella-The Sound of
        Shadows Breathing on Themselves. Another fascinating album he is
        featured on is His Masters Voice-Singing the Boundaries, which anyone
        into O Yuki Conjugate, or Paul Schutze would probably like. He is
        credited with "contact microphones on wire fencing, overtone singing,
        bass drum, balophones, percussion and flute".
        But then, you won't get this info, will you, since you are blocking
        my emails? Boo hoo...it might be of interest to others on the list.

      • Jim Flannery
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 3, 2002
          gradyfinklemyer wrote to wire:

          g> Hands To-Remembering is a long concrete piece that is interesting.
          g> It is on the Guru Means Slayer of Darkness album, along with tracks
          g> by Illusion of Safety and Beequeen. He is also featured on the rather
          g> excellent, dark ethno-ambient album by I.A.M. Umbrella-The Sound of
          g> Shadows Breathing on Themselves. Another fascinating album he is
          g> featured on is His Masters Voice-Singing the Boundaries, which anyone
          g> into O Yuki Conjugate, or Paul Schutze would probably like. He is
          g> credited with "contact microphones on wire fencing, overtone singing,
          g> bass drum, balophones, percussion and flute".
          g> But then, you won't get this info, will you, since you are blocking
          g> my emails? Boo hoo...it might be of interest to others on the list.

          There's an interview with Jerman on the Manifold Records site (who
          distribute a good chunk of his work):

          http://www.manifoldrecords.com/jermaninterview.html

          which also has links to his website; they also sell an
          overlapping-with-Anomalous set of his releases, including the
          _Guru..._ split ralph mentions above. He also works as/with Animist
          Orchestra, who have an album forthcoming on Anomalous, and Animist
          Quartets, who have one on Alluvial, and there's a collaboration w/
          Bernhard Guenter on Digital Narcis. Anomalous also have a mess of c60
          k7's which were coming out like newsletters for a while.

          Before the "natural materials" phase, he was in Blowhole, a jazz/punk
          ensemble who made what he's apparently decided was enough of a racket
          for a lifetime :-).

          If you get into his stuff, you'd probably also want to check out the
          work of Loren Chasse, both solo and in a duo w/ Jim Haynes under the
          name Coelocanth.

          --
          Jim Flannery newgrange@...

          Because they've created such a deep structure now, you can't
          get in. And we don't want to get in, we're on the outside.
          But we're not on the outside looking in, we're on the outside
          looking out. -- John Zorn

          np: Charles Curtis, _Ultra White Violet Light_
          nr: Jeff Vandermeer, _City of Saints and Madmen_
        • Davis Ford
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
            Hi Jim -- Thanks for the info. He certainly seems an
            opinionated fellow regarding his music. Sheesh. Does
            he use any electronics at all on this last Anomalous
            record..? Cuz, I swear I heard some electronically
            generated filler noises amidst pan-flute staccato
            blasts and tinkering with ceramics or some such thing.
            Music with pinecones, right? But not just any
            pinecone. I can get into that, I guess. I will look
            into this Loren Chasse / Coelocanth, etc. business you
            speak of.

            ...Carrot Top: yeah, I would not have gotten your post
            if Jim had not replied with it. Frankly, despite the
            fact that this is one of the few times you're on
            topic, I could care less. Jesus...if only you had
            half the wit of Ralph Wiggum, then I think we'd all be
            so much happier.

            http://www.engr.orst.edu/~rose/ralph/

            --davis

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
              Want to be rid of Davis Ford?...just wipe yer ass.
              Just can't leave it can you?

> [...]
              > > ensemble who made what he's apparently decided was
              > > enough of a racket
              > > for a lifetime :-).
              > >
              > > If you get into his stuff, you'd probably also want
              > > to check out the
              > > work of Loren Chasse, both solo and in a duo w/ Jim
              > > Haynes under the
              > > name Coelocanth.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Jim Flannery
              > > newgrange@s...
              > >
              > > Because they've created such a deep structure
              > > now, you can't
              > > get in. And we don't want to get in, we're on
              > > the outside.
              > > But we're not on the outside looking in, we're
              > > on the outside
              > > looking out.
              > > -- John Zorn
              > >
              > > np: Charles Curtis, _Ultra White Violet Light_
              > > nr: Jeff Vandermeer, _City of Saints and Madmen_

            • R. Lim
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
                One that fell by the wayside is his pre-Blowhole band Big Joey, which was
                his version of an 80s avant/downtown band. They had one album (Metalhead)
                and I would guess many tapes.

                On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
                honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
                20 has unsubscribed from the list. They were a post no-wave guitar trio
                whose career spanned the 80s that had an aesthetic similarity to early
                Sonic Youth. Although most of their tracks were fairly short, in some
                circumstances (most notably for me on their early live album) they
                stretched out into a kind of epic drone rock not too dissimilar to TFE-era
                Dead C. The drumming especially had a Yeatsian feel to it and if still
                seems unlikely to you, compare the cover of Harsh 70's to In Gut's House.
                Their records seem to still be pretty cheap on the secondhand market, so
                it might be worth a look-see.

                -rob

                --
                Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
              • Daniel
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
                  Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
                  different band?
                  Daniel

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
                    yOn Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Daniel wrote:

                    > Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
                    > different band?

                    You're thinking of Un- totally different band.

                    -rob

                    --
                    Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
                  • Lang Thompson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 4, 2002
                      >On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
                      >honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
                      >20 has unsubscribed from the list.

                      Not all of us. I saw Ut during a tour of the Deep South shortly before
                      their break up. A friend with me insisted I drive him home after hearing
                      just two minutes (literally!) of the band's set. By that time I wouldn't
                      have considered them very no-wavish though still pretty abrasive.

                      LT

                      -----------------------------
                      Violinist Bauer-Lechner on Mahler:
                      "The first thing he composed on paper at the
                      age of six was a polka, to which he added a
                      funeral march as an introduction."

                      The Funhouse Journal
                      http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/blog/journal.htm
                    • Steve Bates
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 5, 2002
                        jacqui ham now (or recently - last couple years) put out a couple cds
                        under the name Dial. on a label called cede. i have the first one and it's
                        pretty ut-ish. definitely a simialir aesthetic with drum machine. i have
                        ut's "early live life" and "griller" and love them both.

                        steve

                        steve bates
                        [www.dimcoast.org]

                        send + receive: a festival of sound
                        [www.sendandreceive.org]

                        ckuw 95.9 fm [www.ckuw.org]
                        dim coast radio on ckuw:
                        www.ckuw.org/listen.html
                        fridays: 12:00 - 14:00 cst ::: 18:00 - 20:00 utc]

                        On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Daniel wrote:

                        > Are members of Ut currently in the Double Leopards, or is that a
                        > different band?
                        > Daniel
                        >
                        > "R. Lim" wrote:
                        >
                        > > One that fell by the wayside is his pre-Blowhole band Big Joey, which was
                        > > his version of an 80s avant/downtown band. They had one album (Metalhead)
                        > > and I would guess many tapes.
                        > >
                        > > On a similar topic, I was kind of hoping someone would step in and do the
                        > > honors with respect to Ut, but it appears that everybody over the age of
                        > > 20 has unsubscribed from the list. They were a post no-wave guitar trio
                        > > whose career spanned the 80s that had an aesthetic similarity to early
                        > > Sonic Youth. Although most of their tracks were fairly short, in some
                        > > circumstances (most notably for me on their early live album) they
                        > > stretched out into a kind of epic drone rock not too dissimilar to TFE-era
                        > > Dead C. The drumming especially had a Yeatsian feel to it and if still
                        > > seems unlikely to you, compare the cover of Harsh 70's to In Gut's House.
                        > > Their records seem to still be pretty cheap on the secondhand market, so
                        > > it might be worth a look-see.
                        > >
                        > > -rob
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > Janitor From Mars playlists @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI

                      • stevolende
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 6, 2002
                          --- In thewire@y..., Steve Bates <sbates@u...> wrote:
                          > jacqui ham now (or recently - last couple years) put out a couple
                          cds
                          > under the name Dial. on a label called cede. i have the first one
                          and it's
                          > pretty ut-ish. definitely a simialir aesthetic with drum machine. i
                          have
                          > ut's "early live life" and "griller" and love them both.
                          >

                          > steve

                          i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                          Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                          noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.
                          My fav member was Nina Canal who was also in Dark Day with Tim wright
                          and maried to Rhys Chatham.
                          Nina was also in a band called the Gynaecologists who i know next to
                          nothing about.
                          I think shes in the clothing business in paris now, haven't seen her
                          in the last decade which is a pity, but thats what Sally said in
                          Dublin.
                          Stevo
                        • diskono2002
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 7, 2002
                            Hey

                            The Reynols CD on Betley Welcomes Careful Drivers is pretty rockin as
                            well. Might be a split with some label, i can't remember.

                            Hit - Ptodd@....

                            Best And Warmest

                            Joseph Sergej Velez aka His Cigar Smoke Was Unmissably Subtle

                            --- In thewire@y..., Anatole40@a... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 8/2/02 2:41:48 PM, thewire@y... writes:
                            >
                            > << Does anyone have any recommendations of where to start when
                            > buying the recordings of Reynols? Any favorites/essentials? >>
                          • R. Lim
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 7, 2002
                              On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, stevolende wrote:

                              > i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                              > Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                              > noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.

                              Thanks for the info. See how much you can communicate when your messages
                              aren't 10-screen long grammatical trainwrecks? (and I do mean that in the
                              fondest way possible)

                              -rob

                              --
                              Janitor From Mars playlists and archives @ http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LI
                            • stevolende
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 8, 2002
                                very funny that
                                i keep getting messages of appreciation off list over those things
                                a couple of people here have already seriously shown themselves up by
                                acting like that. do you need to join in? if so why?
                                i'm not in the mood
                              • stevolende
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 8, 2002
                                  --- In thewire@y..., "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@a...> wrote:
                                  > On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, stevolende wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > i brought up Sally Young's later band Quint's lp Time Wounds all
                                  > > Heals in one of my curent listening posts but I don't think it was
                                  > > noticed. Pretty good proggy-folky thing.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for the info.

                                  I may have overeacted earlier. but couldn't you have left the message
                                  there because I'm, getting fed up to the back teeth with people
                                  coming out with patronising guff like this

                                  See how much you can communicate when your messages
                                  > aren't 10-screen long grammatical trainwrecks? (and I do mean that
                                  in the
                                  > fondest way possible)
                                  >
                                  > -rob

                                  The infrormation was there, you didn't see it. I'm getting a lot of
                                  positive feedback on those playlists . Is this an Englishj lesson or
                                  something.?
                                  Those things get the message across.
                                  I started separating the entries because they seemed to be too much
                                  of a block.
                                  I got an email a couple of days back from someone who was at one
                                  point limiting themselves to 25 records at a time. This so that he
                                  could actually get a better feel for each of them.
                                  I think I'm trying to reach the same thing with those weekly cd
                                  bags, getting a better appreciation of each thing while spending
                                  time at the computer. could be that the amount I'm bringing in is a
                                  little high for the desired effect.
                                  I normally end the week with less in the bag than at the start.

                                  I also send those to several lists hoping to get different aspects
                                  brought out by peoople with different perspectives.
                                  I thought the blockage in communication was that every time I sent
                                  one, things got stupidly sidelined.

                                  Stevo
                                  Np 13fe Psychedelic World disc 1 Reverberation
                                • Simon Fay
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 9, 2002
                                    Just in case it hasn't already been covered -

                                    Bernhard Guenter's 'Buddha With The Sun Face/'Buddha
                                    With The Moon Face' incorporates material from a JJ
                                    performance (highly appropriate)

                                    Available from Mego's on-line shop at mdos.at

                                    Mdos is still offering Merzbow's 50 CD box.

                                    Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                                    Not me. Even if I had the will, it seems to belong to
                                    a stratum of high-disposable-income whimsy that
                                    belongs to high-fliers and/or employees of
                                    organisations that make such cultural
                                    management/zoology part of their brief. Curious as to
                                    what the demographic spread is of listers (again)

                                    SF (semi-employed post-grad)

                                    http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                                  • stevolende
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                      --- In thewire@y..., Simon Fay <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
                                      > Mdos is still offering Merzbow's 50 CD box.
                                      >
                                      > Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                                      I think that was me.

                                      > Not me. Even if I had the will, it seems to belong to
                                      > a stratum of high-disposable-income whimsy that
                                      > belongs to high-fliers and/or employees of
                                      > organisations that make such cultural
                                      > management/zoology part of their brief.

                                      which is one reason it seems slightly weird for an artist like
                                      Merzbow.
                                      Sinatra/Davis/Parker Presley i could understand a lot more. They're
                                      way more the kind of thing that somebody obsesses on and needs every
                                      last moment, or so I would think.
                                      What was that somebody said here a coupla days back? the last 35
                                      discs are pretty hardgoing ? even if that was the last 15 it seems
                                      absurdly high and therefore artificial.
                                      there has to be a point at which saturation occurs surely? you
                                      couldn't tell one thing from another because it all gets blended by
                                      the mind?
                                      I did a sound engineering course a couple of years back where the
                                      teacher was talking about multiple voicing(not the correct term)
                                      where orchestras are able to have a lot of different things happening
                                      at the same time and the human ear be able to hear it. I think he was
                                      also talking about synthesisers/computers being able to do the same
                                      thing. I thought surely theres a point where the human ear will just
                                      blend everything into white noise or something. I got the feeling
                                      that this looked fascinating on paper but wouldn't come off to great
                                      in practise.

                                      Curious as to
                                      > what the demographic spread is of listers (again)

                                      Sir, your slur confounds me. I thought we were all deeply authentic
                                      music fans :) (Sometimes I wonder though)

                                      >Stevo
                                      Np NWW thunder perfect mind Cold
                                    • reid tamashiro
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                        Can someone explain the reasoning behind the criticism
                                        of the Merzbox?

                                        HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                                        http://www.hotjobs.com
                                      • stevolende
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                          --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...> wrote:
                                          > Can someone explain the reasoning behind the criticism
                                          > of the Merzbox?

                                          that it seems way too large to ever get familiar with, among other
                                          things.
                                          I'm left wondering exactly how much of any artist you really need.
                                          plus the price seems to be out of most people's league, which brings
                                          in further considerations.
                                          Is this box set actually fully about the music?
                                          for one
                                          I think the thing thats been said is that it is left in a region
                                          where it becomes iconic in itself to have something like that.
                                          Unless you're going to be a fulltime committed Merzbow fan to the
                                          exclusion of anything else, how are you going to familiarise yourself
                                          with it.
                                          Are you going to be able to get through the whole thing even if you
                                          do cut out all other music? etc etc
                                          just seems a folly.
                                          like one of those weird buildings in the English countryside.
                                          does it maintain its original purpose?
                                          Stevo
                                        • reid tamashiro
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002
                                            --- stevolende <stevolende@...> wrote:
                                            > --- In thewire@y..., reid tamashiro <reidtama@y...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > > Can someone explain the reasoning behind the
                                            > criticism
                                            > > of the Merzbox?
                                            > >
                                            > that it seems way too large to ever get familiar
                                            > with, among other
                                            > things.
                                            > I'm left wondering exactly how much of any artist
                                            > you really need.
                                            > plus the price seems to be out of most people's
                                            > league, which brings
                                            > in further considerations.
                                            > Is this box set actually fully about the music?
                                            > for one
                                            > I think the thing thats been said is that it is left
                                            > in a region
                                            > where it becomes iconic in itself to have something
                                            > like that.
                                            > Unless you're going to be a fulltime committed
                                            > Merzbow fan to the
                                            > exclusion of anything else, how are you going to
                                            > familiarise yourself
                                            > with it.
                                            > Are you going to be able to get through the whole
                                            > thing even if you
                                            > do cut out all other music? etc etc
                                            > just seems a folly.
                                            > like one of those weird buildings in the English
                                            > countryside.
                                            > does it maintain its original purpose?

                                            But is this significantly different from an artist who
                                            puts out tons of recordings? I don't think there is
                                            really. The problem lies in the completist mentality I
                                            think, more than the artist. I think other musicians
                                            would love to do what Akita did, if they could and
                                            they thought it would work.

                                            HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
                                            http://www.hotjobs.com
                                          • chux
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 10, 2002

                                              > > Someone asked "who buys such things?"

                                              How many "such things" are there? I don't mean how many Merzboxes
                                              were made (OK, was it 1000?)... I mean how many artists/labels
                                              release 50 CD box sets?

                                              The people who bought it: Clearly people who have too much money; but
                                              that's their business (for the time being).

                                              I don't think that it was actually necessary to do a production run.
                                              In many ways the Merzbox would have been a better po-mo box-set if it
                                              had existed only as an idea/desire -- goad. In a practical sense
                                              that's as close as most all of us will get to its schwittering
                                              Ur-sounds ...

                                              chx
                                              --

                                              "meaning is the illusion of experience"