hal from apollo 69

  • jamello@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2002
      This was mentioned recently, a little more info please? I looked thru the
      local Japanese import section and found a CD by a group simply called "Hal"
      with a girl on the cover, is this the same thing? What label? Any
      recommended CDs/singles?

      Thanks.

      jack

    • Ng Wei Chian
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28, 2002
        > This was mentioned recently, a little more info please? I looked thru the
        > local Japanese import section and found a CD by a group simply called
        "Hal"
        > with a girl on the cover, is this the same thing?

        Nah, I was initially confused as well.....not sure what 'Hal' sounds like,
        but looks like another J-pop clone to me.

        What label? Any
        > recommended CDs/singles?

        They're on Toshiba-EMI, under Suite Supuesto!, which the Nelories (early
        '90s indie-pop duo) were on but which I guess has now become a branch of
        Toshiba-EMI. I've the Hal from Heaven album (their first was it?) and the
        Backfire Shuffle EP, both of which I recommend. One good hook after another
        on the album; the songs are in slightly varying but there's a coherence
        throughout the album so it doesn't sound patchy. Backfire Shuffle has songs
        which are pretty much in the same vein, and the last track Nexus goes off on
        this 15-minute droney lock-groove loop thing....nice. Did their sound change
        after this earlier period?

        They've an official site over at http://www.hal69.com/ What are they like
        over in Japan?Was wondering how popular they were....they're on a major
        label but seem to be willing to take a couple of chances here and there.