toons

  • stevolende
    Message 1 of 29 , Jul 27, 2002
      I'm going to keep sending these since the positive responses make it
      worthwhile when they come through. If you can add any info to whats
      posted here or suggest related music thats worth checking out please
      do so.
      I can't see the point in adding negativity it doesn't look very good

      in the bag this week

      NURSE WITH WOUND Automating Volume 1
      Skullf***ing compilation of various collaborations.
      Did this come with a credit insert? Cos I don't know who's on it
      Met him locally last week, couldn't work out what his best stuff was.
      What's reccommended?

      SONIC YOUTH Sonic Starpower
      Bootleg of the central park NYC gig from 92 where Sun Ra supported.
      The downtown NYC answer to the Grateful Dead?
      Weird situation with boots in this town found this in a chainstore
      What other bootlegs by these are essential?

      GUN CLUB Early Warning
      The closest legally available equivalent to the band's Miami lp.
      Hopefully that will eventually be rectified.
      This came from drummer Terry Graham's tapes and includes the demos
      for the first lp, a live set from the time of Miami and a cd of solo
      run throughs of songs by bandleader Jeffrey Lee Pierce

      MARK EITZEL Lovers Leap USA
      Tour Cd by ex American Music Club leader. This has different
      songtitles on the sleeve and disc. I think some of this has Kid Congo
      and Steve Shelley on.
      Several tracks later turned up on Mark's Invisible Man cd

      LIQUID LIQUID
      Mo'Wax compi of all the eps by NYC beat merchant's whose Cavern's
      bassline was swiped for White Lines.

      SCREAMING TREES Anthology SST Years 1985-1989
      Weird to find such a garage sounding band on Black Flag's label.
      Mark Lanegan has to be the best air double bass player I ever saw.
      He was also a big fan of JLP.
      Gotta check out the later heavier stuff too. Is any of theirs bad?

      BARDO POND Set and Setting
      Seasick Psychedelia. Huge lumbering riffs with strung out female
      vocals. Very more-ish is the rest of thier stuff as good. I've only
      heard this, the track on Robots Bugs and Spacemen and New Drunks from
      THe No Disco compi

      TOKYO INVASION Volume 1 Cosmic Kurushi Monsters
      Japanese noise rock compi from several years back
      including Musica TRansonic(whose first lp accidentally blew the
      pirate radio station I was on's mixing desk -heavily overloud mix on
      that thing)
      Masaki Batoh's short acoustic version oF CAn's YoO Do Right
      and some totally damaged DEtroit type dunt

      SAVAGE REPUBLIC Customs
      The last studio work by LA krautrock sounding band.
      Here they were stuck in Greece during a customs strike and rework
      some of their previous lp Jamahiriya acoustically, alongside heavy
      rocking digs at Steve Albini,
      Noisy gruelling self examination in Sucker Punch
      and postrock blueprints in the shape of Archetpe

      MELVIN VAN PEEBLES Rated X By An All White Jury
      Monologues by great black writer/filmmaker over great uncredited funk
      stuff.
      His 3 early 70s lps Brer Soul, Ain't Supposed to Die A Natural Death
      and As Serious As A heart Attack compiled on a double cd by A+M. I'm
      not sure if this package is still available. If you find it buy it.
      I have heard Melvin dissed heavily over the way he made informers
      look good in the film Panther which he wrote, but this is great.

      MEAT PUPPETS Up On The Sun
      mid 80s post hardcore psych greatness by one of the greatest guitar
      trios ever .
      mixes bluegrass derived guitar playing with more classical
      influences (Sugar Plum Fairy) while remaining resolutely funky and
      acid drenched.

      KYUSS Blues For the red Sun
      The Desert Rock lp.

      FIRE ENGINES Fond
      Scottish early 80s indies. Television guitars over hyperfunky
      rhythms. A Scottish Bush Tetras? The first release on Alan McGee's
      Rev-Ola records.
      Contains Candy Skin, Lubricate Your Living Room, Meat Whiplash, eps
      Lp and Peel Sessions

      KRAKATAU Matinale
      Finnish Psychedelic rock jazz with Raoul Bjorkenheim et al including
      Jone Takamaki on various weird reeds.
      cold and heavy

      MOJO presents Trojan Explosion
      Trojan compi from latest Mojo.
      weird looking cd too, al black plastic no metal? but great compi from
      a great label.

      50 FT HOSE Cauldron
      Folk psych meets electronics. Weasel Disc version(also available on
      Big Beat as a Nugget FRom THe Golden State
      Nancy Blossom's got a pretty good voice
      great trippy version of Billie Holiday's God Bless THe Child
      I've heard these had a reunion, was it any good?

      AUGUSTUS PABLO Dub Reggae and Roots from The Melodica King
      Great compi of melodica man. East of The river Nile sends shivers
      down my spine

      DANDO SHAFT
      Early 70s acoustic folk group with jazz influence.

      TIM BUCKLEY Return Of The Starsailor
      The 74 Knebworth stuff, plus some from Texas just before he died and
      the Monkees show version of Song to the Siren.
      I love Art Johnson's approximation of Coltrane on guitar in the
      kNebworth stuff
      I think the live versions here show that Buckley still had the
      animation live thats missing from his last couple of lps. The Texas
      stuff's not in the best fi. I don't notice that on the Knebworth.
      Wish somebody'd officially release the Knebworth video.

      ELECTRIC PRUNES Live in Stockholm 67
      This shows that what was always seen as a studio group could cut it
      live.
      Pre Stooges Detroit type dunt.

      VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO Live in Columbus 1966 Part II
      This is the disc with 1/2 an hour of the wordless 'Nothing song'
      which is one of the most beautiful things I ever heard.

      YMA SUMAC Voice of The Xtabay and other exotic delights
      Rev Ola compi of the Sun Goddess's stuff unfortunately missing Monos.
      Amy Camus or a real Peruvian?

      JOHN MCLAUGHLIN /SANTANA Love Devotion, Surrender
      Vital jazz guitar duets. Why this gets bad press I don't know.
      Has it been reassessed since Bill Laswell's remix?

      QUIET SUN Mainstream
      Phil Manzanera, Brian Eno and Charles Hayward.
      If more prog had been like this it probably wouldn't have such a bad
      name.

      SILVER APPLES 1/Contact (TRC)
      Late 60s electronic.drums duo. Naïve but catchy.
      Is there much difference in sound between this TRC version and the
      official reissue? Trying to work out if I need it again.
      Stevo
      NP Melvin Van Peebles Rated X... Funky Girl on Motherless Broadway
    • Stevo <stevolende@yahoo.co.uk>
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 18, 2002
        wossinthebag?
        CYMANDE The Message
        2cd compi of the mainly West Indian bands 3 early 70s Afro Rock lps.
        Some parts sound oddly like a cross between Santana and Can. Others
        veer on the over mellow funky.

        SCORPIONS Lonesome Crow
        Only lp by the original Michael Schenker era line up. More jazzy
        Black Sabbath or
        Sabbaf meets Floyd. Weird teutonic background harmonics make this
        verge on the kraut.

        EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN 1991-2001 Strategies Against Architecture III
        Compi of Berlin crew's mellower quasi folky 90s material including a
        couple of points that verge on the garagey. Some people think they
        lost it when the first well known line up ended. I like this , I
        think I actually played it more when I got it than
        Anything else I have by them.

        JIMI HENDRIX Electric Ladyland
        Need I say more. One of the essential lps of the late 60s. Saying
        which it took me way too long to get it on cd.wonder what it would
        sound like if jimi hadn't gotten caught up with obsessively patching
        up the sound.

        LEWIS TAYLOR
        Oceanic Marvin Gaye meets Shuggie Otisisms from ex Edgar Broughton
        sideman.

        GRAM PARSONS Gp/Grievous Angel
        $1000 Wedding suited my mood yesterday. Too much shit getting me
        down . Is Xmas always like this?
        Exemplary country soul from one time Byrd would be stone.

        ISIS Oceanic
        Drone rock been compared to Neurosis meets Mogwai.
        Deserving of the hype in my Humble opinion.

        BLACKALICIOUS Blazing Arrow
        Gift of the Gab master of cadence on jazzy hip hop lp . Guest
        appearances by Gil Scott heron and Scott La Rock

        DEATH Leprosy
        Wish I could come up with a genre specifically for this. If I call it
        Death metal it has to carry the morass of certain cack that came
        after it. Surprisingly melodic for such a heavy lp. State of the art
        late 80s rock, transcends the genre.

        CABARET VOLTAIRE Original Sound Of Sheffield 78/82
        Latest compi of the Sheffield garage electric funkers . Includes
        their cover of The Seeds' No Escape alongside folky melodic
        paranoiac stuff like the set up.

        JOHN COLTRANE A Love Supreme
        The jazz cornerstone. JC giving thanks that he beat his addiction.
        Recently re-released with an extra disc of live at Antibes and sextet
        out-take versions of a couple of the movements.

        RALPH STANLEY
        Self titled lp by longstanding bluegrass singer. Including a version
        of Matie Groves. Must try to pick up some of the earlier Stanley
        brothers stuff while I'm in London. This is pretty tasty anyway.

        WHITE HEAVEN Out
        Very garagey sounding 90s Japanese guitar psych. Sounds as much like
        Galaxie 500 play Red Crayola as the QMS meet Sabbath that I first
        heard it described as. Not phat enough for Sabbath. Nice enough anyway

        HERMAN'S HERMITS Blaze
        Their psychedelic lp. I've always been reminded of this by classic
        era Stone Roses.
        Tryingto work out if the choogling bass on Moonshine man is supposed
        to be an attempt at CCRhood.

        GOD MACHINE One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying
        Last lp by London based Californian heavy band. Dedicated to bassist
        Jimmy Hernandez who died just before it came out. Robin Proper
        Shephard's quite a handy guitarist for somebody who was forced into
        the role by the original guitarist quitting instead of facing Camden
        squats. Austin's drumming sometimes verges on the classical. Shephard
        went on to Sophia what happened to Austin?

        TIM BUCKLEY Dream Letter
        Live 68 double cd. One of the best places to hear him. He went
        through several different phases without losing quality. This is semi
        acoustic drummerless folk jazz
        With last minute addition bassist Danny Thompson fitting in very well.

        BIRTHDAY PARTY 81-82
        Raw as f***. What can yopu say. The only official live lp that the
        band wanted to put out. Drunk On the Pope's Blood doesn't count cos
        its too short and It's Still lIvuing should've meant the person who
        put it out wasn't (at least as the band view it).
        If this is representative then I gotta kick myself even more
        vehemently for not seeing them live.
        How many times did they play the Venue in 81? (same venue as DOTPB)
        And are the Stooges really from Italy? ;-)

        MUDDY WATERS Electric Mud
        Chess forced attempt atr turning bluesman into psych rock act. Or the
        birth of black metal?
        I think this would stand up better if disociated from the Rest of
        Muddy's catalogue.
        Cosey's got the skronk.

        GRATEFUL DEAD Live Dead
        Box set version. You can hear more instruments on this than before.
        One of THE great live lps ever. Interesting to see what the tracks
        that actually were recorded segueing into each other were.
        Must see whjat Dick's Pickses I can pick up in London.
        Need 1, 4, 8 +pretty much everything else between 68 and 72.
        Oh and Blues For Allah/One from the Vault.

        ANIMALS Inside Looking Out 65-66
        This is the Sequel version of the last 2 postr Alan Price lps. I've
        just seen that Repertoire have an extended version of Animalisms out
        with a lot of this same material.
        Grand Funk do a cool version of the title track on the Live lp
        And the band have actually written some of their own material by this
        time
        But still Clapping which seems to be a Steve Reich exercise seems a
        strange choice for a blues group.

        SLY &THE FAMILY STONE A Whole New Thing
        First lp by the funkers. The first couple of lps are pretty mega if
        you can find them.
        Sounds like it belongs to the Haight scene it came from but it surely
        do bring the funk.
        Stevo
        Np Cymande The Message Fug
      • John Farrar
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 18, 2002
          > GRATEFUL DEAD Live Dead
          > Box set version. You can hear more instruments on this than before.
          > One of THE great live lps ever. Interesting to see what the tracks
          > that actually were recorded segueing into each other were.
          > Must see whjat Dick's Pickses I can pick up in London.
          > Need 1, 4, 8 +pretty much everything else between 68 and 72.
          > Oh and Blues For Allah/One from the Vault.

          Check out www.gdlive.com

          John F.
        • Stevo <stevolende@yahoo.co.uk>
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 19, 2002
            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "John Farrar" <jfarrar@b...> wrote:
            > > GRATEFUL DEAD Live Dead
            > > Box set version. You can hear more instruments on this than
            before.
            > > One of THE great live lps ever. Interesting to see what the
            tracks
            > > that actually were recorded segueing into each other were.
            > > Must see whjat Dick's Pickses I can pick up in London.
            > > Need 1, 4, 8 +pretty much everything else between 68 and 72.
            > > Oh and Blues For Allah/One from the Vault.
            >
            > Check out www.gdlive.com
            >
            > John F.

            looks like a major hubba
            one of these days I'll actually work out how to download that stuff
            on these college computers.
            stevo
            Np Blackalicious day one
          • Stevo <stevolende@yahoo.co.uk>
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 10, 2003

              Thanks to everybody who wished me a happy happy. Happy happy
              evrybuddy whose b-days are around now.
              Loved Two Towers, can't wait for the next one. Think I'm gwan go see
              Gangs of New York this avvy. or maybe the Quiet American.
              Here's what's in my bag this week. Dunno why on some ov it.

              FOETUS CORRUPTUS Rife
              Jim live with the COG Swans minus Gira and Jarboe. Hardrocking .
              Includes renamed version of Faith Healer by SAHB.

              JADE WARRIOR Last Autumn's Dream
              3rd lp by ex July progsters. Veers between quiet stuff and heavy
              still maintaining ambient edge. Heavily Asian folk influenced. Demon
              Trucker is a joke innit?
              This is the Background version. I thought they were a bootleg label
              but this is remastered from original tapes.

              LITTLE RICHARD The Original British Hit Singles
              From 56-64 hard hitting r+r. Listening to this you get hit in the
              face with a wall of energy. I can see a straight line from this to
              the Stooges wit5h a few other influences bunged in. James Brown
              started as a Little Richard copyist, that wasn't the link but it
              might give an indication.

              GHOSTFACE KILLER Ironman
              The Wu with the cadence. Trying to catch up on some of this lot's
              good stuff.

              CRASS Christ the Album
              Even the cd of this sounds raw. Strange for something so reliant on
              tape collage.
              I guess it had to to be punk?

              NEIL YOUNG On The Beach/Live 71
              Bootleg of the lp that Neil still refuses to release on cd. Alongside
              mostly acoustic live set from BBC radio in 71.

              SHIRLEY COLLINS Within Sound Disc 3
              From 70 to 77, 3rd disc from recently issued career spanning box set.
              This is the disc with selections from `Love Death and the Lady' and
              No Roses.
              It might take a bit of getting used to her voice but I hear the seeds
              of the Current 93 sound in the droning arrangements with sister
              Dolly. Must get the individual cds.
              Wish Irish distribution was better also wish I didn't keep losing
              copies of Power of the true Love Knot

              DEBRIS Static Disposal
              Arizona mid 70s psych rock by tripping born agains. Heavy guitar
              distortion.

              COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH Electric Music For The Mind And Body
              Essential San Fran lp by ex folk band

              ALTERNATIVE TV The Image Has Cracked
              Punk goes avant? Or is that the geezer wot wrote Sniffin Glue expands
              the parameters of what could be considered punk. This comes double
              length with as much extra material as was on the record. Includes
              original of Viva La rocknroll.

              HOME XIV
              Weird band that I thought would be more avant. Seem to slip between
              warped Dinos and more proggy stuff

              GENESIS Nursery Cryme
              3rd lp by progheads. This is from the time when they were changing
              line ups every record . They still didn't quite have their heads
              overly rectally implanted.
              A bit of english weirdness? Sumbudy help me. I got told that the
              Gabriel stuff was ok and bits of this are pretty enjoyable. Think I
              better stick on some SAvage REssurrection or sump'n?

              GHANA SOUNDZ
              Ultra-funky Compi of 70s African funk Jazz etc. I really like these
              hybrid ethnic takes on Western song forms, just picked up Turkish
              Delights as well which is Turkish garage stuff from the 60s

              YES Close To The Edge
              The space parts of this are ok, couldn't somebody remove Jon Anderson?
              That is to say the ensemble playing kind of touches me but Mr No-
              balls just jars. Am i becoming a proggie? Bleaming hope not.
              Actually the two bits on this that I can stand are the intro to the
              first track and all of the last track. Working on a time machine to
              I thought I'd check these out before completely dismissing them
              +Keith Levene's recently come out as a major Yes-head which I think
              was also true of a lot of the CHicago house producers ten years back.

              GRATEFUL DEAD Dick's Picks Vol 16
              3cd set from November1969. Band including Tom Constanten in frequent
              free-flightafter first disc which is more song orientated with the
              old time country stuff already coming in.
              I think everything in this series dated between 68 and 73 is a safe
              purchase. Dunno about the later stuff and I normally wouldn't go as
              late as 77 but DP3 grew on me.
              A few of these are currently available in record shops instead of
              online excvlusives.
              I heard that GD were one of the greatest live bands of the time. I
              think this is evidence in that idea's favour.

              ALBERT AYLER Love Cry
              Psychedelic lp by avant jazz primitivist. Have you heard the vocals
              on this disc?
              I read the Forcedexposure review of this when it came out, talking
              about the photo of brother Donald Ayler looking at his trumpet as
              though it was alien, but I don't recall talk of the non verbal
              vocalisation on this. It is down right weird

              ELECTRIC WIZARD Come My Fanatics…./Electric Wizard
              Ultra heavy 1st 2 lps by Devon trio who apparently didn't split last
              year just lost their drummer. The development between these 2 records
              is noticeable they go from sounding like warped Sabbath to far more
              drone space orientated. Is all the fuzzmud bass cos otherwise how did
              they recreate this stuff live?

              DAVID BOWIE Hunky Dory
              First post hippy lp by Bowie. Great Piano based stuff with hidden
              guitar goodness and less
              embarrassing lyrics than MWSTW which sounds good but looks like DB
              was cashing in on prog/stoner stuff.
              I always loved Kooks, didn't actually realise that was what it was
              til I bought this. Grew up with these records coming in from the next
              room cos my brother was a fan. Should've picked up on this stuff
              wayback. I think this is going to be a fav. 4 of First 5 tracks are
              great, other stuff's pretty decent

              VARIOUS TROJAN Flashing Echo
              Dub cd of 70-80 stuff as great as most of the other Trojan 2cd sets
              methinks. Goes from Andy Capp's Pop A top to Scientist

              COIL The Golden Hare With A Voice Of Silver
              Frequently eerie 2cd coupling of the Rusian overview cds. Lost Rivers
              of London is especially great. I must check out more of this stuff.

              Stevo
              Np David Bowie Hunky Dory Andy Warhol
            • Stevo <stevolende@yahoo.co.uk>
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 21, 2003
                contents of the bag this week
                ZOMBIES Decca Stereo Anthology
                2cd compi of the r+b/pop stuff from the most exam qualified band from
                the 60s. For a buncha swots they're pretty dashed cooking. Seem more
                jazz influenced than most of the other bands I've heard from the time.
                I've heard they were a large influence on Love circa dA Capo/Forever
                Changes and Santana covered She's Not THere much later. wonder who
                else they influenced?
                Must get Odyssey and Oracle and then check out the later solo stuff.

                SWANS Feel Good Now
                '87 Children Of God era band live including 20 minute version of
                Blind Love which I always loved from the moment I saw it live.
                What this cd doesn't have is the image of Mike Gira rolling around in
                a nappy.
                Wonder if they're about to reissue 2 Anonymous Figures in a room
                which was the official bootleg of the next year's heavy folk phase(I
                Think)

                HIGH ON FIRE Surrounded By Thieves
                About the most violent lp I've ever heard. Matt Pike takes out his
                frustrations by writing sword and sorcery/pagan primitive lyrics and
                assaulting the eardrums with his guitar and his bandmates drums and
                bass.
                Pike has the hoarsest voice that side of Lemmy methinks.

                SQUIRE OF SOMERTON Transverberations
                Weird psych type stuff that veers from trip-hoppy dance stuff to YES
                style guitars.
                Most eccentric.

                LITTER Distortions+
                '66 First lp by 60s punk/psych band. Mostly covers of earlier British
                Invasion stuff by The Who, Small Faces and The Yardbirds with killer
                guitar by Bill Strandloff. Here joined by the live versions of tracks
                from the second lp that were recorded during the filming for the film
                Medium Cool but replaced with the Mothers Flower Punk onscreen. Seems
                a shame since these are more muscular versions of the tracks and
                maybe replace the need to own the 2nd lp $100 Fine

                ETHIOPIQUES 13 The Golden Seventies
                Another volume of the series of African funk stuff. This is a few
                years later than the stuff I'd heard before, coming from `76 and '77.
                Thankfully hasn't slid into the disco mire that was marring the music
                coming from the West at the same time. Has some guitar that verges on
                the metallic. I've got to get some more of this series, what I've
                heard so far has been stellar.

                GAA Auf Der Bahn Zum Uranus
                Krautrock from '73. Listening to this on my ghettoblaster I thought
                it sounded very Frisco Ballroom like, listening to it on headphones
                I'm not so sure.
                Still great trancey stuff with acoustic meets electric guitars.

                COIL The Golden Hare With The Voice of Silver
                The 2cd version of the Russian compilations. Frequently very eerie
                stuff between echoey acoustic stuff and electro beats.

                GUN CLUB Miami
                2nd lp by LA postpunk band led by Jeffrey Lee Pierce.This is one of
                my all time fav lps. Weird mix of country type slide guitars over
                bass dominated sound.
                I hear this as close to the country lp that the Doors never recorded.
                I have this on cdr with the Death Party e.p. after it. I heard it was
                due a rerelease last year soi hopefully that's forthcoming. If they
                have any sense they'll bung out a 2cd thingy call it The Animal years
                and have the stuff I have here plus the early version of Walking With
                The Beast and The Las Vegas Story lp plus whatever out-takes. If they
                have any more sense they'll get the live recording from Italy of Mr
                Duckworth and give it an official release.

                GILA Night Works
                Muscular krautrock. Taken from a '72 radio performance same line up
                as first s/t lp playing mainly new material so possibly viewable as
                substitute for a 2nd lp. Very trancey sounds like a good option if
                you're looking for early 70s heavy. Mainly instrumental featuring the
                guitar of Conny Veit who was later with Popul Vuh. And is no relation
                to the Cabinet of Dr Caligari/same eyebrows as Blixa guy

                NAZZ Open Our Eyes
                2cd compi of all the released material by Todd Rundgren's first well
                known band.
                Heavy guitar dominated Brit invasion loving stuff.

                TRAFFIC John Barleycorn Must Die
                Originally solo lp by Stevie Winwood becomes 3rd classic lp by
                Traffic. Title track is a reworking of an old English Harvest folk
                tune.This is the remaster from a couple of years back complete with a
                couple of tracks live from The Fillmore from the time.
                I was surprised by how funky the lp sounded on first hearing it. Been
                meaning to buy it for ages.

                ISAAC HAYES Shaft Soundtrack
                Soundtrack to the blaxploitation movie. Here joined by the Bar-kays ,
                The Movement and The Memphis strings and Horns. Mainly instrumental
                music done as a soundtrack but stands up individually well enough.
                I got this especially for the 20 minute version of Do Your Thing
                which cooks throughout(was replaced on the most recent remastering by
                a 4 minute version, an action I think sucks).
                Gotta get more of him pre 73(?) and hope my Bar-kays Black Rock cd
                appears before too long they're great here

                CACTUS Cactology
                Heavy blues band featuring rhythm section from Vanilla fudge,
                Guitarist from The Detroit Wheels . Initially formed while the
                Fudgers were waiting for Jeff Beck to get the nerve together to join.

                AUGUSTUS PABLO King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown
                One of the archetypal dub lps. Strangely not featuring much melodica
                considering who's doing most of the lead.

                GROUP 1850 Agemo's Trip To Mother Earth
                The 67 Dutch psych concept lp plus singles from 66 to 69.
                Very strange, the singles get pretty krautrocky.
                This is the version on Pseudonym with the 3d cover and glasses

                BLACK SABBATH Master Of Reality
                3rd lp by Brum heavies. This might be their best.
                Love the Rhythm stuff under Children Of The Grave anyway.

                CHARLIE FEATHERS Wild Wild Party
                Hour+ bootleg cd by the rockabilly. Includes several different
                versions of several tracks. This is great but the sound does slip
                from time to time and its got no sleevenotes.
                Wonder what the Revenant lp's like?

                GENESIS Nursery Cryme
                English pastoral sounding lp from 71. If I forget who its by I think
                its got its share of moments. I'm still trying to work out whivch hip-
                hop song starts with a sample of the musical box. Hope This ain't the
                start of a lapse into proghood.

                GHOSTFACE KILLAH Ironman
                Very r'n'b based sound for the Wu with the great cadence. I think if
                I heard a live band playing something like this I'd be a happy chappy.
                This features The Delfonics on at least one track.

                ARCHIE SHEPP Fire Music
                Shepp from 66 with lp that gave a name to a genre though it ain't
                quite that noisy.
                MC5 used to cover Hambone which I'd love to hear. This is pretty
                great r'n'b jazz including a great version of Girl From Ipanema.
                Strange to hear a trombone used in music this groovy.

                VARIOUS TURKISH DELIGHTS
                compi of Mainly 60s garage/psych stuff from Turkey. The combination
                of Beat/R'n'b with Turkish folk influence leads to something pretty
                psychy.
                I've read that this is far more garagey than Hava Nagile the other
                recent Turkish compi which was supposed to be the psych one. If
                that's true and this sounds as cool as it do I wonder what that's
                like.
                Stevo
                Np Issac Hayes Shaft Cafe Regio's
              • greg curtis
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 21, 2003
                  got the new calla record today, better than
                  advertised, can't recommend it enough! why doesn't the
                  wire cover them? seems like the perfect mix of
                  electronics and rock that they usually cream their
                  jeans over....

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@yahoo.c
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 21, 2003
                    Hey Father Sod, the booklet to Gila-Nightworks states Conny Veit
                    is "a relative of Conrad Veit, one of Germay's best-known actors".
                    Next time you drop some cool info on us, you might want to check that
                    it's correct, or at least read the freakin' booklet that comes with
                    your new cd.
                    P.s. I heard Conny Veit committed suicide recently. Anyone know if
                    this is true?

                    --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "Stevo <stevolende@y...>"

                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 29, 2003
                      What's in the bag this week for me aural delectation?
                      AMON DUUL Paradieswarts Duul
                      The sole LP by the original band not taken from the famous 68 jam.
                      After hearing about banks of bongos for years this seems surprisingly
                      drum light. Pretty percussive on the other instruments though. Very
                      spare, near acoustic sounding electric band play 3 long tracks (plus
                      both sides of the single on this Captain Trip version). Somewhat
                      reminiscent of the Velvets

                      CHROME The Chronicles
                      Dossier version of the LP that came as an extra record with the
                      original vinyl box set if I'm thinking right. This is the one with
                      Anorexic Sacrifice and The Chronicle of the Beacon on. Heavy
                      skronking psych metal? Dunno how this is normally classified. I'd say
                      File Under Chrome? Or maybe Avant Garage?

                      OUM KALSOUM The Mother Of The Arabs
                      The great Arabic singer with acoustic small group sounding
                      instrumentation. This has next to no information but sounds
                      atmospheric. Can't think what to say other than she's one of Jah
                      Wobble's favs and I've been meaning to get her material for years.
                      This could be anything from 5 players up. Wish I could tell if it was
                      a sole instrument playing a riff or an entire orchestra. Some of this
                      does sound to thick for one though.

                      CONGOS Heart Of The Congos
                      One of the essential Reggae LPs. Perry imbues the production on what
                      otherwise would be a folk-gospel-harmony LP with so much spaciousness
                      that it is downright psychedelic. I hear comparisons to things like
                      Can as well as Malian stuff by the likes of Kasse Mady.
                      Also reminds me of some of that Riley,Reich or Glass stuff heavy
                      shimmering repetition.

                      UFO 2 Flying One Hour Space Rock
                      Mogg and co playing heavy spacerock from 72. Some great wah wah and
                      slide herein, though the rhythm section occasionally seems to drag.
                      But I keep wondering how the original vinyl came out was it 2 sides
                      of ½ an hour each or what? Pretty difficult to break it up otherwise
                      with 2 majorly long tracks and 3 semi normal ones

                      POPUL VUH Hosianna Mantra
                      Mostly instrumental stuff by Fricke and co. Here joined by the guitar
                      of Conny Veit between Gila incarnations. Very Ambient mix of Fricke's
                      piano and Veit's Noodlehood. Nice stuff especially thanx to the
                      ethereal vocals of Djong Yun. Fricke by this time has taken on the
                      band name for himself.
                      Finally got to look at a copy of the book in the library here. Those
                      Mayans would've made great late 60s SF poster artists.

                      JADE WARRIOR
                      Strangely ambient sounding first LP by ex July progsters. Sections of
                      heavy guitar and mainly African derived ethnic drumming with added
                      flute.
                      I keep wondering what July were like if they turned into this. Do
                      some of the same influences show?

                      OXFORD CIRCLE Live At The Avalon 1966
                      66 garage-impro-raveup Yardbirdsy takes on Brit invasion sounds
                      including covers of The Animals, Yardbirds and the typical Bo Diddley
                      etc.(I'm a Man, Mojo Working)
                      Should disparage the idea that Blue Cheer couldn't play since Paul
                      Whalley is stretching out here quite adequately 2 years before
                      Vincebus Eruptum. Half the guitar here comes from Gary Yoder whose
                      KAk material is great too, then he rejoined Whalley who was kicked
                      out of OC in Blue Cheer. The band name comes from a local university
                      female dorm.

                      LARRY YOUNG Lawrence Of Newark
                      Very Spacey psychy jazz lp by organ player Young and pretty big band
                      apparently including first appearance of James `Blood' Ulmer on not
                      very guitar sounding guitar and an uncredited Pharaoh Sanders.

                      SHIRLEY COLLINS Within Sound Disc2
                      2nd disc of the box set ranges from stuff with Davy Graham in 64 to
                      an Xmas LP from 69. The portative organ by her sister Dolly is great
                      and the later tracks sound oddly psychedelic for acoustic traditional
                      stuff.

                      KINKS Ultimate Collection
                      Had to start somewhere didn't I? Been meaning to get some of their
                      stuff for years. And found this in a sale. Where next after this? It
                      sounds pretty good up to about 72.
                      Dunno about the late 80s stuff at the end though.
                      See My Friends has been claimed as one of the earliest raga-
                      influenced rock tracks.
                      Ray Davies seems to be a closer influence on most of the other mid
                      60s Brit invasion songwriters than Dylan.

                      SAVAGE REPUBLIC Jamahiriya
                      `88 Last planned studio LP by LA based ethnic-drone rockers. Very
                      Psych and also heavily krautrock sounding. I know the influence is in
                      there.
                      I think the reissues are still available from here
                      http://www.mobilization.com/catalog.html
                      I foolishly lost the rest of the cds when my bag disappeared or
                      they'd be being eulogised here too. This was both my fav and the only
                      one in at Rough Trade when I was there over Xmas.

                      YARDBIRDS Cumular Limit
                      The Page era stuff mostly live including the Yardbirds take on Jake
                      Holmes Dazed and confused, which has different lyrics to the Zep
                      rewrite.
                      I grabbed this from Stand Out after fearing I'd missed it when I
                      forgot to buy it a year earlier. I thought I'd heard that Mr Page
                      withdrew it from sales almost as soon as it was released. Pretty
                      tasty though.

                      SAUTER, DIETRICH, MOORE Barefoot In The Head
                      Crunching freeblowfest from Borbetomagus' horns and Sonic Thurston.
                      An entire disc of instrumental L.A. Blues from NYC?
                      Comes with liner notes by Thomas Pynchon and leaves you with no ears.
                      Luvlee. 2 Freedmen and A Slave.

                      KRAFTWERK Man Machine
                      '78 LP in English version. Long after their krautrock dissonance this
                      is percussively rhythm centred melody. Contains an Albini-free The
                      Model and Neon Lights which the Blue Nile tried to rewrite on Hats.
                      The gap between the early Krautrock stuff and this is a similar
                      distance as between the first 2 Suicide lps a band that I've heard
                      Ralf and Florian were digging at the time. Here you can hear way more
                      Beach Boys though, though its been teutonicised and rigified. Very
                      Danceable.

                      PESHAY Fusion
                      What do you call this stuff? From this example pretty good.
                      The most jazzy of the Metalheads back on form.
                      Got slipped this by somebody who does the distribution.

                      WARHORSE As Heaven Turns To Ash
                      Ultra heavy doom/stoner rock with weird jazz like undercurrents and
                      folky ambient short tracks breaking up the sludge. Some of this
                      reminds heavily of things like Guru Guru only the rhythm section keep
                      reminding you that it's metal.
                      Anyway one of my most frequently played discs of last year.

                      CHARLES WRIGHT AND THE WATTS 103RD STREET RHYTHM BAND Express
                      Yourself: the Best of
                      LA late 60s/ early 70-s funk crew. Been meaning to get this since I
                      saw him interviewed in the Lee Perry covered Grand Royale several
                      years back. Very funky though I was heavily surprised by the Stax
                      like deep Soul stuff. I wish this had the recording dates down cos I
                      like knowing what years things like this are from.

                      GENTLE GIANT Octopus
                      Trying to work out what it is about this that I love. Seems like a
                      mix of folk and jazz with Beatlesy touches that would pass as pretty
                      great pop if played straight. What the band did here though was to
                      break up melody lines between as many instruments as possible and add
                      filigree to points of near Baroquery. Heavy influence from medieval
                      folk too.
                      To think this was once the Mod soul band Simon Dupree and the Big
                      Sound. Maybe its that influence that stops this vanishing up its own
                      end. I heard that desperate dancefloor types started getting into the
                      earlier GG material looking for that perfect beat.

                      GOLDENROD
                      Famous session musicians for the likes of the Fifth Dimension play
                      heavy stoner instrumentals. Here in both mono and stereo takes with
                      very different playing times.

                      FRACTION Moonblood
                      Hippy Heavy Jesus rock with Morrison as aged tramp vocals. And some
                      majorly tasty guitar. Just been reissued from masters with 3 extra
                      tracks. Was gonna ask why this sounds so bad but I guess its just a
                      Flashback Boot

                      SWANS Feel Good Now
                      The Children of God Swans put a band together and have everybody play
                      rhythm. And no t'aint as funky frenetic as the JBs. Dashed tasty
                      though. Martial rhythms and guitar like a gutpunch.
                      Gira at the time decried the idea of improvisation. Could have fooled
                      me. How do you get from 6-minute songs to 20-minute versions without
                      it?

                      MISSION OF BURMA (Rykodisc compi)
                      The US answer to WIRE etc? I hear echoes of the same influences as
                      Joy Division picked up on. This is the currently out of print cd with
                      the first e.p. and VS LP on.
                      I've read people wondering why Roger Miller got to write so many
                      tracks since his writing style seemed less coherent than Prescott's.
                      The idea seems to be that he should have stuck to the out of left
                      field guitar stuff and added to songs by a tunesmith instead of being
                      too Avant-garde(at least that's how I remember it).
                      Me I Like this. Especially the elegiac stuff like Einstein's Day .
                      Was it Chrome or Destroy All Monsters that Miller was a short-term
                      member of? Must get hold of a copy of that Sproton Layer LP

                      Stevo
                      NpAmon Duul Paradieswarts Duul Snow your THurst and sun your open
                      mouth
                    • R. Lim
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 29, 2003
                        On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Stevo <stevolende@...> wrote:

                        > CONGOS Heart Of The Congos
                        > One of the essential Reggae LPs. Perry imbues the production on what
                        > otherwise would be a folk-gospel-harmony LP with so much spaciousness
                        > that it is downright psychedelic. I hear comparisons to things like

                        Hmmm, I love the production on that record, but it's really the vocals and
                        harmonies that make it so amazing (sorta like the Beach Boys, in fact-
                        Brian's amazing production doesn't detract from the fact that they're
                        showcases for the vox).

                        > UFO 2 Flying One Hour Space Rock
                        > Mogg and co playing heavy spacerock from 72. Some great wah wah and
                        > slide herein, though the rhythm section occasionally seems to drag.
                        > But I keep wondering how the original vinyl came out was it 2 sides
                        > of ½ an hour each or what? Pretty difficult to break it up otherwise

                        The original 2LP is Silver Bird/Star Storm/Prince Kajuku on one side and
                        The Coming.../Flying on the other. I don't think they had much
                        flexibility on that one...

                        > PESHAY Fusion
                        > What do you call this stuff? From this example pretty good.
                        > The most jazzy of the Metalheads back on form.
                        > Got slipped this by somebody who does the distribution.

                        I dunno, I think there was a movement to call it "intelligent drum 'n
                        bass" (probably Bukem's idea) but I prefer to think of it as "pretentious
                        wank-shite". Perhaps a derivation of tech-step (e.g. jazz-step) might be
                        more charitable, however.

                        -rob

                        --
                        Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim
                      • Jason Witherspoon
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 29, 2003
                          At 5:55 PM -0500 1/29/03, R. Lim wrote:
                          >I dunno, I think there was a movement to call it "intelligent drum 'n
                          >bass" (probably Bukem's idea) but I prefer to think of it as "pretentious
                          >wank-shite".

                          Hey Rob, this *is* the Wire list, remember? Different types of
                          silences are accorded varying merit based on their overall gestalt,
                          sheez.
                          --

                          Jason Witherspoon
                          ---------

                          "...almost any idea which jogs you out of your current abstractions
                          may be better than nothing." -- Alfred North Whitehead

                          http://www.konformist.com/911/war-is-a-racket.htm
                        • ingthibault <ingthibault@yahoo.com.au>
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 29, 2003
                            --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@a...> wrote:
                            > On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Stevo <stevolende@y...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > CONGOS Heart Of The Congos
                            > > One of the essential Reggae LPs. Perry imbues the production on what
                            > > otherwise would be a folk-gospel-harmony LP with so much spaciousness
                            > > that it is downright psychedelic. I hear comparisons to things like
                            >
                            > Hmmm, I love the production on that record, but it's really the
                            vocals and
                            > harmonies that make it so amazing (sorta like the Beach Boys, in fact-
                            > Brian's amazing production doesn't detract from the fact that they're
                            > showcases for the vox).

                            Rob, I believe it was your recommendation for this disc (a few years
                            back on this list) which led me to purchasing it. It's become one of
                            my favourite reggae discs of all time.

                            xx ingrid xx
                          • gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@yahoo.c
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 29, 2003
                              Where's M.C. Hammer? "can't touch this"

                              <stevolende@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                              > Joy Division picked up on. This is the currently out of print cd
                              with
                              > the first e.p. and VS LP on.
                              > I've read people wondering why Roger Miller got to write so many
                              > tracks since his writing style seemed less coherent than
                              Prescott's.
                              > The idea seems to be that he should have stuck to the out of left
                              > field guitar stuff and added to songs by a tunesmith instead of
                              being
                              > too Avant-garde(at least that's how I remember it).
                              > Me I Like this. Especially the elegiac stuff like Einstein's Day .
                              > Was it Chrome or Destroy All Monsters that Miller was a short-term
                              > member of? Must get hold of a copy of that Sproton Layer LP
                              >
                              > Stevo
                              > NpAmon Duul Paradieswarts Duul Snow your THurst and sun your open
                            • John Farrar
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 30, 2003
                                > CHROME The Chronicles
                                > Dossier version of the LP that came as an extra record with the
                                > original vinyl box set if I'm thinking right. This is the one with
                                > Anorexic Sacrifice and The Chronicle of the Beacon on. Heavy
                                > skronking psych metal? Dunno how this is normally classified. I'd say
                                > File Under Chrome? Or maybe Avant Garage?

                                Got the first three or four - quite a feat in the UK at the time! Great
                                stuff although seems dated now.

                                >Can't think what to say other than she's one of Jah
                                > Wobble's favs and I've been meaning to get her material for years.

                                Saw Wobble in Sheffield on Tuesday. Brilliant gig! Started off with
                                Philip Jeck who uses an old Dansette record player through various
                                sequencers. Hell of a noise - really great. Must admit I hadn't worked out
                                it was "Ode to Joy..." Then Wobble and drummer joined in. Drummer again
                                being sequenced through mixing desk. Some of the snare loops and echoes
                                were a bit ear damaging!

                                Guitar and a middle aged chap looking like a slightly lost university
                                lecturer join. The latter plays a variety of odd instruments and a flute.
                                Another joins, looking like a docker, again plays weird types of woodwinds
                                and bagpipes. Finally and ancient black trumpeter. The noise by now was
                                incredible - really wonderful. They were "Deep Space".

                                They leave the stage and Wobble, drums and guitar are joined by Molan Lao -
                                4 Laotian folk singers. So we get saucy (so I've read) Laotian/Vietnamese
                                folk songs dub stylee. Again, extraordinary mixing on vocals.

                                After their set, a 10 minute break and on comes Wobble and Deep Space again.
                                What follows is free jazz on bizarre instruments - an amazing set.

                                The encore is just Wobble and drummer in a 20 minute jam. By now all my
                                fillings have jumped out and I've got major internal bleeding from the shock
                                waves!

                                John F.
                              • Stevo <stevolende@yahoo.co.uk>
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 12, 2003
                                  QUICKSPACE The Death Of Quickspace
                                  Ragged but great krautrock influenced stuff from ex Faith healer
                                  guitarist. Noisy though melodic simultaneously.
                                  Elements here reminiscent of brit glam especially Roxy.
                                  Some real folky guitar showing through the repetition

                                  CLUSTER Zuckerzeit
                                  First Moebius/Roedelius lp to utilise steady rhythm. Sugartime?
                                  Certainly sweet use of melody though there are points where this
                                  does get maybe a tad too ambient.
                                  Wasn't expecting the use of instrumentation like guitars here since I
                                  thought they were all electronic. but this is the only thing I've
                                  had by them outside of an Eno collaboration that disappeared some
                                  years back. That was good too.

                                  DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS Searching For The Young Soul Rebels
                                  Kevin Rowland and co in docker/Northern Soul style.
                                  Always did love KR's voice and the chorus to Geno that goes on about
                                  Academic Inspiration You Gave me none strikes me strange.
                                  Multisyllabicism in pop songs whodathunkit?

                                  SMITH AND MIGHTY Life Is..
                                  Unsung ex Wild bunch bristolians in trip hop lp shocka. love the
                                  toasted track

                                  DAVID BOWIE Ziggy Stardust 30th Anniversary Reissue
                                  Grew up wiv this stuff coming in from my brother's room. Meant to
                                  pick it up for ages, (as in 2 incarnations back anyway). Just heard
                                  that this was a limited edition so grabbed it before it completely
                                  disappeared.
                                  I'm surprised by incipient appearances of sound that seems to want to
                                  be boogie or country rock. Also by the idea that acoustic plus
                                  electric guitar is somehow futruristic.
                                  Works dashed well this thing sounds both deeply of its time and
                                  timeless simultaneously

                                  PIANO MAGIC Writers Without Homes
                                  Eerie post-rock type stuff.
                                  The lyricist here's great and this features the appearance of various
                                  guest singers including Vashti Bunyan and the girls from Tarwater.
                                  I hear echoes of things like This heat in the heavy repetition. This
                                  has been said to be a letdown in relation to their other stuff. This
                                  is the only one I've heard and as such it don't seem to be. From this
                                  experience this strikes me as a band I need to check out more.

                                  ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA First Light 30th Anniversary
                                  The one lp by the ex-Move crew instead of Jeff Lynne controlled band.
                                  Wood and Bevan left, Bevan returned and Wood is apparently a
                                  contributor to ELO2.
                                  Strange sound, a rock band with strings as integrated instruments
                                  instead of mere orchestration. Wouldn't mind hearing a coupla these
                                  tracks played by a normal instrumental line up sound like a few cello
                                  parts would be great as electric leads. Omigod did sumbudy leave a
                                  muso in me?

                                  VARIOUS TROJAN Flashing Echo
                                  The Trojan dub collection tracing the evolution between Andy Capp's
                                  Pop a Top to 1980. Listening to this I hear how deeply the jazz
                                  influence comes through in the instrumentalists playing. This is
                                  mainly repetitive bass driven stuff with weird effects but the small
                                  combo jazz thing gets me. Possibly not surprising thinking about the
                                  background of some of these guys, the reform school outside of
                                  Kingston doubled as a musical education especially in jazz, possibly
                                  an attempt at actual reform –giving the players a sense of self-worth?

                                  PROCOL HARUM Classic Tracks And Rarities
                                  This too has a sense of swing. I hadn't really heard the band too
                                  much before picking this up. I did that cos Mr Mills of Shindig fame
                                  said that the SRC sounded like they were heavily influenced, that I
                                  don't see but this is great. Has the sombre stuff like Whiter Shade
                                  of Pale and Homburg alongside a lot of lighter, whimsical stuff.
                                  I've got The Paramounts cd with the cover of Mingus' The Mule which
                                  possibly makes the jazz influence less surprising. Wondering what the
                                  story is on Robin Trower since he was a Paramount and seems to be on
                                  all but a coupla tracks here.
                                  Is his solo stuff any cop?

                                  THIN WHITE ROPE Sack full Of Silver
                                  The first major label lp by Davis California twisted twin-guitar
                                  crew. Television discover the west? Black Sabbath of Americana?
                                  Whirling Dervish here is taken from a tune Guy Kyser used to hear
                                  Daffy Duck sing in early 30s cartoons.
                                  Yoo Doo Right is the Can track cut down to 6 minutes by a band that
                                  sound on first listen to come from a completely different background.
                                  Any country licks in here? On knowing their stuff they turn out to be
                                  a lot more improvisational than limited listening might reveal. If
                                  you listen to the live 'The One That Got Away' the amount they play
                                  with fixed structure shows through heavily. plus kyser's got one of
                                  the grreatest controlled feedback techniques I've ever heard, played
                                  with a thumb -pick too.
                                  On The Floe is floaty semi acoustic beatnik eistentialism.
                                  Diesel Man is downright creepy the soundtrack to a psycho conversing
                                  with an empty telephone to the sound of feedback swathes. The
                                  tunefulness of the band really shows here.

                                  ROBERTA FLACK First Take
                                  Small jazz group plus orchestration backing Flack. Pretty different
                                  to her later stuff.
                                  Nice. Her version of The First Time I Saw your face runs shivers
                                  through me. Plus she gives Leonard Cohen funky beats and gets away
                                  with it on That's No Way to Say goodbye. Wonder what the original of
                                  the Eugene Mcdaniels track sounds like since Brian Auger does it very
                                  differently.

                                  TIM BUCKLEY Return Of The Starsailor
                                  Live at Knebworth, most tasty. Love the Coltrane on guitar stylings.
                                  Wish I knew the instrumental line-up. Wish somebody'd commercially
                                  release the video this thing appears to soundtrack. I need to see
                                  this cos I can't work out why I don't hear keyboards until several
                                  tracks in.
                                  Also includes a gig from Detroit just before he died in poorer sound
                                  quality.
                                  And the Monkees version of Song To The Siren with the `Puzzled as an
                                  oyster' lyric intact.

                                  STEREOLAB Sound-Dust
                                  Bought this last year neglected it stuck it on and it's awful tuneful.
                                  Metronomic melodic mantras? Very loungey though deeply electric.
                                  Played on real instruments instead of pure moog. Presumably about the
                                  last thing by Mary Hansen apart from the side project with members of
                                  Tortoise. Last time I saw these live they were touring with Tortoise
                                  so that may have been the start of that project. Must get the Peel
                                  stuff. This shouldn't have been the first thing by them i bought.

                                  CABARET VOLTAIRE The Original Sound Of Sheffield 78/82
                                  The early stuff from the garagey new wave era including the No Escape
                                  cover.
                                  See the reissues have finally come out, must get more. Wish
                                  somebody'd bring out The Clock Dva stuff too

                                  CONGOS Heart Of The Congos
                                  Spacious dub production on folk-gospel reggae lp leads to heaven? The
                                  two voices are some of the sweetest ever and the repetition rivals
                                  Reich or Glass.

                                  HEARTS AND FLOWERS Now's The Time For Hearts And Flowers
                                  Early country rock/bluegrass stuff from 68 with great harmonies.
                                  Great versions of I Am a Lonesome fugitive and She sang hymns out of
                                  tune plus a version of Two Little Boys that retains some level of
                                  poignancy. Bernie
                                  Leadon and co on 2fer cd version of their 2 lps.This is the
                                  original two lps from the late 60s so lacks the 13 tracks of
                                  unreleased material that Collector's Choice have split across 2 discs.
                                  I've been told that stuff is straighter country.

                                  ELF POWER the winter is coming
                                  Weird noisy rock melodies from Elephant 6 stable. Bouncy Folk rock
                                  type noise with Dungeons and dragons type lyrics,there seems to be a
                                  real sense of melancholy/ennui running through this. I really like
                                  it. Something carnivalesque running throughout.

                                  SONIC MOOK EXPERIMENT "Future Rock & Roll"
                                  Blast first compi from last year including Buff Medways, Liars ,
                                  Hives etc.
                                  Eclectic Mix between Garagey rock and electronic noise stuff.
                                  The cover caused awful trouble, but everybody does it don't they?

                                  Stevo
                                  Np Quickspace A Rose
                                • franck
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 12, 2003
                                    Stevo:

                                    >PIANO MAGIC Writers Without Homes
                                    >Eerie post-rock type stuff.
                                    >The lyricist here's great and this features the appearance of various
                                    >guest singers including Vashti Bunyan and the girls from Tarwater.

                                    there is no girl in tarwater.
                                    you mean the singer from tarwater.

                                    franck
                                    --
                                    Grand Téton
                                    http://www.grand-teton.net
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 12, 2003
                                      On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Stevo <stevolende@...> wrote:

                                      > CLUSTER Zuckerzeit
                                      > [...]
                                      > Wasn't expecting the use of instrumentation like guitars here since I
                                      > thought they were all electronic. but this is the only thing I've
                                      > had by them outside of an Eno collaboration that disappeared some
                                      > years back. That was good too.

                                      The first (Cluster '71) and second (Cluster II) are stone cold classics
                                      with guitar all over 'em (though the sleeve on II doesn't show 'em, I
                                      don't think). They are a bit darker, though. I remember being
                                      disappointed by Zuckerzeit by the time I got to it, but hey- my wife is
                                      making a raspberry souffle this Friday and I ain't complaining...

                                      > CONGOS Heart Of The Congos
                                      > [...]
                                      > two voices are some of the sweetest ever and the repetition rivals
                                      > Reich or Glass.

                                      See, now you've come around...

                                      -rob

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 12, 2003
                                        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@a...> wrote:
                                        > On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Stevo <stevolende@y...> wrote:
                                        > > CONGOS Heart Of The Congos
                                        > > [...]
                                        > > two voices are some of the sweetest ever and the repetition rivals
                                        > > Reich or Glass.
                                        >
                                        > See, now you've come around...
                                        >
                                        > -rob

                                        dunno what yer talking about there. I don't think i've ever disliked
                                        that combo, I didn't really know them outside of the tracks on
                                        Arkology Ok , but I liked what I'd heard.
                                        I really ought to have had that disc for way longer ok. Was thinking
                                        that after buying it. but where I'nm suposed to've come round from i
                                        dunno.
                                        Stevo
                                        Np Nick Cave Nocturama (for the 2nd time ever)
                                      • Stevo <stevolende@yahoo.co.uk>
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 12, 2003
                                          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, franck <franck@m...> wrote:
                                          > Stevo:
                                          >
                                          > >PIANO MAGIC Writers Without Homes
                                          > >Eerie post-rock type stuff.
                                          > >The lyricist here's great and this features the appearance of
                                          various
                                          > >guest singers including Vashti Bunyan and the girls from Tarwater.
                                          > >
                                          > there is no girl in tarwater.
                                          > you mean the singer from tarwater.
                                          >

                                          > franck
                                          > --

                                          Yerah I think for some reason I was thinking TarNATION cos I've got
                                          stuff by them. I only heard who the guests were on reading a review
                                          somewhere after picking that up in a sale and thunk it was those 2.
                                          Tarwater are Swiss Electronic stuff ain't they?
                                          Stevo
                                          Np Nick Cave Rock Of Gibraltar (moon in JUne lyrics, man wot were you
                                          thinking?)
                                        • majounrecordings <cz@majoun.com>
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 12, 2003
                                            <stevolende@y...> wrote:

                                            > Tarwater are Swiss Electronic stuff ain't they?

                                            Nope, they're German, with half the Lippok bros. of To Rococo
                                            Rot fame. Electronic stuff, yes, but with a melodic
                                            post-/kraut-rock tinge.

                                            They had two or three tracks on the Wire Tappers, including the
                                            last one, with a Norwegian fairy tale read across it.

                                            Cheers,
                                            Carl
                                          • gradyfinklemyer <gradyfinklemyer@yahoo.c
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 12, 2003
                                              Where's Philemon Arthur and the Dung?

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Feb 12, 2003
                                                It's ok la', he didn't mean anything by it. Has Nurse Ratchet given
                                                you your pills today?

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Feb 13, 2003
                                                  On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Stevo <stevolende@...> wrote:

                                                  > dunno what yer talking about there. I don't think i've ever disliked
                                                  > that combo, I didn't really know them outside of the tracks on
                                                  > Arkology Ok , but I liked what I'd heard.
                                                  > I really ought to have had that disc for way longer ok. Was thinking
                                                  > that after buying it. but where I'nm suposed to've come round from i
                                                  > dunno.

                                                  Well, cos you already posted about this record. In my reply, I suggested
                                                  that you were giving the vocals a bum deal [see below]. Like I said, glad
                                                  to hear you've come around.

                                                  -rob

                                                  On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Stevo <stevolende@...> wrote:

                                                  > CONGOS Heart Of The Congos
                                                  > One of the essential Reggae LPs. Perry imbues the production on what
                                                  > otherwise would be a folk-gospel-harmony LP with so much spaciousness
                                                  > that it is downright psychedelic. I hear comparisons to things like

                                                  Hmmm, I love the production on that record, but it's really the vocals and
                                                  harmonies that make it so amazing (sorta like the Beach Boys, in fact-
                                                  Brian's amazing production doesn't detract from the fact that they're
                                                  showcases for the vox).

                                                  --
                                                  Janitor From Mars archives and more @ http://www.wfmu.org/~rlim
                                                • Stevo
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 6, 2003
                                                    in the bag

                                                    Alain Stivell Best of
                                                    Breton pipist/harpist meets rocky folk
                                                    Mainly taken from his early 70s stuff.
                                                    The live Olympia material really grabs my attention, truly beautiful
                                                    stuff.
                                                    Looks like a lot of his early lps have seen cd reissue over the last
                                                    couple of years. Think I might investigate further.
                                                    Also particularly like the round Ne bado Ket Atao,it seems familiar
                                                    was it used anywhere else?
                                                    I think the '98 track based around a remix of Pop Plinn works pretty
                                                    well, I can see that a lot of people wouldn't though.

                                                    Cedric Im Brooks & The Light of SAba
                                                    Honest Jon's label compi of Jamaican saxophonist's band from the mid
                                                    70s.
                                                    Shows the guy's eclectic tastes
                                                    he'd been with the Skatalites, nearly joined the Sun Ra Arkestra but
                                                    had been called back to JA by the birth of his 2nd daughter.
                                                    This is mainly based around Nyabinghi rhythms with some pretty tasty
                                                    guitar and horn stuff over it. Dashed sublime for the most part, dunno
                                                    about the ventures into disco though.

                                                    Small Faces Darlings of THe Whapping Wharf Launderette
                                                    The Immediate era compi. Today I listened to disc 2 which covers the
                                                    2nd
                                                    half of Ogden's plus some of the singles I had on the vinyl lp of the
                                                    same name plus the harder rocky stuff that was on There are But Four
                                                    Small Faces.
                                                    Some of this stuff shows the earlier rawer influences that were so
                                                    influential on the NYC and London punk scenes several years later.
                                                    Others have the presence of Stanley Unwin to baffle and enjoy.
                                                    I've just found there's a new book out on The Faces, the band they
                                                    developed into once Steve Marriott left. Is it worth reading?

                                                    Nina Simone Sugar In My Bowl.
                                                    2cd compi of her late 60s/early 70s stuff.
                                                    She covers a lot of white singer songwriter stuff in her own more
                                                    soulful jazz style. The title is euphemistic and some of the material
                                                    here is downright horny.

                                                    Birthday Party Live 81-82
                                                    Two peak performances by the majorly raw early 80s Aussie combo.
                                                    One with and one without eclectic drummer Philllll Calvert.
                                                    Not mixed to their faults as Drunk on THe Pope's Blood was.
                                                    Also features their cover of Funhouse live in Greece with Jim Foetus
                                                    Thirlwell on sax. Did you know that the Stooges were 'from Italy'?

                                                    Associates Fourth Drawer Down
                                                    Compilation of a set of singles released over '81.
                                                    Shows the band's krautrock influences along with their heavy debt to
                                                    Bowie's 70s work. Dark psychedelia?
                                                    Rankine's multi instrumentalism shares equal space with Billy
                                                    Mckenzie's Helium Scott walker voice . yum

                                                    Stevo
                                                    Np Alain Stivell Let The Plinn
                                                  • Stevo
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 17, 2004
                                                      recent listening
                                                      STONE BREATH
                                                      Mostly acoustic medieval influenced folk stuff from the wyrd folk
                                                      geezer and crew. Has a pretty deeply rearranged version of tHird Ear
                                                      Band's fleance from the macbeth soundtrack but I guess the
                                                      instrumental line up ain't the same anyway.
                                                      I think this is growing on me, I wasn't sure about it at first.
                                                      How does In Gowan Ring compare?

                                                      CLUSTER II
                                                      Deep space drones from the then newly 2 piece electronic band.
                                                      I wish they had the instrumentation listed here. I can't tell what's
                                                      what in terms of what is and isn't electronic. The first lp could be
                                                      fuzzboxed cellos from what I can hear.

                                                      ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN Crocodiles
                                                      First lp by liverpool nouveau psych types. Remastering noticeably
                                                      improves the sound.
                                                      Far easier to hear Will Sergeant's minimalist guitar stylings now.
                                                      plus several extra tracks including the '81 live ep with Do It Clean
                                                      etc

                                                      HELDON Un Reve Sans Consequence Speciale
                                                      Very dark Red era Crimson like instrumentals played by French
                                                      avantgarde pre-punks.
                                                      Picked this up from the RER sale before Xmas, wish I'd grabbed some
                                                      of the other stuff there. Is the first Steve Tibbets any cop? I
                                                      missed the 4th item in my ordef Magic Power Mako's Blue Dot. Should I
                                                      be devastated?

                                                      TIM HARDIN Hang onto a Dream
                                                      The 2cd Verve compi. I was surprised by the amount of r'n'b in the
                                                      sound. And by his voice, I'm reminded of Roland Gift for some reason
                                                      but can see how well he would have fitted with Can. I wonder if the
                                                      collaboration was recorded

                                                      HERBIE HANCOCK Crossings
                                                      Supposedly most 'out' of the Mwandishi era stuff. The liner notes
                                                      claim they were infected by the influence of Sun Ra, doesn't quite
                                                      have the techno tropical storm elements of Sextant but it sho is fine

                                                      TANGERINE DREAM Electronic meditation
                                                      Sole lp by this line up. Deep space music made with cellos?
                                                      I've just been told elsewhere that this is horrid and the later post-
                                                      Phaedra stuff is the biz. Funny how disparate people's taste can be
                                                      innit?
                                                      The sound is noticeably better than the Jive Electro version I had
                                                      before this. You can now hear what's going on more than just the
                                                      atmosphere.

                                                      MIGHTY BABY
                                                      The ex Action as a Uk Grateful Dead?
                                                      I always thought they had a muscular rhythm section, here they have
                                                      new lead instrument players and stretch out pretty good.

                                                      AGITATION FREE 2nd
                                                      Instrumental stuff by German impro psych band. This gets compared to
                                                      the Grateful Dead which I don't think is really too exact.
                                                      The vocals on the last couple of tracks seem to havve been where
                                                      David Tibet got his schtick from

                                                      JESSAMINE The Long Arm of Coincidence
                                                      late 90s drone rock psych stuff the instrumental sections are pretty
                                                      spacey. Like swimming in marshmallow or something on occasion

                                                      DUNCAN BROWNE Give me Take You
                                                      Orchestral folkie type stuff. Pretty similar in [places to the
                                                      original Nirvana. Very nice guitar and there's something pretty
                                                      intimate about his voice.
                                                      I hear trhis uis about the only thing he did in this style, what's
                                                      the rest of his stuff like?

                                                      PFM Storia di un minuto
                                                      THe first lp by Italian prog band in its Italian versionm I picked
                                                      this up from the BTF website several months back after hearing they
                                                      were worth a check. It took me a few listens tio reallyt get intoi it.
                                                      Its pretty epic and the opera singing of the scale sounds downright
                                                      ludicrous at first.
                                                      I heard that Jello Biafra was into these before forming the DEad
                                                      Kennedys sounds like a weird juxtaposition.
                                                      I've now got to wade through the rest of the genre trying to find
                                                      out what's what. That BTf site looks pretty good though
                                                      http://www.btf.it/prog/index.htm

                                                      ZOMBIES Odessey And Oracle
                                                      30th anniversary version with both stereo and mono versions of the
                                                      lp. I first bought this in the lp version with the dodgy Gothic sleve
                                                      about 20 years back. I think i was looking for an lp that sounded
                                                      like Time of the Season, I didn't get that, this is a bit more twee
                                                      and orchestral. I traded that copy in I can listen to this now and
                                                      enjoy it. I think I may prefer the earlier r'n'b/jazz stuff overall
                                                      though

                                                      CURTIS MAYFIELD roots
                                                      Surprisingly spacey stuff from soul legend.
                                                      especially where the moog interacts with his guitar
                                                      I think Hendrix picked up a few elements of his style didn't he?
                                                      THis is the old charly version, cos I found it dead cheap. There's
                                                      been a more recent Rhino version with added tracks, am I missing much?

                                                      LA REVOLUTION DE EMILIANO ZAPATA
                                                      Surprisingly garagey sounding stuff from '72 mexico.
                                                      I find both these and the canadian Bent Wind seem to take a near brit
                                                      invasion influence and stretch out the guitar etc a bit.
                                                      Dashed heavy in places methinks

                                                      RANDY HOLDEN population II
                                                      the archetypal stoner lp?
                                                      as the title impliers the band consists of 2 people. Randy n guitar
                                                      amnd the ex Kak drummer.

                                                      SCIENTIST Rids The World Of The Curse Of The Vampires
                                                      Surprisingly early reggae/ska sound to this lp. Still really
                                                      floorshakingly heavy

                                                      THE FUGS 2nd lp
                                                      I thought this band was notoriously inept musically. This sounds like
                                                      pretty well played garagey bluesy stuff with intelligently dumb
                                                      lyrics over it. Most reccommended. I sjhoulda had this years back.
                                                      Shanme that the later stuff is only available in majorly expensive
                                                      form on Rhino Handmade

                                                      SUICIDE
                                                      This is the blast First version of the '81 Alan Vega/Martin Rev lp
                                                      with a different sleeve plus the DReam Baby Dream/Radiation single
                                                      plus some '75 demos.
                                                      I think this is awesome, I think I used to listen to the vynil of
                                                      this much more than the first one.
                                                      In '75 Vega's voice was different or is it the equipment?
                                                      Rev seems to have much the same style but more primitive equipment

                                                      MATCHING MOLE
                                                      Is this the last lp that Robert Wyatt cut before the accident?
                                                      I love the long instrumental passages & Signed Curtain has a set of
                                                      very surreal lyrics. Wyatt's voice may take a bit of getting used to
                                                      he sings in a different range than most conventional rock artists.
                                                      I think I'm getting into various bits of prog , i'm just looking for
                                                      something else as good as this or P.F.M. that doesn't vanish straight
                                                      up its own backside.

                                                      KIng TUBBY dub like dirt
                                                      compilation of osbourne Ruddock's '75 -'78 productions.
                                                      most heavy, most good.
                                                      Featuring early appearances by the likes of Sly & Robbie, and some
                                                      brainsearing sound manipulation. Maybe the Universe of
                                                      Sound was that shape to begin with, under the hands of KIng
                                                      Tubby you begin to wonder.
                                                    • A.S. Van Dorston
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 17, 2004
                                                        Roots reissue only has a few single edits, but it's only $6.99 at Djangos:

                                                        8. Underground [*][Demo Version]
                                                        9. Get Down [Single Version][*]
                                                        10. We Got to Have Peace [Single Version][*]
                                                        11. Beautiful Brother of Mine [Single Version][*]

                                                        His first album, Curtis, however, is essential. Here's the extras:

                                                        9. Power to the People [*] [Demo] [#][*][Demo Version]
                                                        10. Underground [*] [Demo] [*][Demo Version]
                                                        11. Ghetto Child [*] [Demo] [#][*][Demo Version]
                                                        12. Readings in Astrology [*] [Demo] [*][Demo Version]
                                                        13. Suffer [*] [Demo] [*][Demo Version]
                                                        14. Miss Black America [*] [Demo] [#][*][Demo Version]
                                                        15. Makings of You [*] [Backing Tracks, Take 32] [#][*]
                                                        16. (Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go [*] [Backi
                                                        17. (Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go [*] [Edite

                                                        And I'm just assuming you have the double disc version of Superfly, (#31 on
                                                        my all-time list http://www.fastnbulbous.com/best_since_1965.htm). Another
                                                        great disc is Curtis/Live!, available at BMG even. It's him with a very
                                                        tight band at NY's Bitter End in January 1971 (with updates of some
                                                        Impressions songs too).

                                                        At 01:55 PM 1/17/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                                                        >CURTIS MAYFIELD roots
                                                        >Surprisingly spacey stuff from soul legend.
                                                        >especially where the moog interacts with his guitar
                                                        >I think Hendrix picked up a few elements of his style didn't he?
                                                        >THis is the old charly version, cos I found it dead cheap. There's
                                                        >been a more recent Rhino version with added tracks, am I missing much?

                                                        Fast 'n' Bulbous Music Webzine
                                                        www.fastnbulbous.com

                                                      • Stevo
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jan 17, 2004
                                                          --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, "A.S. Van Dorston" <anthony@f...>
                                                          wrote:
                                                          >> And I'm just assuming you have the double disc version of
                                                          Superfly,

                                                          yup picked it up in Dublin a while back. Pretty tasty innit?

                                                          (#31 on > my all-time list
                                                          http://www.fastnbulbous.com/best_since_1965.htm). Another
                                                          > great disc is Curtis/Live!, available at BMG even. It's him with a
                                                          very
                                                          > tight band at NY's Bitter End in January 1971 (with updates of some
                                                          > Impressions songs too).

                                                          Was looking at this before Xmas since it turned up locally. I used
                                                          to have it but had a box of cds nicked a few years back. I know it
                                                          has some pretty col stuff on it. I guess I shoulda grabbed it, just
                                                          didn't want to overspend just before heading to LOndon to overspend.
                                                          I think i'll grab it if I see iut again
                                                          Stevo
                                                        • michael jackson
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jan 17, 2004

                                                            >MATCHING MOLE
                                                            >Is this the last lp that Robert Wyatt cut before the accident?

                                                            I believe that MMs "Little Red Record" was his last as a drummer which in my
                                                            opinion is even better than the first.
                                                            michael

                                                            Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
                                                          • A.S. Van Dorston
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jan 17, 2004
                                                              Exuma The Obeah Man, Exuma (Mercury) 1970 - Reissue just came out!
                                                              Born McFarlane Anthony McKay on Cat Island in the Bahamas, raised on
                                                              junkanoo, a West-African based Bahamian folk version of Calypso, he began
                                                              performing in the sixties New York folk scene after dropping out of
                                                              architecture school. Influenced by the politics of the Black power
                                                              movement, Hendrix and Sly Stone, McKay soon took on the name Exuma the
                                                              Obeah Man, an Afro-Caribbean version of Haiti's Vodun lwa, Baron Samedi, a
                                                              spirit balanced between the worlds of the living and the dead. Exuma The
                                                              Obeah Man, Exuma II (1970), Do Wah Nanny (1971) and Snake (1972)
                                                              brilliantly mixed shamanistic lyrics with Afro-Caribbean rhythms, folk,
                                                              rock and protest. Neither Mercury Records nor Kama Sutra had any idea how
                                                              to market his records.

                                                              From Perfect Sound Forever:

                                                              quote:

                                                              On the first album of Exuma (called Exuma, but subtitled "Fire") you hear a
                                                              wolf's howl, acoustic guitar, bongos and bells. Then a gravelly voice sings:

                                                              "I came down on a lightning bolt
                                                              Nine months in my Mama's belly.
                                                              When I was born, the midwife scream and shout,
                                                              I had fire crystals coming out of my mouth.
                                                              I'm Exuma, I'm the Obeah Man!"

                                                              The lyrics get even more colorful after this, if you can believe it. He
                                                              makes mention of walking with Charon (the ferryman at the River Styx) and
                                                              Hector Hippolyte (artist and Voodoo priest). The backing vocals are
                                                              dolorous and chant-like; there are bird calls and the whole affair ends
                                                              with a sonic boom.

                                                              Then, the SECOND song starts up!

                                                              This was 1970. The Guess Who were angering certain people with their song,
                                                              "American Woman", which some took to be anti-patriotic, so one can only
                                                              gather what the reaction to this album would have engendered among the same
                                                              factions.

                                                              One track, "S9ance in the Sixth Fret," is exactly that; a s9ance. While
                                                              "Black Mass" by Lucifer (Mort Garson) has a simulation of a s9ance on it,
                                                              the listener can become detached, as the album is played entirely on
                                                              synthesizer. This doesn't feel simulated (there is musical backing, but the
                                                              words are prose, not poetry), even if no dead people spoke to anyone
                                                              involved with the record. He calls out the names of three deceased people
                                                              and there are sound effects; not quite a field recording, nor does it have
                                                              the feel of an Andy Hardy musical in which Mickey Rooney turns to Judy
                                                              Garland, and says "Hey, let's put on a s9ance!"

                                                              The illustrations on the album are also rather odd. An anguished face on
                                                              the cover, the foldout picture features two white, silhouetted profiles
                                                              looking in opposite directions, reminiscent of the Greek God Janus, with
                                                              two wings behind it. The back cover features a butterfly, whose wings
                                                              feature two sets of eyes, one set eerily reminiscent of the eyes of the
                                                              anguished face on the front cover!

                                                              There are no photos of his accompanists, named the "Junk Band." The
                                                              personnel is semi-shrouded in pseudonym (not unlike Captain Beefheart's
                                                              Trout Mask Replica album or, for that matter, Dr. John's Gumbo album).

                                                              The Homosexuals, The Homosexuals' CD (ReR) 1978-81 - Reissue came out this week
                                                              Formed from the raggedy remnants of the Rejects (who played with Damned,
                                                              The Jam and Wire in early '77), The Homosexuals were smart, raw and
                                                              confrontational (with great song titles, like "Technique Street," "Soft
                                                              South Africans," "Neutron Lover." The album wasn't released until 1984, and
                                                              even then it was a rare item. As a result, collector geeks inflated its
                                                              status as some sort of avant-punk holy grail, and The Wire included it in
                                                              its "100 Records That Set The World On Fire (while no one was listening)"
                                                              feature (anyone have the whole article online anymore?). It's not all that,
                                                              but is great fun.