trance again

  • James Maiden
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
      Hi again

      Just wanted to point out that i would be gald to recieve trance information on genres way outside of the world traditions i mentioned. For instance an area i know little about but would be interested in is trance in electronic music.

      Just anything vaguely trance so i can get a good background to start from.

      Cheers

      James

      Check it out...
      The latest news and original tracks from Moonlight & Transistors
      The album by James Maiden

      http://www.mp3.com/James_Maiden

      Veinmelterspacejazz - Adventures in Modern Music
      at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veinmelterspacejazz

    • Marc Weidenbaum
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
        There's a lot of books out about the electronic variety of trance, ranging
        from first-person memoir, to academic-press essay collections, to full-on
        theory/musicological tomes. A search for the word "trance" or "ecstasy" on
        Amazon.com will bring up a wide selection. If I can think of a particular
        one worth starting off with, I'll write back.

        For a more general, culture-spanning take, Gilbert Rouget's book, Music and
        Trance: A Theory of Relations between Music and Possession, has been highly
        recommended to me on several occasions -- by music educators and by
        autodidact DJs -- but I've only scanned it a few times while at the
        library. An English translation was published in 1985 by University of
        Chicago Press, but I'm not sure when the original, French, edition came
        out. But, in any case, Rouget was involved in the translation, as far as I
        understand.

        Marc

        At 02:43 PM 7/5/2002 +0100, James Maiden wrote:
        >Hi again
        >
        >Just wanted to point out that i would be gald to recieve trance
        >information on genres way outside of the world traditions i
        >mentioned. For instance an area i know little about but would be
        >interested in is trance in electronic music.
        >
        >Just anything vaguely trance so i can get a good background to start from.
        >
        >Cheers
        >
        >James
        >

        >Check it out...
        >The latest news and original tracks from Moonlight & Transistors
        >The album by James Maiden
        >
        >http://www.mp3.com/James_Maiden
        >
        >Veinmelterspacejazz - Adventures in Modern Music
        >at
        >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/veinmelterspacejazz

        >TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

        - - -
        Marc Weidenbaum
        www.disquiet.com
      • stevolende
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2002
          --- In thewire@y..., "James Maiden" <jam1977@b...> wrote:
          > Hi again
          >
          > Just wanted to point out that i would be gald to recieve trance
          information on genres way outside of the world traditions i
          mentioned. For instance an area i know little about but would be
          interested in is trance in electronic music.

          I meant to respond to this when I first saw it.
          since I was thinking about something along these lines
          in tandem with that stoner stuff.

          the Stooges talked about the O-mind, which was pretty much a trance
          state as far as I can work out.
          I think it was a state of emptying the mind of conscious thought so
          that the player was in constant respond mode.
          From what I understand its a form of meditation.
          -the stoner thing -I wondered if that O-mind thing was taken up by
          any other bands playing in the sludge area. It seems one of the most
          likely musics to crossover with the use of trance

          Can seem to have been thinking along the same lines in their idea of
          being able to improvise off any stimulus.
          at least thats what I take from having read Irmin Schmidt talking
          about pretty much watching himself play.
          and Holger Czukay's coming off stage and taking a long time to return
          to normal would suggest the same thing
          The same with AMM -the crypt booklet says something about the
          commentator trying to work out where a certain noise was coming from
          then being deeply surprised when he found out it was himself.
          I haven't read that booklet in several years but I'm pretty sure
          thats in there.
          What about the Grateful Dead? somebody said something last yeare
          about the players needing a 'comedown' trailer for returning from the
          state they'd reached through playing onstage

          Also MIke Gira at the time of the recordings on the recently released
          Feel Good Now was continually talking about trying to put himself in
          trance like states.
          -that was his given reason for rolling around onstage in what looked
          like diapers.
          I think that 20m inute SEx God Sex might be a good illustration of
          that era.
          there must be several jazz players along the same lines of trying to
          achieve trance states.
          John Coltrane at the time he was playing hour long versions of My
          Favourite things?
          Stevo
          Np Kyuss 800