Trance

  • maidenator
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5 6:38 AM
      Hi

      Just wondering if anyone has any information, good books, journals
      or web sites on trance music. I'm really talking about some of the
      religious, ritual based music from around the world. Qawali,
      Voodu, Possession rites e.t.c. but am interested in any document
      that goes into the musical techniques that allow people to attain
      these states (Repetion, loops). I was even thinking that some
      areas of Coltrane's music and other ecstatic jazz fit into this
      category. It is groundwork for a dissertation i'm writing so
      literally any suggestions or ideas will be welcomed.

      Thanks

      James Maiden
    • jonbeds@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5 9:22 AM
        Hello James

        > Just wondering if anyone has any information, good books, journals
        > or web sites on trance music. I'm really talking about some of the
        > religious, ritual based music from around the world. Qawali,
        > Voodu, Possession rites e.t.c. but am interested in any document
        > that goes into the musical techniques that allow people to attain
        > these states (Repetion, loops). I was even thinking that some
        > areas of Coltrane's music and other ecstatic jazz fit into this
        > category. It is groundwork for a dissertation i'm writing so
        > literally any suggestions or ideas will be welcomed.
        >
        > Thanks

        Well, you could try Peter Michael Hamel's Book 'Through Music to the Self'.
        This book contains lots of stuff about the spiritual significance of all
        sorts of music, including early electronic music (he was writing in the 70s).
        Its a great read and contains some very intersting insights. Rigourous but
        not to dry and academic. I thoroughly recommend you get it. I think its
        recently been republished.

        Jon

      • gradyfinklemyer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5 9:44 PM
          Is this the same person who was in Between, and put out some Terry
          Riley-influenced records on Celestial Harmonies, such as Bardo?

          --- In thewire@y..., jonbeds@a... wrote:
          > Hello James
          >
          > > Just wondering if anyone has any information, good books,
          journals
          > > or web sites on trance music. I'm really talking about some of
          the
          > > religious, ritual based music from around the world. Qawali,
          > > Voodu, Possession rites e.t.c. but am interested in any document
          > > that goes into the musical techniques that allow people to attain
          > > these states (Repetion, loops). I was even thinking that some
          > > areas of Coltrane's music and other ecstatic jazz fit into this
          > > category. It is groundwork for a dissertation i'm writing so
          > > literally any suggestions or ideas will be welcomed.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          >
          > Well, you could try Peter Michael Hamel's Book 'Through Music to
          the Self'.
          > This book contains lots of stuff about the spiritual significance
          of all
          > sorts of music, including early electronic music (he was writing in
          the 70s).
          > Its a great read and contains some very intersting insights.
          Rigourous but
          > not to dry and academic. I thoroughly recommend you get it. I think
          its
          > recently been republished.
          >
          > Jon

        • chux
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5 9:54 PM
            > Is this the same person who was in Between, and put out some Terry
            >Riley-influenced records on Celestial Harmonies, such as Bardo?

            Presumably you mean PM Hamel? If you don't already know the answer
            then why not try a search on Google?

            vom
            --

            "meaning is the illusion of experience"
          • jonbeds@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6 6:40 AM
              Hello

              Regarding Peter Michael Hamel

              > Is this the same person who was in Between, and put out some Terry
              > Riley-influenced records on Celestial Harmonies, such as Bardo?

              Well, yes to first, and erm, i dont know to the rest!

              Jon