Re: [thewire] stoner rock

  • Mark Emsley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
      i have to say Queens of the Stoneage on Glasto TV coverage yesterday were
      absolutely stunning .. very refreshing in comparison to everything else on
      offer (Rod S .. yuck ) - will have to invest in their stuff ..

      one that always does the trick for me ..

      mindfunk - dropped (music for nations) - glorious swirling all embracing
      rock epics ..

      over and out
      mark e
      www.ireallylovemusic.co.uik

      "stevolende"
      <stevolende@ya To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
      hoo.co.uk> cc:
      Subject: [thewire] stoner rock
      01/07/02 15:05
      Please respond
      to thewire

      somebody sent me this on shindig list i thought people here might be
      interested.
      what do you think?
      anybody you'd add/subtract

      I think Black Sabbath was already discussed -which is why its missing.
      up to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath d'you reckon? or beyond?

      "Guess that would be my cue to share my stoner rock knowledge. OK,
      here's something I wrote under an alter-ego for another discussion
      group of stuff that comes off the top of my head as the best of the
      sludge metal/stoner rock genre:

      BANG: Bang (1972), Mother/Bow to the King (1972)
      BLOODROCK: Bloodrock (1969)
      FUSE: Fuse (1969) [just reissued on Rewind]
      TIN HOUSE: Tin House (1970)
      CAPTAIN BEYOND: Captain Beyond (1972)
      CAIN: A Pound of Flesh (1975), Stinger (1977)
      TRUTH AND JANEY: No Rest for the Wicked (1976)
      HIGH TIDE: Sea Shanties (1969)
      FRIJID PINK: Frijid Pink (1970), Defrosted (1970) [avoid their other
      two horrible albums!]
      HIGHWAY ROBBERY: For Love or Money (1972) [Collectables just reissued
      this on CD!]
      GRANICUS: Granicus (1973)
      URSA MAJOR: Ursa Major (1971) ['nother Collectables reissue]
      BUFFALO: Volcanic Rock (1973)
      RANDY HOLDEN: Population II (1970)
      KING PING MEH: King Ping Meh (1972)
      NITZINGER: Nitzinger (1972), One Foot In History (1973)
      CHICKEN SHACK: Imagination Lady (1971)
      EUCLID: Heavy Equipment (1970)
      THE PINK FAIRIES: Kings of Oblivion (1973)
      TIGER B. SMITH: Tiger Rock (1972), We're the Tiger Bunch (1974)
      MOXY: Moxy (1976), Moxy II (1976), Ridin' High (1977)
      LEFT END: Spoiled Rotten (1974)
      DAMNATION OF ADAM BLESSING: Damnation of Adam Blessing (1969), Second
      Damnation (1970) [avoid the shit-sounding Akarma box]
      HAYSTACKS BALBOA: Haystacks Balboa (1970)
      ZIPPER: Zipper (1975)
      STRAY DOG: Stray Dog (1973)
      HARD STUFF: Bulletproof (1972)
      WARHORSE: Warhorse (1970)
      SILVERHEAD: Silverhead (1972), 16 and Savaged (1973)
      BOW WOW: Signal Fire (1975)
      DIRTY TRICKS: Dirty Tricks (1975)
      STRAY: Stray (1970)
      BUDGIE: First five albums
      TROYKA: same (1970)
      TOAD: same (1970), Tomorrow Blue (1972)
      MOSES: Changes (1971)
      HEAD OVER HEELS: same (1971)
      COLOURED BALLS: Ball Power! (1973) [avoid all other LPs by them]
      THE LITTER: Emerge (1969)
      ARMAGEDDON: same (1975) [read the tag-team history I did with Will
      Shade in the upcoming issue of Ugly Things]
      HOT TUNA: Yellow Fever (1975) [their foray into hard rock lasted one
      record, but it's great]
      REO SPEEDWAGON: REO Two (1972) [yes, I know what they became, but
      this
      is a great psychedelic hard rock record, so screw you if you can't
      get
      past the name; it's your loss.]
      SIR LORD BALTIMORE: Kingdom Come (1970), same (1971) [my all-time
      favorite band]
      DUST: same (1971), Hard Attack (1972) [contrary to punk elitist rock
      critic myth, Mark Bell (Ramone) is proud of these records, as an
      interview I did with him revealed; great NYC power trio!]

      And as far as modern bands, I'd recommend:
      QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE: same (1998) [best album of 1998, SOOL
      included!]
      SAINT VITUS: V (1989), Heavier Than Thou (1991)
      TROUBLE: Trouble (1990), Manic Frustration (1992), Plastic Green Head
      (1995) [they generally don't mess with cover material, but the last
      one has great heavy rock versions of "The Porpoise Song"
      and "Tomorrow
      Never Knows," to connect it to Shindig a little]
      SLEEP: Sleep's Holy Mountain (1994)
      KYUSS: Blues for the Red Sun (1992), Welcome to Sky Valley (1994)
      [not
      nearly as good as their cult following will tell you, but a cool band
      on these two records, though not their other two albums, which are
      uneven]

      I'm sure I've missed a few since my record/CD collection ain't in
      front of me, but you get the idea.

      Doug"
      and somebody added these on mikewatt

      Andromeda
      The Obsessed
      Flower Travellin band
      Blue Cheer
      Spirit Caravan
      Pentagram
      Cactus
      High on Fire
      Atomic Rooster..
      and somebody else added these on shindig
      ELIAS HULK: "Unchained" (heavy rock with some blues-y moments all
      served up
      tho' with a generous dose of psychedelic flourishes)
      ICECROSS: "S/t" (Icelandic lunacy with some of the most twisted
      lyrics : see
      "Jesus Freaks")
      PENTAGRAM: First Daze Here: (Compilation that unfortunately has
      overdubs on
      "Lazy lady" and "Be Forewarned" (why DO bands do this ?), but gathers
      together most of the recordings of the same four-piece line up that
      was the
      Macabre)
      JOSEPHUS: DeadMan (I read something online about a new compilation of
      out-takes and alternate takes coming out - anyone know more about
      this ?)
      LEAFHOUND: Growers Of Mushroom (Grand heaviosity from ex- Black Cat
      Bones)

      On the topic of new "Stoner" bands, two I'd heartily recommend
      to 'Diggers
      with a heavier bent are:
      THE WELLWATER CONSPIRACY: Not really very heavy and increasingly less
      psychedelic as they go on, but John McBain (ex-Monster Magnet) and
      Matt
      Cameron(ex-Soundgarden) have thus far put out three LPs that run the
      gamut
      of experimental home recording
      DEAD MEADOW: I only own their self-titled debut and really want to
      track
      down their second "Howls From The Hills", but they sound ridiculously
      authentic for a quasi-trippy early 70s "heavy" band, considering that
      they're all whippersnappers coming from the home of Dischord, DC.
      GO Go"

      Stevo
      Np Warhorse As Heaven Turns to Ash Every Flower Dies...

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      [IMAGE]

      TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

    • gradyfinklemyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        where's Stryper?

        --- In thewire@y..., "stevolende" <stevolende@y...> wrote:
> [...]
        > THE WELLWATER CONSPIRACY: Not really very heavy and increasingly
        less
        > psychedelic as they go on, but John McBain (ex-Monster Magnet) and
        > Matt
        > Cameron(ex-Soundgarden) have thus far put out three LPs that run
        the
        > gamut
        > of experimental home recording
        > DEAD MEADOW: I only own their self-titled debut and really want to
        > track
        > down their second "Howls From The Hills", but they sound
        ridiculously
        > authentic for a quasi-trippy early 70s "heavy" band, considering
        that
        > they're all whippersnappers coming from the home of Dischord, DC.
        > GO Go"
        >
        > Stevo
        > Np Warhorse As Heaven Turns to Ash Every Flower Dies...
      • Perfect Sound Forever
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
          The best I've heard recently is Nebula who just came out

          with a comp called Dos EPs (on Meteor City).

          A hell of lot better than High On Fire, IMHO.

          Anyone who's interested in the older stuff will be glad to hear that the
          two Dust albums have just been reissued (featuring Marky Ramone on drums
          but definitely not sounding like the Ramones).

          Best,
          Jason
          --
          Perfect Sound Forever