Download Sources?

  • fracturedmusic
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 10, 2002
      Ok to say that I don't miss Napster is an understatement. Does
      anybody know of a good place to download what we shall call "Wire,"
      type stuff? When Napster was running I was able to find almost
      anything written up in the wire. Plus I was able to delve into the
      impossible to find FAX records back catalog. Everything from rare
      Stockhausen too everyone's current love/gripe DJ Shadow. Mego, Fat
      Cat and other `lectronic labels. I have downloaded Grokster and it
      is so woefully inadequate. I hardly can find most current mainstream
      stuff.
      Now before you all get high and mighty on me. I've worked in music
      retail for over twenty years. I think I'm pretty good at hunting
      down the rarities and limited editions. Plus I make good use of
      Forced Exposure and other outlets we all count on. My main reason
      for Napster was listening to things I was interested in and stuff.
      For the most part I would then hunt the music/etc down. Though I
      won't lie some stuff I was happy to just have the ones and zeros.

      So does anyone have any ideas? I thought Grokster was part of the
      Morpheus network. If this is so it is a poor excuse for Napster. I'm
      so lost right now and need that intravenous feed of the challenging.
      Beside the fact that I need to find that Conant project again. With
      the mention in the Wire this month and Wilco talking about how it
      influenced Yankee Foxtrot. I know, I know put one radio sample of
      someone saying "Yankee, foxtrot, hotel" and suddenly your avant-
      garde.

      Regards
      Varjak
      Fractured
    • mIEKAL aND
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 10, 2002
        I get a pile of stuff on Dreambeat & Limewire, tho sometimes they are a
        little thin on "Wired type stuff", not too much contemporary avant garde...
        been getting a lot of godspeed live bootlegs lately... mIEKAL

        fracturedmusic wrote:

        > Ok to say that I don't miss Napster is an understatement. Does
        > anybody know of a good place to download what we shall call "Wire,"
        > type stuff?
      • mIEKAL aND
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 10, 2002
          SORRY, HALF ASLEEP HERE, MEANT TO TYPE DRUMBEAT (www.drumbeat.info) ~ m

          mIEKAL aND wrote:

          > I get a pile of stuff on Dreambeat & Limewire, tho sometimes they are a
          > little thin on "Wired type stuff", not too much contemporary avant garde...
          > been getting a lot of godspeed live bootlegs lately... mIEKAL
          >
          > fracturedmusic wrote:
          >
          > > Ok to say that I don't miss Napster is an understatement. Does
          > > anybody know of a good place to download what we shall call "Wire,"
          > > type stuff?

        • Davis Ford
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 10, 2002
            Wilco was in the wire? Hmm. I've always been a fan
            of Wilco, but never thought the wire would put them in
            there. I think you meant the CONET project, right? I
            have it on mp3 archived somewhere on cd. It's not
            worth more than a listen.

            As far as mp3 sources - I've been downloading mp3
            binaries from USENET for years. It is consistently
            the best source, as well as the fact that it's a
            distributed system and can't be shutdown by the RIAA.

            Here are the quick and easy steps:

            1. Get yourself a copy of Forte Agent Newsreader Full
            Version either legally or illegally.
            2. Sign up for Giganews (www.giganews.com). There are
            other providers but I've been happy with them. It's a
            pay service. I pay something like $12/month.
            3. Go to the alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.* groups. The
            best stuff you'll find in the jazz group, the decades
            groups, the main group, metal group, goth group, rap
            group, dance group, oh yeah alt.binaries.phonecards
            for dark ambient.

            You can pretty much get anything you want from USENET,
            and most of the time I download stuff I've never heard
            and I am pleasantly surprised. I've found a lot of
            great stuff there. I pretty much completed the whole
            Sun Ra catalog (all Saturn label rarities included) on
            there. It's definitely the place to go for rare /
            excellent jazz. The jazz group suffers from the split
            personality of those posting Mannheim Steamroller vs.
            those posting Albert Ayler. All your electronic
            artists are covered as well. Quite regularly you'll
            find posts covering the Force Inc., Detroit techno
            labels, mego, whatever, etc... I also acquired a huge
            chunk of the FAX catalog through USENET.

            Aside from that, there are a number of private ftp
            servers that cater to this, but you have to be
            invited. I don't run one, sorry.

            davis

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • Matthew Stephan
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 10, 2002
              check out www.audiogalaxy.com , i've found plenty of rarities

              >From: "fracturedmusic" <fracturedmusic@...>
              >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [thewire] Download Sources?
              >Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 03:57:16 -0000
              >
              >Ok to say that I don't miss Napster is an understatement. Does
              >anybody know of a good place to download what we shall call "Wire,"
              >type stuff? When Napster was running I was able to find almost
              >anything written up in the wire. Plus I was able to delve into the
              >impossible to find FAX records back catalog. Everything from rare
              >Stockhausen too everyone's current love/gripe DJ Shadow. Mego, Fat
              >Cat and other `lectronic labels. I have downloaded Grokster and it
              >is so woefully inadequate. I hardly can find most current mainstream
              >stuff.
              >Now before you all get high and mighty on me. I've worked in music
              >retail for over twenty years. I think I'm pretty good at hunting
              >down the rarities and limited editions. Plus I make good use of
              >Forced Exposure and other outlets we all count on. My main reason
              >for Napster was listening to things I was interested in and stuff.
              >For the most part I would then hunt the music/etc down. Though I
              >won't lie some stuff I was happy to just have the ones and zeros.
              >
              >So does anyone have any ideas? I thought Grokster was part of the
              >Morpheus network. If this is so it is a poor excuse for Napster. I'm
              >so lost right now and need that intravenous feed of the challenging.
              >Beside the fact that I need to find that Conant project again. With
              >the mention in the Wire this month and Wilco talking about how it
              >influenced Yankee Foxtrot. I know, I know put one radio sample of
              >someone saying "Yankee, foxtrot, hotel" and suddenly your avant-
              >garde.
              >

              >Regards
              >Varjak
              >Fractured

              >TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

            • gradyfinklemyer
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 10, 2002
                I've always preferred David Hasselhoff to Wilco, but then, what do I
                have to contribute?

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 11, 2002
                  I've been able to find a bunch of interesting stuff through Emusic.
                  It's a pay site, but if you get the subscription you can download
                  as much as you want as many times as you want. They carry a
                  lot of FAX material. While they don't have much by way of huge
                  experimental/avant-jazz collection, I've downloaded a lot of stuff
                  that I didn't feel like purchasing on disc but which I still have
                  interest in. Music from labels like Sublime, Law & Auder,
                  Invisible, Subharmonic (and most of the label offshoots that
                  seem designed to release Bill Laswell collaborations), Relapse,
                  Alternative Tentacles, and Sympathy for the Record Industry. So it
                  isn't great for hearing samples of new releases that make it into
                  the Wire, but it could help fulfill a person's FAX jones.
                • Davis Ford
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 11, 2002
                    Yay!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 11, 2002
                      Id love to find some place to get some of the old AMM recordings, my records
                      are worn out...

                      Davis Ford wrote: I pretty much completed the whole

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 11, 2002
                        AMM is posted there. I've nabbed a few albums. If
                        you let me know what you are after, I will see if I
                        have it, or I can get it via FTP.

                        davis

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 11, 2002
                          Davis, are there any David Hasselhoff albums? Which ones do you
                          have?

                          --- In thewire@y..., Davis Ford <davisford@y...> wrote:
                          > AMM is posted there. I've nabbed a few albums. If
                          > you let me know what you are after, I will see if I
                          > have it, or I can get it via FTP.
                          >
                          > davis
                          >
                          > --- mIEKAL aND <dtv@m...> wrote:
                          > > Id love to find some place to get some of the old
                          > > AMM recordings, my records
                          > > are worn out...
                          > >
                          > > Davis Ford wrote: I pretty much completed the whole
                          > >
                          > > > Sun Ra catalog (all Saturn label rarities
                          > > included) on
                          > > > there. It's definitely the place to go for rare /
                          > > > excellent jazz. The jazz group suffers from the
                          > > split
                          > > > personality of those posting Mannheim Steamroller
                          > > vs.
                          > > > those posting Albert Ayler. All your electronic
                          > > > artists are covered as well. Quite regularly
                          > > you'll
                          > > > find posts covering the Force Inc., Detroit techno
                          > > > labels, mego, whatever, etc... I also acquired a
                          > > huge
                          > > > chunk of the FAX catalog through USENET.

                          > http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                        • Jim Flannery
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 12, 2002
                            Braving the deep waters, Davis wrote to wire:

                            D> I think you meant the CONET project, right? It's not worth more
                            D> than a listen.

                            I dunno, I've probably played it 30x as often as _In Pine Effect_. But
                            then, I've probably played it as much as any other record I've bought
                            in the last two years. I think it's a great environment to move around
                            (or lie supine) in for an hour or so at a time.

                            I suspect there's very little middle ground on that one tho.

                            --
                            Jim Flannery newgrange@...

                            There's no need for us to return to San Francisco at all.
                            -- Michael Moorcock

                            np: Salvatore Martirano, _Mass_
                            nr: Michel Butor, _Portrait of the Artist as a Young Ape_
                          • Davis Ford
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 12, 2002
                              you may be right. works well as background fodder. 4
                              cds is a lot of it, though. on the same note, someone
                              used to host streaming media of police scanners from
                              different cities around the us. that was fun to
                              listen to. last i tried, it was shut down. does
                              anyone know if a site still hosts it?

                              davis

                            • wlt4@mindspring.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 12, 2002
                                >does anyone know if a site still hosts it?

                                http://www.policescanner.com/

                                There are others.
                              • gradyfinklemyer
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 12, 2002
                                  Davis, is it true that David Hasselhoff can be heard reciting
                                  numbers on one of the cds? Do you have any more info on his
                                  mysterious involvment in the project?