Re: [thewire] guides to classic cds

  • bartash2
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2002
      Albrecht Koschnik wrote:
      > Can somebody comment on the pros and cons of the available guides to
      > classical music on CD--Penguin, Rough Guide, etc.?! As a more or
      > less
      > neophyte listener to classical music, I am looking for a guide--or
      > guides--that identify both the major works of a given composer and
      > the
      > best available recording. (For example, the Penguin Guide appears to
      > do
      > the latter, but not the former.) In short, comments from people who
      > have
      > used these and other guides for a while--and, presumably, have
      > listened to
      > this stuff much longer than I have--are very welcome. thank you,
      > albrecht

      The 'The Classic Fm Guide to Classical Music'
      has a piece about the top composers, then
      a list of their recommended works. I quite like it, though
      I tend to look at the Penguin guide more often.

      I've also found BBC Music magazine to be a good resource.
      Recently they sent a survey which had one question about
      what other music magazines you read. The options
      were the usual suspets (gramophone etc.) but also included
      the Wire. Of course BBC Music magazine is horrifically
      middlebrow and mainstream, but I do learn from it.

      -Andrew