'Golden Years Of Soviet Jazz' Vol2

  • Дмитрий Ухов
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2002
      Dear Simon,

      Yes, Orchestrion did split long ago, the poet and the leader of the project
      Serguey Karsaev is working for the Volgograd TV as a producer, but you can
      find more (and, to my taste, even better) of them on Leo's Document(New
      Music from Russia).
      Arkhangelsk also does not exist for 2 reasons. Its leader Vladimir Rezitsky
      used to organize the first and the best Soviet/postSoviet new jazz
      festival, but failed to cope with financila turmoli. The festival ceased to
      exist as did his Group and he did almost a year ago of heart
      attack,provoked, no doubt, by the hardships of the provincial Russian
      life(BTW, I write about all that jazz (in Russian) in a Russian
      illustrated weekly simply called "the Weekly" ( both on and off-line
      www.ej.ru) .
      Chekalin SHOULD NOT be included in the collection since he has nothing to do
      neither with jazz nor with the Golden Era of Soviet (!) jazz (the recording
      was made in the mid-90s). Being the Russian Klaus Schulze, Chekalin is
      talented enough to fake sort of swing (or call the specific jazz drive),
      but his pure electronic works are farther superior to the trio work.He
      definitely is not an "ensemble" player.
      Ganelin-Visniauskas duo is the nearest to the Golden Era of Soviet jazz -
      they actually did one performance as a substitute for the great Ganelin
      trio of the mid-80s- with the percussionist Talas - I think this
      performance is also on Leo Records.
      dmitri