Re: atonal rap/hip-hop

  • pm.carey@utoronto.ca
    Message 1 of 20 , May 6, 2002
      * "M. Pathos" <mpathos@...>:
      >If you want mediocrity masquerading as profundity, try cLOUDDEAD.

      Ha!!! ;-) Still wondering why everyone loves Anticon/cDEAD/Dose
      et al soooo much. They have moments, but ...

      -Patrick

      NP: Edgard Varèse - "Complete Works"
    • gradyfinklemyer
      Message 2 of 20 , May 6, 2002
        Yo G, I couldn't care less whether you stay or go. It's been kinda
        lackin' on the hip hop tip since you left. It's been kinda lackin' on
        the humour tip since ralph left.

        --- In thewire@y..., Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@s...> wrote:
        > At 1:44 AM +0000 5/7/02, gradyfinklemyer wrote:
        > > What happened to your big dramatic exit?
        >
        > I just *knew* a big, greasy Ralph2391311 would plop out the minute
        > opened my mouth. Bugged that I'm back, Ralph?
        > --
        >

        > Jason Witherspoon
        > ICQ #62837760
        >
        > ---------
        > --- ---
        > ----O----
        > ---------
        > --- ---
        > ---------
      • gradyfinklemyer
        Message 3 of 20 , May 6, 2002
          I recommend Pierre Henry's Fragments Pour Artaud, which is bumpin'
          in my crib right now. Great mix of spoken word and out sonics. Too
          bad I don't speak frog. Oh well, it adds nice atmosfear to the
          sonical proceedings. Also worth a shout out is Pierre Henry's
          Apocalypse de Jean. And if any of you gangstas is lookin' to get the
          box sets that have come out, Dusty Groove gots em' for about $35!
          Whee!

          --- In thewire@y..., "reddye6" <reddye6@a...> wrote:
          > >In general, I am interested in things that
          > >straddle the line between spoken word/drama
          > >and sound art
          >
          > Intermedium Records is a great place to jump in for contemporary
          radio
          > drama, though most of it is in German (except for the great, great
          > Beckett release "... the whole thing's coming out of the dark").
          Then
          > there's the radio dramas of Ammer and Einheit, the latest one being
          > "Crashing Aeroplanes." I also like the soundtracks to Derek
          Jarman's
          > films, which often include a healthy portion of dialogue.
          >
          > Other spoken word releases that stand out for me, off the top of my
          > head, include Steven Jesse Bernstein's "Prison" (great voice, kind
          of
          > like a young Burroughs) and Jeff Noon/David Toop's "Needle in the
          > Groove," and I'd even throw in Current 93's "I Have A Special Plan
          For
          > This World."
          >
          > A place to dig through a goldmine of sound poetry/spoken word mp3s
          is
          > at www.ubu.com. There's a ton: Beckett, Burroughs, Artaud, Giorno
          > Poetry Systems stuff. Just go there.
          > Mike
        • M. Pathos
          Message 4 of 20 , May 7, 2002
            I guess what bugs me about those groups, and disappoints me about
            rap/hip-hop in general, is its mistaken emphasis: wordplay by itself isn't
            enough; while concentrating on spitting the most preposterous permutations
            of polysyllables, most rappers forget the need to actually have something
            worth saying. "Rap" could be a wonderful form for telling stories.
            Continuously hearing about how rich, or broke, the rapper is, is not enough.

            Ha!!! ;-) Still wondering why everyone loves Anticon/cDEAD/Dose
            et al soooo much. They have moments, but ...

            -Patrick

            NP: Edgard Var�se - "Complete Works"

          • M. Pathos
            Message 5 of 20 , May 7, 2002
              Thanks to whoever posted the <www.ubu.com> address. This is a fantastic site
              for sound poetry and spoken word! Not really "rap", though. . . .

            • manny@telerama.com
              Message 6 of 20 , May 8, 2002
                Those who "adore" Miranda July are worshiping an emperor with no clothes.
                She has a lot less substance than Laurie Anderson did in her heyday.
                I saw July's show - the hype was 80% undeserved, there was nothing to it.
                What a big waste of the over $3000 which she got.
                Simply repeating the words "Whitney Biennial" over and over again does
                not make something interesting (though, you'd think it would).
                Oh, she can make boring electronic melodies and respond to a bunch of dots
                on a prerecorded video tape. How late 70s.
              • Manuel Cabrera
                Message 7 of 20 , May 8, 2002
                  i've never seen her perform live--only heard her albums, which i love, and
                  seen one of her short films. this isn't her work, but the short film
                  collection "I Saw Bones," with works culled from the Big miss Moviola project,
                  has some gems in it. I'm not very familiar with Laurie Anderson's work
                  (except for a couple of tracks I've heard from her), but I'll be sure to check
                  it out. In any case, I don't worship her: I simply enjoy what I've heard and
                  seen of her work.

                  mandel