Re: atonal rap/hip-hop

  • pm.carey@utoronto.ca
    Message 1 of 20 , May 6, 2002
      * "M. Pathos" <mpathos@...>:
      >If you want mediocrity masquerading as profundity, try cLOUDDEAD.

      Ha!!! ;-) Still wondering why everyone loves Anticon/cDEAD/Dose
      et al soooo much. They have moments, but ...

      -Patrick

      NP: Edgard Varèse - "Complete Works"
    • gradyfinklemyer
      Message 2 of 20 , May 6, 2002
        Yeah, most of it ain't tonal, cause they ain't schooled in nuthin'.
        If youse guys aks me, it's all atonal, and none of it weren't never
        no good. Thas juss my 'pinion, howevah!

        --- In thewire@y..., "M. Pathos" <mpathos@h...> wrote:
        > atonal: Applied to a style of composition in which there is no
        conscious
        > reference to any scale or tonic.
        > (Simpson and Weiner (1991), The Compact Oxford English Dictionary --
        Second
        > Edition. Clarendon Press: London)
        >
        > As the majority of rappers and hip-hop producers are unschooled in
        > traditions which impart cognizance of tonal or scalar structures,
        most
        > hip-hop is "atonal": there is "no conscious reference to any scale
        or
        > tonic".
        >
        > But you're probably just looking for stuff that sounds especially
        fucked-up.
        > If this is the case, I recommend Techno Animal's "the brotherhood
        of the
        > bomb" or any album by the Ice collective (especially "bad blood").
        If you
        > want more pop sounds, try anything on the quality Definitive Jux
        label. If
        > you want mediocrity masquerading as profundity, try cLOUDDEAD.

        http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
      • Jason Witherspoon
        Message 3 of 20 , May 6, 2002
          At 1:44 AM +0000 5/7/02, gradyfinklemyer wrote:
          > What happened to your big dramatic exit?

          I just *knew* a big, greasy Ralph2391311 would plop out the minute I
          opened my mouth. Bugged that I'm back, Ralph?
          --

          Jason Witherspoon
          ICQ #62837760

          ---------
          --- ---
          ----O----
          ---------
          --- ---
          ---------
        • reddye6
          Message 4 of 20 , May 6, 2002
            >In general, I am interested in things that
            >straddle the line between spoken word/drama
            >and sound art

            Intermedium Records is a great place to jump in for contemporary radio
            drama, though most of it is in German (except for the great, great
            Beckett release "... the whole thing's coming out of the dark"). Then
            there's the radio dramas of Ammer and Einheit, the latest one being
            "Crashing Aeroplanes." I also like the soundtracks to Derek Jarman's
            films, which often include a healthy portion of dialogue.

            Other spoken word releases that stand out for me, off the top of my
            head, include Steven Jesse Bernstein's "Prison" (great voice, kind of
            like a young Burroughs) and Jeff Noon/David Toop's "Needle in the
            Groove," and I'd even throw in Current 93's "I Have A Special Plan For
            This World."

            A place to dig through a goldmine of sound poetry/spoken word mp3s is
            at www.ubu.com. There's a ton: Beckett, Burroughs, Artaud, Giorno
            Poetry Systems stuff. Just go there.
            Mike
          • gradyfinklemyer
            Message 5 of 20 , May 6, 2002
              Yo G, I couldn't care less whether you stay or go. It's been kinda
              lackin' on the hip hop tip since you left. It's been kinda lackin' on
              the humour tip since ralph left.

              --- In thewire@y..., Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@s...> wrote:
              > At 1:44 AM +0000 5/7/02, gradyfinklemyer wrote:
              > > What happened to your big dramatic exit?
              >
              > I just *knew* a big, greasy Ralph2391311 would plop out the minute
              > opened my mouth. Bugged that I'm back, Ralph?
              > --
              >

              > Jason Witherspoon
              > ICQ #62837760
              >
              > ---------
              > --- ---
              > ----O----
              > ---------
              > --- ---
              > ---------
            • gradyfinklemyer
              Message 6 of 20 , May 6, 2002
                I recommend Pierre Henry's Fragments Pour Artaud, which is bumpin'
                in my crib right now. Great mix of spoken word and out sonics. Too
                bad I don't speak frog. Oh well, it adds nice atmosfear to the
                sonical proceedings. Also worth a shout out is Pierre Henry's
                Apocalypse de Jean. And if any of you gangstas is lookin' to get the
                box sets that have come out, Dusty Groove gots em' for about $35!
                Whee!

                --- In thewire@y..., "reddye6" <reddye6@a...> wrote:
                > >In general, I am interested in things that
                > >straddle the line between spoken word/drama
                > >and sound art
                >
                > Intermedium Records is a great place to jump in for contemporary
                radio
                > drama, though most of it is in German (except for the great, great
                > Beckett release "... the whole thing's coming out of the dark").
                Then
                > there's the radio dramas of Ammer and Einheit, the latest one being
                > "Crashing Aeroplanes." I also like the soundtracks to Derek
                Jarman's
                > films, which often include a healthy portion of dialogue.
                >
                > Other spoken word releases that stand out for me, off the top of my
                > head, include Steven Jesse Bernstein's "Prison" (great voice, kind
                of
                > like a young Burroughs) and Jeff Noon/David Toop's "Needle in the
                > Groove," and I'd even throw in Current 93's "I Have A Special Plan
                For
                > This World."
                >
                > A place to dig through a goldmine of sound poetry/spoken word mp3s
                is
                > at www.ubu.com. There's a ton: Beckett, Burroughs, Artaud, Giorno
                > Poetry Systems stuff. Just go there.
                > Mike
              • M. Pathos
                Message 7 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                  I guess what bugs me about those groups, and disappoints me about
                  rap/hip-hop in general, is its mistaken emphasis: wordplay by itself isn't
                  enough; while concentrating on spitting the most preposterous permutations
                  of polysyllables, most rappers forget the need to actually have something
                  worth saying. "Rap" could be a wonderful form for telling stories.
                  Continuously hearing about how rich, or broke, the rapper is, is not enough.

                  Ha!!! ;-) Still wondering why everyone loves Anticon/cDEAD/Dose
                  et al soooo much. They have moments, but ...

                  -Patrick

                  NP: Edgard Var�se - "Complete Works"

                • M. Pathos
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                    Thanks to whoever posted the <www.ubu.com> address. This is a fantastic site
                    for sound poetry and spoken word! Not really "rap", though. . . .

                  • manny@telerama.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 8, 2002
                      Those who "adore" Miranda July are worshiping an emperor with no clothes.
                      She has a lot less substance than Laurie Anderson did in her heyday.
                      I saw July's show - the hype was 80% undeserved, there was nothing to it.
                      What a big waste of the over $3000 which she got.
                      Simply repeating the words "Whitney Biennial" over and over again does
                      not make something interesting (though, you'd think it would).
                      Oh, she can make boring electronic melodies and respond to a bunch of dots
                      on a prerecorded video tape. How late 70s.
                    • Manuel Cabrera
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 8, 2002
                        i've never seen her perform live--only heard her albums, which i love, and
                        seen one of her short films. this isn't her work, but the short film
                        collection "I Saw Bones," with works culled from the Big miss Moviola project,
                        has some gems in it. I'm not very familiar with Laurie Anderson's work
                        (except for a couple of tracks I've heard from her), but I'll be sure to check
                        it out. In any case, I don't worship her: I simply enjoy what I've heard and
                        seen of her work.

                        mandel