Re: atonal rap/hip-hop

  • stevolende
    Message 1 of 20 , May 6, 2002
      --- In thewire@y..., Manuel Cabrera <semiote@e...> wrote:
      > Thank you Varjak and Stevo for your replies. In general, I am
      interested in things that straddle the line between spoken word/drama
      and sound art,

      I was reminded of Lee ranaldo's solo stuff earlier this week
      I've heard some good beatniky readings over guitar noise from him.

      what reminded me of him was the tracks on the 2 versions of the Dylan
      uNcut tribute cds
      one has the version of sitting on the Fence by Thurston, Kim and Epic
      which I think was specially done for a Dylan compi 15 or so years
      back (this disc's blurb says its exclusive to this disc)

      the other disc has a sopolo Lee track -i'm not sure what only that
      its a dylan cover.

      But I do recall a ccd I had way back with Lee doing spoken word about
      recording with the Jajouka in their Morroccan village.
      Unfortunately thats now long gone.
      as is the other industrial compi I had with his solo stuff on.
      imagine 'In The Kingdsom #41'(or whatever the number) from Sonic
      youth's Evol without the rest of Sonic Youth
      Stevo
      Np Embryonic Journey Jefferson Airplane
    • pm.carey@utoronto.ca
      Message 2 of 20 , May 6, 2002
        * "M. Pathos" <mpathos@...>:
        >If you want mediocrity masquerading as profundity, try cLOUDDEAD.

        Ha!!! ;-) Still wondering why everyone loves Anticon/cDEAD/Dose
        et al soooo much. They have moments, but ...

        -Patrick

        NP: Edgard Varèse - "Complete Works"
      • gradyfinklemyer
        Message 3 of 20 , May 6, 2002
          What happened to your big dramatic exit?

          --- In thewire@y..., Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@s...> wrote:
          > At 3:32 PM -0700 5/5/02, Manuel Cabrera wrote:
          > > Thank you Varjak and Stevo for your replies. In general, I
          am
          > >interested in things that straddle the line between spoken
          > >word/drama and sound art, but have been discovering things quite
          > >slowly. It began with an obsession with good radio drama, which
          has
          > >led me a few other things like Miranda July (whom I
          > >now adore). I had yet to explore the realm of hiphop and spoken
          > >word, not yet having had an "in" into the scene. Any
          > >recommendations of good spoken word and sound art using words
          would
          > >be greatly appreciated.
          > >

          > > manuel cabrera
          >
          > Check out Carl Hancock Rux, Mike Ladd, Ursula Rucker, Mystic, Saul
          > Williams, et al.--
          > --
          >

          > Jason Witherspoon
          > ICQ #62837760
          >
          > ---------
          > --- ---
          > ----O----
          > ---------
          > --- ---
          > ---------
        • gradyfinklemyer
          Message 4 of 20 , May 6, 2002
            Yeah, most of it ain't tonal, cause they ain't schooled in nuthin'.
            If youse guys aks me, it's all atonal, and none of it weren't never
            no good. Thas juss my 'pinion, howevah!

            --- In thewire@y..., "M. Pathos" <mpathos@h...> wrote:
            > atonal: Applied to a style of composition in which there is no
            conscious
            > reference to any scale or tonic.
            > (Simpson and Weiner (1991), The Compact Oxford English Dictionary --
            Second
            > Edition. Clarendon Press: London)
            >
            > As the majority of rappers and hip-hop producers are unschooled in
            > traditions which impart cognizance of tonal or scalar structures,
            most
            > hip-hop is "atonal": there is "no conscious reference to any scale
            or
            > tonic".
            >
            > But you're probably just looking for stuff that sounds especially
            fucked-up.
            > If this is the case, I recommend Techno Animal's "the brotherhood
            of the
            > bomb" or any album by the Ice collective (especially "bad blood").
            If you
            > want more pop sounds, try anything on the quality Definitive Jux
            label. If
            > you want mediocrity masquerading as profundity, try cLOUDDEAD.

            http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.
          • Jason Witherspoon
            Message 5 of 20 , May 6, 2002
              At 1:44 AM +0000 5/7/02, gradyfinklemyer wrote:
              > What happened to your big dramatic exit?

              I just *knew* a big, greasy Ralph2391311 would plop out the minute I
              opened my mouth. Bugged that I'm back, Ralph?
              --

              Jason Witherspoon
              ICQ #62837760

              ---------
              --- ---
              ----O----
              ---------
              --- ---
              ---------
            • reddye6
              Message 6 of 20 , May 6, 2002
                >In general, I am interested in things that
                >straddle the line between spoken word/drama
                >and sound art

                Intermedium Records is a great place to jump in for contemporary radio
                drama, though most of it is in German (except for the great, great
                Beckett release "... the whole thing's coming out of the dark"). Then
                there's the radio dramas of Ammer and Einheit, the latest one being
                "Crashing Aeroplanes." I also like the soundtracks to Derek Jarman's
                films, which often include a healthy portion of dialogue.

                Other spoken word releases that stand out for me, off the top of my
                head, include Steven Jesse Bernstein's "Prison" (great voice, kind of
                like a young Burroughs) and Jeff Noon/David Toop's "Needle in the
                Groove," and I'd even throw in Current 93's "I Have A Special Plan For
                This World."

                A place to dig through a goldmine of sound poetry/spoken word mp3s is
                at www.ubu.com. There's a ton: Beckett, Burroughs, Artaud, Giorno
                Poetry Systems stuff. Just go there.
                Mike
              • gradyfinklemyer
                Message 7 of 20 , May 6, 2002
                  Yo G, I couldn't care less whether you stay or go. It's been kinda
                  lackin' on the hip hop tip since you left. It's been kinda lackin' on
                  the humour tip since ralph left.

                  --- In thewire@y..., Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@s...> wrote:
                  > At 1:44 AM +0000 5/7/02, gradyfinklemyer wrote:
                  > > What happened to your big dramatic exit?
                  >
                  > I just *knew* a big, greasy Ralph2391311 would plop out the minute
                  > opened my mouth. Bugged that I'm back, Ralph?
                  > --
                  >

                  > Jason Witherspoon
                  > ICQ #62837760
                  >
                  > ---------
                  > --- ---
                  > ----O----
                  > ---------
                  > --- ---
                  > ---------
                • gradyfinklemyer
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 6, 2002
                    I recommend Pierre Henry's Fragments Pour Artaud, which is bumpin'
                    in my crib right now. Great mix of spoken word and out sonics. Too
                    bad I don't speak frog. Oh well, it adds nice atmosfear to the
                    sonical proceedings. Also worth a shout out is Pierre Henry's
                    Apocalypse de Jean. And if any of you gangstas is lookin' to get the
                    box sets that have come out, Dusty Groove gots em' for about $35!
                    Whee!

                    --- In thewire@y..., "reddye6" <reddye6@a...> wrote:
                    > >In general, I am interested in things that
                    > >straddle the line between spoken word/drama
                    > >and sound art
                    >
                    > Intermedium Records is a great place to jump in for contemporary
                    radio
                    > drama, though most of it is in German (except for the great, great
                    > Beckett release "... the whole thing's coming out of the dark").
                    Then
                    > there's the radio dramas of Ammer and Einheit, the latest one being
                    > "Crashing Aeroplanes." I also like the soundtracks to Derek
                    Jarman's
                    > films, which often include a healthy portion of dialogue.
                    >
                    > Other spoken word releases that stand out for me, off the top of my
                    > head, include Steven Jesse Bernstein's "Prison" (great voice, kind
                    of
                    > like a young Burroughs) and Jeff Noon/David Toop's "Needle in the
                    > Groove," and I'd even throw in Current 93's "I Have A Special Plan
                    For
                    > This World."
                    >
                    > A place to dig through a goldmine of sound poetry/spoken word mp3s
                    is
                    > at www.ubu.com. There's a ton: Beckett, Burroughs, Artaud, Giorno
                    > Poetry Systems stuff. Just go there.
                    > Mike
                  • M. Pathos
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                      I guess what bugs me about those groups, and disappoints me about
                      rap/hip-hop in general, is its mistaken emphasis: wordplay by itself isn't
                      enough; while concentrating on spitting the most preposterous permutations
                      of polysyllables, most rappers forget the need to actually have something
                      worth saying. "Rap" could be a wonderful form for telling stories.
                      Continuously hearing about how rich, or broke, the rapper is, is not enough.

                      Ha!!! ;-) Still wondering why everyone loves Anticon/cDEAD/Dose
                      et al soooo much. They have moments, but ...

                      -Patrick

                      NP: Edgard Var�se - "Complete Works"

                    • M. Pathos
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 7, 2002
                        Thanks to whoever posted the <www.ubu.com> address. This is a fantastic site
                        for sound poetry and spoken word! Not really "rap", though. . . .

                      • manny@telerama.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 8, 2002
                          Those who "adore" Miranda July are worshiping an emperor with no clothes.
                          She has a lot less substance than Laurie Anderson did in her heyday.
                          I saw July's show - the hype was 80% undeserved, there was nothing to it.
                          What a big waste of the over $3000 which she got.
                          Simply repeating the words "Whitney Biennial" over and over again does
                          not make something interesting (though, you'd think it would).
                          Oh, she can make boring electronic melodies and respond to a bunch of dots
                          on a prerecorded video tape. How late 70s.
                        • Manuel Cabrera
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 8, 2002
                            i've never seen her perform live--only heard her albums, which i love, and
                            seen one of her short films. this isn't her work, but the short film
                            collection "I Saw Bones," with works culled from the Big miss Moviola project,
                            has some gems in it. I'm not very familiar with Laurie Anderson's work
                            (except for a couple of tracks I've heard from her), but I'll be sure to check
                            it out. In any case, I don't worship her: I simply enjoy what I've heard and
                            seen of her work.

                            mandel