Re: [thewire] Re: unofficial wire mp3 companion?

  • Betsey Biggs
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 22, 2002
      Hey Vincent,

      I'd be willing to spend some time at appropriate
      sites, ie Other Music in NYC or Aquarius Records in
      San Francisco, in order to get links to mp3s they've
      reviewed (usually similar to the Wire). Or I could
      send you a link to the page with the review. I
      dunno... do you think it's appropriate? It seems like
      it would be okay. I think (for Aaquarius at least)
      that they are actually Real Audio and not mp3s. What
      do you think about that? It seems like it would still
      serve the purpose of allowing people to hear the
      music...

      BB

      --- Vincent Kargatis <lartis@...> wrote:
      > From: "Vincent Kargatis" <lartis@...>
      > > http://homepage.mac.com/vkargatis/wire_mp3/
      > >
      > > To contribute, just upload to your site mp3s of
      > tracks from albums
      > reviewed
      > > (or featured) in The Wire this year. [...]
      > > Then email me the info (issue, artist/album/track
      > > name, and URL), and I'll put in a link.
      >
      > I'm just being paranoid here, but for gods' sake, DO
      > NOT email me any mp3s,
      > if that wasn't clear enough. My connection's too
      > slow to handle emailed
      > mp3s, and I couldn't store them online anyway. Thx,

      http://games.yahoo.com/
    • Andrew Fleming
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 22, 2002
        > I wrote:
        >> I'm wondering whether people are interested in
        >> contributing to a kind of unofficial mp3-magazine-companion to the monthy
        >> issues of The Wire.
        >>
        >> Basically I just had in mind compiling pointers to representative MP3
        > tracks
        >> of albums reviewed in The Wire, simple as that.
        >
        > OK, I put up a simple (prototype?) page.
        > http://homepage.mac.com/vkargatis/wire_mp3/
        >
        > It has links to Jan-Apr 2002, with 3 mp3s in issue 215 (Jan) and one in 216.
        > Unfortunately, I only have 25MB of space, which obviously gets eaten up
        > quick. That's why this'll only work with people pitching in!

        This should help: As part of the yahoogroups service, we have 20 MB of
        storage space, which currently isn't being used by anybody. Whenever a file
        is uploaded to this space (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/files/),
        Yahoo sends an automated message out telling everybody about it. I've just
        changed it so that any list member can upload files there.

        Andrew
      • Olivier Borzeix
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 22, 2002
          Indeed that would so cool to be able to listen to some stuffs reviwed in
          The Wire.

          I'm all for that!

          Olivier

          Andrew Fleming a écrit :

          > > I wrote:
          > >> I'm wondering whether people are interested in
          > >> contributing to a kind of unofficial mp3-magazine-companion to the
          > monthy
          > >> issues of The Wire.
          > >>
          > >> Basically I just had in mind compiling pointers to representative
          > MP3
          > > tracks
          > >> of albums reviewed in The Wire, simple as that.
          > >
          > > OK, I put up a simple (prototype?) page.
          > > http://homepage.mac.com/vkargatis/wire_mp3/
          > >
          > > It has links to Jan-Apr 2002, with 3 mp3s in issue 215 (Jan) and one
          > in 216.
          > > Unfortunately, I only have 25MB of space, which obviously gets eaten
          > up
          > > quick. That's why this'll only work with people pitching in!
          >
          > This should help: As part of the yahoogroups service, we have 20 MB of
          >
          > storage space, which currently isn't being used by anybody. Whenever
          > a file
          > is uploaded to this space
          > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/files/),
          > Yahoo sends an automated message out telling everybody about it. I've
          > just
          > changed it so that any list member can upload files there.
          >
          > Andrew
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • David Beardsley
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 22, 2002
            From: "Andrew Fleming" <ajf213@...>

            > This should help: As part of the yahoogroups service, we have 20 MB of
            > storage space, which currently isn't being used by anybody. Whenever a
            file
            > is uploaded to this space (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/files/),
            > Yahoo sends an automated message out telling everybody about it. I've
            just
            > changed it so that any list member can upload files there.

            Probably a violation of the Yahoo terms of service.

            * David Beardsley
            * http://biink.com
            * http://mp3.com/davidbeardsley
          • Daniel
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 22, 2002
              Excellently done. Hooray!

              Vincent Kargatis wrote:

              > I wrote:
              > > I'm wondering whether people are interested in
              > > contributing to a kind of unofficial mp3-magazine-companion to the monthy
              > > issues of The Wire.
              > >
              > > Basically I just had in mind compiling pointers to representative MP3
              > tracks
              > > of albums reviewed in The Wire, simple as that.
              >
              > OK, I put up a simple (prototype?) page.
              > http://homepage.mac.com/vkargatis/wire_mp3/
              >
              > It has links to Jan-Apr 2002, with 3 mp3s in issue 215 (Jan) and one in 216.
              > Unfortunately, I only have 25MB of space, which obviously gets eaten up
              > quick. That's why this'll only work with people pitching in!
              >
              > To contribute, just upload to your site mp3s of tracks from albums reviewed
              > (or featured) in The Wire this year. Either in the main section, the
              > columns, or articles. Then email me the info (issue, artist/album/track
              > name, and URL), and I'll put in a link. I want to keep this limited in
              > scope, so don't plan on linking to mp3s that are of "general interest" -
              > this is specifically a companion to specific issues of The Wire.
              >
              > Refer to my original note for caveats, but note that I will immediately
              > remove any links if requested so by the artist or label. And since I'm only
              > pointing to supplied URLs, I can't promise availability - I'm sure
              > contributors will do their best to keep things up for a while.
              >
              > If people have web space but no relevant mp3s, I'm sure there are plenty
              > with the opposite problem (like me) - email me if you want to host any
              > tracks. If you hate my simple html page and want to host a better design
              > and handle the compilation duties, be my guest - I'm not married to the
              > task, just the idea.
              >
              > Let the entries begin!
              > --
              > Vincent Kargatis
              > np: Rova - "Escape From Zero Village" (As Was)

            • Colin Kerr
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 22, 2002
                I could probably pitch in with about 25MB to help out.

                > > > I'm wondering whether people are interested in
                > > > contributing to a kind of unofficial mp3-magazine-companion to the
                monthy
                > > > issues of The Wire.
                > > >
                > > > Basically I just had in mind compiling pointers to representative MP3
                > > tracks
                > > > of albums reviewed in The Wire, simple as that.
                > >
                > > OK, I put up a simple (prototype?) page.
                > > http://homepage.mac.com/vkargatis/wire_mp3/
                > >
                > > It has links to Jan-Apr 2002, with 3 mp3s in issue 215 (Jan) and one in
                216.
                > > Unfortunately, I only have 25MB of space, which obviously gets eaten up
                > > quick. That's why this'll only work with people pitching in!
                > >
                > > To contribute, just upload to your site mp3s of tracks from albums
                reviewed
                > > (or featured) in The Wire this year. Either in the main section, the
                > > columns, or articles. Then email me the info (issue, artist/album/track
                > > name, and URL), and I'll put in a link. I want to keep this limited in
                > > scope, so don't plan on linking to mp3s that are of "general interest" -
                > > this is specifically a companion to specific issues of The Wire.
                > >
                > > Refer to my original note for caveats, but note that I will immediately
                > > remove any links if requested so by the artist or label. And since I'm
                only
                > > pointing to supplied URLs, I can't promise availability - I'm sure
                > > contributors will do their best to keep things up for a while.
                > >
                > > If people have web space but no relevant mp3s, I'm sure there are plenty
                > > with the opposite problem (like me) - email me if you want to host any
                > > tracks. If you hate my simple html page and want to host a better
                design
                > > and handle the compilation duties, be my guest - I'm not married to the
                > > task, just the idea.
                > >
                > > Let the entries begin!
                > > --
                > > Vincent Kargatis
                > > np: Rova - "Escape From Zero Village" (As Was)

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Vincent Kargatis
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 22, 2002
                  > From: Betsey Biggs <indiabets@...>
                  >
                  > I'd be willing to spend some time at appropriate
                  > sites, ie Other Music in NYC or Aquarius Records in
                  > San Francisco, in order to get links to mp3s they've
                  > reviewed (usually similar to the Wire). Or I could
                  > send you a link to the page with the review.

                  As I mentioned, I wanted to limit this in scope purely to The Wire's
                  reviews/features. Not because that has some special inherent meaning to it,
                  but that once beyond that limitation, the scope is practically infinite, and
                  therefore unmanageable (for my willing level of effort) and almost useless
                  (i.e., it just becomes the web at large, no?). I mean this purely to be a
                  companion to reading The Wire.

                  Certainly anyone at any time can announce in any place URLs to whatever
                  music they want, right? I'm offering to help organize a specific tool for a
                  specific purpose, that's all.

                  > From: Andrew Fleming <ajf213@...>
                  > This should help: As part of the yahoogroups service, we have 20 MB of
                  > storage space, which currently isn't being used by anybody. Whenever a
                  file
                  > is uploaded to this space (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thewire/files/),
                  > Yahoo sends an automated message out telling everybody about it. I've
                  just
                  > changed it so that any list member can upload files there.

                  That's perfectly fine, but given that it's open to the public, and not by
                  policy limited to this project, I would expect only a random portion of it
                  to support this (nothing wrong with that - I'm just noting the fact. I am
                  *not* asking that it be reserved for this, btw, though I'm comfortable with
                  it being used that way.)

                  Note that yahoogroups file uploads are limited to 5MB or less per file.
                  Opening up the Files section to a music list does probably beg for an
                  established list policy, regarding usage and time allotments. 20MB worth of
                  MP3s, for example, sure doesn't go far. :)

                  Remember, folks, this will only be as much use as contributors make it. I
                  found a bit more space and uploaded a few more tracks from the Improvised
                  Music From Japan box.

                  http://homepage.mac.com/vkargatis/wire_mp3/

                  Still waiting on the first (not counting me) contributor. :) The idea is
                  for many individuals to generally offer a very small number of tracks, so
                  even if you have just one track, and 5-odd MB (or whatever) of web space
                  somewhere - that's all you need to help out...
                  --
                  Vincent Kargatis
                  np: Kaija Saariaho - "Graal théâtre, I. Delicato" (Château de l'âme)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 22, 2002
                    I don't think I was clear. I meant that I would be
                    willing to spend time to find links to mp3s or Real
                    Audio files of music REVIEWED IN THE WIRE. They are
                    sometimes also reviewed at the record store's site,
                    and i thought it might be kind of cool to see an
                    alternate review for the same obscure cd. What does
                    everyone else think?

                    http://games.yahoo.com/
                  • kargatis
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 23, 2002
                      --- In thewire@y..., Betsey Biggs <indiabets@y...> wrote:
                      > I don't think I was clear. I meant that I would be
                      > willing to spend time to find links to mp3s or Real
                      > Audio files of music REVIEWED IN THE WIRE.

                      Ah, yeah, I did misunderstand you. Sure, go for it. If it's a
                      streaming link, I'll note it in the link.
                      --
                      Vincent Kargatis
                      np: Tetsuro Yasunaga - "two organs" (Improvised Music From Japan ..)
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 28, 2002
                        Hi Vincent,

                        Here are some tracks I rounded up, almost all
                        RealAudio streams mostly from the Aquarius Records
                        website, www.aquariusrecords.org.

                        Hope the HTML works... let me know.

                        Betsey

                        target="_top">Richard Hell</a> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/hellspurts.rm"><em>Love
                        Comes in Spurts</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.matadorrecords.com/"
                        target="_top">Matador</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Richard Hell</a> -
                        <a
                        RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.matadorrecords.com/"
                        target="_top">Matador</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Richard Hell</a> -
                        <a
                        href="www.matadorrecords.com/mpeg/richard_hell/dont_die.mp3"><em>Don't
                        Die</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.matadorrecords.com/"
                        target="_top">Matador</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Gordon Mumma</a> -
                        <b>Live-Electronic Music</b> -
                        <a
                        RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.tzadik.com/"
                        target="_top">Tzadik</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Gordon Mumma</a> -
                        <b>Live-Electronic Music</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/mummamedium.rm"><em>Medium
                        Size Monograph 1963</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.tzadik.com/"
                        target="_top">Tzadik</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Rhythm & Sound</a> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/rhythmsoundnopar.rm"><em>No
                        Partial</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a
                        href="http://http://www.circonium.de/music/rs.html"
                        target="_top">Rhythm & Sound</a>)<br>

                        Rhythm & Sound - <b>Rhythm & Sound</b> -
                        <a
                        RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.circonium.de/music/rs.html"
                        target="_top">Rhythm & Sound</a>)<br>

                        Rhythm & Sound - <b>Rhythm & Sound</b> -
                        <a
                        RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.circonium.de/music/rs.html"
                        target="_top">Rhythm & Sound</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Chicks on Speed/Kreidler</a> -
                        <b>The Chicks on Speed/Kreidler Session</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/chickskreidlerfrequent.rm"><em>Frequent
                        Flyer Lounge Song</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://chicksonspeed.com/"
                        target="_top">Chicks on Speed</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Chicks on Speed</a> -
                        Chicks on Speed/Kreidler Session</b></a> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/chickskreidlerwild.rm/"><em>Where
                        The Wild Roses Grow</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://chicksonspeed.com/"
                        target="_top">Chicks on Speed</a>)<br>

                        Vladislav Delay - Naima</b>
                        <a
                        RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.staubgold.de/"
                        target="_top">Staubgold</a>)<br>

                        Sacher-Pelz -<b>Mutation for a Continuity</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/sacherpelzcrime.rm"><em>Crime
                        Uberall (from "Cainus")</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a
                        href="http://www.forcedexposure.com/labels/alga.marghen.italy.html"
                        target="_top">Alga Marghen</a>)<br>

                        Sacher-Pelz -<b>Mutation for a Continuity</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/sacherpelzvenus.rm"><em>Venus
                        (from "Venus")</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a
                        href="http://www.forcedexposure.com/labels/alga.marghen.italy.html"
                        target="_top">Alga Marghen</a>)<br>

                        Sacher-Pelz -<b>Mutation for a Continuity</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/sacherpelzexter.rm"><em>Exterminans
                        (from "Cease to Exist"</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a
                        href="http://www.forcedexposure.com/labels/alga.marghen.italy.html"
                        target="_top">Alga Marghen</a>)<br>

                        Sacher-Pelz -<b>Mutation for a Continuity</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/sacherpelzsans.rm"><em>Sans
                        Sang (from "Velours")</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a
                        href="http://www.forcedexposure.com/labels/alga.marghen.italy.html"
                        target="_top">E'est/Alga Marghen</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Kontakt der Junglinge</a> -
                        <b>0</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/kontaktderjung01.rm"><em>0
                        (excerpt 1)</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.diestadtmusik.de/"
                        target="_top">Die Stadt</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Kontakt der Junglinge</a> -
                        <b>0</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/kontaktderjung02.rm"><em>0
                        (excerpt 2)</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.diestadtmusik.de/"
                        target="_top">Die Stadt</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Kontakt der Junglinge</a> -
                        <b>0</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/kontaktderjung03.rm"><em>0
                        (excerpt 3)</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://www.diestadtmusik.de/"
                        target="_top">Die Stadt</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Nihilist Spasm Band</a> and <a
                        href="http://www.nymuse.com/jazz/joe.html"
                        target=_top">Joe McPhee</a> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www3.sympatico.ca/pratten/NSB/noborders.html"
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/nihilistgoing.rm"><em>Going

                        target="_top">Nihilist Spasm Band</a> and <a
                        href="http://www.nymuse.com/jazz/joe.html"
                        target=_top">Joe McPhee</a> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www3.sympatico.ca/pratten/NSB/noborders.html"
                        <a
                        RealAudio
                        (Non Musica Rex)<br>

                        target="_top">Newband</a> -
                        <b>Harry Partch & Dean Drummond</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/partchrose.rm"><em>The
                        Rose</em></a> RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://LABEL.URL/"
                        target="_top">Innova</a>)<br>

                        target="_top">Newband</a> -
                        <b>Harry Partch & Dean Drummond</b> -
                        <a
                        href="http://www.aquariusrecords.org/audio/drummondcongressional.rm"><em>Congressional
                        Record</em></a> <FILESIZE>RealAudio
                        (<a href="http://LABEL.URL/"
                        target="_top">Innova</a>)<br>

                        http://health.yahoo.com
                      • Vincent Kargatis
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 28, 2002
                          > > Basically I just had in mind compiling pointers to representative MP3
                          > tracks
                          > > of albums reviewed in The Wire, simple as that.
                          >
                          > OK, I put up a simple (prototype?) page.
                          > http://homepage.mac.com/vkargatis/wire_mp3/
                          >
                          > It has links to Jan-Apr 2002, with 3 mp3s in issue 215 (Jan) and one in
                          216.
                          > Unfortunately, I only have 25MB of space, which obviously gets eaten up
                          > quick. That's why this'll only work with people pitching in!
                          >
                          > To contribute, just upload to your site mp3s of tracks from albums
                          reviewed
                          > (or featured) in The Wire this year. Either in the main section, the
                          > columns, or articles. Then email me the info (issue, artist/album/track
                          > name, and URL), and I'll put in a link.

                          Well, this was a week ago, and I've not had a single other person contribute
                          their own uploads! (I've had one person point to links to pre-existing
                          samples, which is just as good.) I'm disappointed that this may never take
                          off, cuz I thought it was a potentially great resource (and many told me
                          so), but it will never be particularly useful unless lots of people
                          contribute a little. And if there's not interest the first week, I doubt it
                          will grow as time passes.

                          Surely I'm not alone in:
                          - having overlap between my purchases and Wire reviews
                          - converting those purchases to mp3
                          - having a modicum of web space

                          Remember, even one track is a big help - I always had the idea the site
                          would be built on many people contributing a small amount, not a few with
                          loads of space and mp3s.

                          So, I'll pathetically beg this once. After that, I can continue to supply
                          what tracks I can, but it will never be a "go-to" source without lots more
                          than what I can contribute.
                          --
                          Vincent Kargatis
                          np: WFMU
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 29, 2002
                            uh... oops. sorry for posting to the list.
                            it was late at night and i was tired.

                            i'll never do it again (famous last words)

                            betsey

                            http://health.yahoo.com
                          • David Bauwens
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 9, 2003
                              Hi,
                              don't think it has been mentioned yet (or I must have missed it);
                              there is such a thing here:
                              http://thewire.kargatron.net/issues.html

                              David

                              np: Sir Dupermann