Re: [thewire] nujazz

  • Kristopher S. Handley
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 5, 2002
      Some redundancies here from previous posts, but take that as indication of
      those records being essential. I am also assuming you mean "free
      improvisation" too, when you say "jazz", which may or may not be the case.

      1. Evan Parker, 50th BIRTHDAY CONCERT (Leo, awesome double cd)
      2. Dave Holland, perhaps one of his new band's albums, I think the one I
      have is PRIME DIRECTIVE; excellent group interplay, grooving, some fine
      saxophone work from Chris Potter; great mainstream jazz. I like a number of
      Holland's straightahead records on ECM from the 80s and 90s, especially the
      album TRIPLICATE with Steve Coleman and _____(?). CONFERENCE OF THE BIRDS
      is like thirty years old now, but it's totally essential, a beautiful
      record, with Anthony Braxton and Sam Rivers.
      3. Speaking of Anthony Braxton, I swear by his "classic" quartet's WILLISAU
      (QUARTET) 1991 (HatArt), which unfortunately is 4cd's, but fortunately, is
      4cd's; the group's work is just kaleidoscopic. Otherwise, I would
      unfailingly suggest the DORTMUND (1976) or PERFORMANCE (1979) sets, with
      George Lewis and Ray Anderson respectively. Both tremendous. Boring
      recommendations, I know; every Brax fan seems to say the same thing, but
      damn they're good. I might have messed up those dates, too.
      4. Paul Motian Trio. Don't know which is the most essential, but I don't
      care terribly much for the Motian on Broadway standards series (though I do
      kind of like Lee Konitz's and Joe Lovano's playing on the volume on which
      they guest...both excellent saxophonists, working out of the tradition), nor
      Motian's kind of anemic standards with the "Electric Bebop Band" (hardly
      electric...the first record is still the best). But MOTIAN IN TOKYO and
      portions of YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY HEART are beautiful. Bill
      Frisell was a total discovery to me, years ago.
      5. Speaking of Bill Frisell, I have no idea what is best record is, but THIS
      LAND is a slice of skewed and wry Americana, substituting Thelonious Monkish
      humor for kitsch. Brilliant. Also pretty good is the drumless Bill Frisell
      Quartet, who I think have a self-titled record.
      6. Frisell's playing in a drumless situation is absolutely exquisite on the
      Kenny Wheeler record ANGEL SONG (ECM), which is priceless and must be owned
      by you. It's a perfect record, and everyone (Dave Holland and Lee Konitz)
      sounds great. SOme people don't like Konitz's brittle sound, but I think
      it's part of his icy ethos.

      I should stop writing, this is just list-geekery for me. Maybe you should
      just go check out the Morton/Cook Penguin Guide to Jazz? Anything with
      (their admittedly personal) "crown" rating, probably warrants a few listens.

      ----s

    • Falcata-Galia and Tariff Records
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5, 2002
        Dear Colin;

        Where is this mute list? I wouldn't mind subscribing to it.

        Regards,

        Rudy Carrera
        Falcata-Galia and Tariff Records
        PO Box 134
        Rialto, California 92377 USA
        http://www.falcata-galia.com
        http://www.tariffrecords.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2002
          Hello

          I have asked the person that posted it.
          The list I saw it on wasn't a mute list..but the postee had passed it on
          from a mute list.
          If you get my drift.

          cheers
          Colin
          > Where is this mute list? I wouldn't mind subscribing to it.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Rudy Carrera
          > Falcata-Galia and Tariff Records
          > PO Box 134