RE: [thewire] Frank Tovey dead?

  • Mugridge, Tom
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 5, 2002
      FRANK TOVEY OBITUARY

      It is with great regret that Mute announces the news that Frank Tovey aka
      Fad Gadget died on Wednesday 3rd April 2002 at his home in London of heart
      failure. Frank had suffered from heart problems since his childhood.

      Frank Tovey will be best remembered as one of the Electronic pioneers who,
      alongside Human League, Cabaret Voltaire and The Normal, were at the
      forefront of the Electronic Movement of the late '70s/early '80s.

      Frank Tovey was the first signing to the Mute label with the release of his
      debut single, the ground breaking 'Back To Nature' in October 1979. Recorded
      using a drum machine and synthesiser, a string of classic singles followed
      including 'Ricky's Hand', 'Fireside Favourites' and 'Collapsing New People'.
      A truly unique artist, his live shows were legendary and quickly established
      Frank Tovey as one of the most exciting acts around. The shows often ended
      with Frank injuring himself from his intense performance.

      After four critically acclaimed albums, "Fireside Favourites" (1980),
      "Incontinent" (1981), "Under The Flag" (1982), and "Gag" (1984), Tovey
      dropped the Fad Gadget name and recorded a further five albums for Mute
      under his own name throughout the '80s and early '90s. He continued to
      experiment with many different styles, mixing Electronics with Rock, Punk,
      Folk and Dance Music with amazing results and is recognised as one of the
      most influential acts of the last twenty years.

      Daniel Miller - "Frank was the first artist I ever worked with on Mute , he
      made some very special and influential records and was an exceptional live
      performer.
      Frank played a big part in helping to lay the foundations of what the label
      was to become in the ensuing years, I will miss him greatly."

      He recently toured Europe with label mates Depeche Mode on the Exciter tour
      and was working on new material at the time of his death.

      Our deepest sympathyand condolences go out to his family and friends.

      This E-mail is from IPC Media Ltd whose registered office is at Kings
      Reach Tower, Stamford Street, London SE1 9LS, registered number 53626.

      The contents and any attachments to it include information that is
      private and confidential and should only be read by those persons to
      whom they are addressed. IPC Media accepts no liability for any loss
      or damage suffered by any person arising from the use of this e-mail.
      Neither IPC Media nor the sender accepts any responsibility for
      viruses and it is your responsibility to check the email and
      attachments (if any).
      No contracts may be concluded on behalf of IPC Media by means of
      e-mail communications.

      If you have received this e-mail in error, please destroy and delete
      the message from your computer.
    • Kristopher S. Handley
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5, 2002
        Some redundancies here from previous posts, but take that as indication of
        those records being essential. I am also assuming you mean "free
        improvisation" too, when you say "jazz", which may or may not be the case.

        1. Evan Parker, 50th BIRTHDAY CONCERT (Leo, awesome double cd)
        2. Dave Holland, perhaps one of his new band's albums, I think the one I
        have is PRIME DIRECTIVE; excellent group interplay, grooving, some fine
        saxophone work from Chris Potter; great mainstream jazz. I like a number of
        Holland's straightahead records on ECM from the 80s and 90s, especially the
        album TRIPLICATE with Steve Coleman and _____(?). CONFERENCE OF THE BIRDS
        is like thirty years old now, but it's totally essential, a beautiful
        record, with Anthony Braxton and Sam Rivers.
        3. Speaking of Anthony Braxton, I swear by his "classic" quartet's WILLISAU
        (QUARTET) 1991 (HatArt), which unfortunately is 4cd's, but fortunately, is
        4cd's; the group's work is just kaleidoscopic. Otherwise, I would
        unfailingly suggest the DORTMUND (1976) or PERFORMANCE (1979) sets, with
        George Lewis and Ray Anderson respectively. Both tremendous. Boring
        recommendations, I know; every Brax fan seems to say the same thing, but
        damn they're good. I might have messed up those dates, too.
        4. Paul Motian Trio. Don't know which is the most essential, but I don't
        care terribly much for the Motian on Broadway standards series (though I do
        kind of like Lee Konitz's and Joe Lovano's playing on the volume on which
        they guest...both excellent saxophonists, working out of the tradition), nor
        Motian's kind of anemic standards with the "Electric Bebop Band" (hardly
        electric...the first record is still the best). But MOTIAN IN TOKYO and
        portions of YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY HEART are beautiful. Bill
        Frisell was a total discovery to me, years ago.
        5. Speaking of Bill Frisell, I have no idea what is best record is, but THIS
        LAND is a slice of skewed and wry Americana, substituting Thelonious Monkish
        humor for kitsch. Brilliant. Also pretty good is the drumless Bill Frisell
        Quartet, who I think have a self-titled record.
        6. Frisell's playing in a drumless situation is absolutely exquisite on the
        Kenny Wheeler record ANGEL SONG (ECM), which is priceless and must be owned
        by you. It's a perfect record, and everyone (Dave Holland and Lee Konitz)
        sounds great. SOme people don't like Konitz's brittle sound, but I think
        it's part of his icy ethos.

        I should stop writing, this is just list-geekery for me. Maybe you should
        just go check out the Morton/Cook Penguin Guide to Jazz? Anything with
        (their admittedly personal) "crown" rating, probably warrants a few listens.

        ----s

      • Falcata-Galia and Tariff Records
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2002
          Dear Colin;

          Where is this mute list? I wouldn't mind subscribing to it.

          Regards,

          Rudy Carrera
          Falcata-Galia and Tariff Records
          PO Box 134
          Rialto, California 92377 USA
          http://www.falcata-galia.com
          http://www.tariffrecords.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2002
            Hello

            I have asked the person that posted it.
            The list I saw it on wasn't a mute list..but the postee had passed it on
            from a mute list.
            If you get my drift.

            cheers
            Colin
            > Where is this mute list? I wouldn't mind subscribing to it.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Rudy Carrera
            > Falcata-Galia and Tariff Records
            > PO Box 134