Re: ethnic music recommendations

  • jme3760146@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30 11:19 PM
      In a message dated 3/29/02 11:58:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      thewire@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > > I suppose I'd be more into the instrumental stuff, but any
      >
      > recommendations would be helpful.
      >
      > Gosh, there's a whole world of stuff ;^> ... the suggestions might be a
      > little more coherent (and useful to you) if you told us a bit about what
      > kind of stuff you generally listen to, so we can start closer to your
      > tastes.

      Yes, I realize now that I was a bit too vague with the question. Well, I read
      in an interview with David Jackman where he talked about being influenced by
      drone music from other cultures such as Celtic and Indian, and I was
      wondering about music along those lines. I guess I would be interested in the
      music that seemed to influence artists such as Rapoon and Voice of Eye. Of
      course, I know that the more 'traditional' ethnic music sounds nothing like
      that, but i think you get my drift. I suppose I am looking for more
      percussion/drone/ritual type music, without all the cheesy echo effects and
      watered-down treatments. Again, any recommendations would be recommended. I
      have been looking for the 'raga guide' without any success.

      thanks,

      J.