Morricone

  • stephen drage
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 26, 2002
      I'm looking for recommendations on Morricone soundtracks. I know the field
      is vast (even Morricone doesn't seem to know how many he has scored, but
      I've heard it's around 500) what do people suggest. And since I haven't
      checked the Dagored Cds compliled by the Alan Bishop (?) from Sun City Girls
      can anyone give a quick review. Finally, what do people make of his work
      from the 80s and 90s : any recommendatons there?

      thanks,

      stephen d

    • fratenaglia
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 26, 2002
        Being italian ,morricone has played a relevant part in my teenage
        years' musical education so my suggestion may be not too
        objective but as a start I would go for all the spaghetti western
        scores and for once upon a time in america , if this is too
        obvious I would purchase tha music from "La donna con la pelle
        di serpente" that catches him in an almost psychedelic mood ,
        very close to other maestros such as piero piccioni.
        80's and 90's yeah the arrangements are great but he's playing a
        sort of zen game in which he tries to reduce his "personality"in
        newer scores.
        I've seen him live last summer with an orchestra+choir=150
        elements....hell....
      • gradyfinklemyer
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 26, 2002
          I would recommend Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura, which is performed
          by Gruppo Di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza, and is one of his
          more "avant" soundtracks. I believe it was featured in The Wire's end
          of year "best" list last year. Also worth getting is Una Lucertola
          Con La Pelle Di Donna, another one from the early seventies. I don't
          know if it was ever released, but I remember the score to The
          Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion being interesting. As for
          later stuff, The Mission is good, and U-turn is nice also.
        • Jim Flannery
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 26, 2002
            gradyfinklemyer wrote:

            > I would recommend Gli Occhi Freddi Della Paura, which is performed

            That's one of my two favorites (at least, in the context of an album vs.
            married to the image); the other one's _The Thing_. I also really liked
            the soundtrack to Elio Petri's _A Quiet Place in the Country_, which I
            don't think is on a cd currently, although the VHS does seem to be
            available from Amazon for $8; I love the one customer review on Amazon,
            which says "Had the music not been so frightfully avant-garde, I might
            have enjoyed this a little more." As a soundtrack qua soundtrack,
            integrated into both visuals and sound design, it's hard to beat _Once
            Upon a Time in the West_ ... but for me, it's a bit too iconic to be
            able to hear it as music.

            > by Gruppo Di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza,

            Do check out the albums on Editions RZ and Cramps for an even more
            "outside" view of Morricone.

            Jim Flannery newgrange@...

            np: Mars, _Live NYC 1977-1978_
            nr: George P. Pelecanos, _The Big Blowdown_
          • Perfect Sound Forever
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 27, 2002
              > Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:30:27 +0000
              > From: "stephen drage" <stephendrage@...>
              >
              > I'm looking for recommendations on Morricone soundtracks. I know the field
              > is vast (even Morricone doesn't seem to know how many he has scored, but
              > I've heard it's around 500) what do people suggest. And since I haven't
              > checked the Dagored Cds compliled by the Alan Bishop (?) from Sun City Girls
              > can anyone give a quick review. Finally, what do people make of his work
              > from the 80s and 90s : any recommendatons there?

              Bishop wrote an article for us last year about Morricone soundtracks (reviewing
              many of them):
              http://www.furious.com/perfect/morricone.html

              Best,
              Jason
              --
              Perfect Sound Forever
              online music magazine
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 27, 2002
                --- In thewire@y..., Perfect Sound Forever <perfect-sound@f...> wrote:
                > Bishop wrote an article for us last year about Morricone
                soundtracks (reviewing
                > many of them):
                > http://www.furious.com/perfect/morricone.html

                Per un Pugno di Dollari (A Fistful of Dollars - 1964)
                Per Qualche Dollaro in Piu (For A Few Dollars More - 1965)

                these 2 and I think Once upon a time in the West came out on a double
                cd through Camden Classics a couple of years back

                Nice package and really cheap from what I recall
                they may be way too obvious though but Titoli is a 'kin great track
                Stevo
                Np Lost dreams Electric Prunes luvin'
              • Kraig Grady
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 27, 2002
                  For those that missed it.
                  His score to
                  Danger:Diabolik
                  has been issued by Sycodelic . Italy 2001

                  stevolende wrote:

                  > --- In thewire@y..., Perfect Sound Forever <perfect-sound@f...> wrote:
                  > > Bishop wrote an article for us last year about Morricone
                  > soundtracks (reviewing
                  > > many of them):
                  > > http://www.furious.com/perfect/morricone.html
                  >
                  > Per un Pugno di Dollari (A Fistful of Dollars - 1964)
                  > Per Qualche Dollaro in Piu (For A Few Dollars More - 1965)
                  >
                  > these 2 and I think Once upon a time in the West came out on a double
                  > cd through Camden Classics a couple of years back
                  >
                  > Nice package and really cheap from what I recall
                  > they may be way too obvious though but Titoli is a 'kin great track
                  > Stevo
                  > Np Lost dreams Electric Prunes luvin'

                  -- Kraig Grady
                  North American Embassy of Anaphoria island
                  http://www.anaphoria.com

                  The Wandering Medicine Show
                  Wed. 8-9 KXLU 88.9 fm
                • Jean-Michel Lavergne
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 15, 2004
                    Hi ! I'd like to have a good anthology of Ennio Morricone works, especially those frome the 60's. On allmusic.com, they recommend a 2CD compilation from Rhino, but it seem unavailable. Any suggestions ?
                    Thanks !

                  • Jason Witherspoon
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 15, 2004
                      At 10:30 AM -0500 12/15/04, Jean-Michel Lavergne wrote:
                      >Hi ! I'd like to have a good anthology of Ennio Morricone works,
                      >especially those frome the 60's. On allmusic.com, they recommend a
                      >2CD compilation from Rhino, but it seem unavailable. Any suggestions
                      >?
                      >Thanks !

                      _Mondo Morricone_ & _More Mondo Morricone_ are my favorite samplings.
                      Not much of the Spaghetti Western stuff, though; if that's what
                      you're after, hold out for the Rhino comp.

                      --
                      Jason Witherspoon
                      --- ---

                      Nicecast: http://64.81.51.169:8000/playlist.pls
                      (on sporadically)

                      This planet's ruled by evil hypnotists & ritual
                      murderers....
                    • Stevo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 17, 2004
                        --- In thewire@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Michel Lavergne <jmlqcca@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Hi ! I'd like to have a good anthology of Ennio Morricone works,
                        especially those frome the 60's. On allmusic.com, they recommend a
                        2CD compilation from Rhino, but it seem unavailable. Any
                        suggestions ?
                        > Thanks !

                        There was a good set of 3 Western films out on the bRitish Camden
                        DEluxe label as far as I recall. Its midprice too.
                        There was a similar thread here about a year back too. It might be
                        an idea to check the archives at the yahoo website.
                        Stevo