Brief review.. Fridge live in Manchester UK

  • drbentye@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
      Went to see Fridge last night in Manchester..

      Capitol K shared the bill and fared well despite a muddy sound. The duo (guitar/vocals and laptop) have a future if they prune some of their material back - I thought a live drummer might add a bit more feel and groove to their tunes and perhaps lift some of the burden on the computer guy.

      Fridge bashfully announced their arrival and opened with perhaps the best cut off the Happiness LP 'Five Four Child Voice' - the audience stood back at a distance, nodded throughout and clapped politely until the band asked us to move closer which made the whole thing a bit more intimate. The band were really tight throughout and the warmth of music was reflected in the way they gently led each other on.

      The highlight was a drone/song(I assume from their first LP which I don't have) which started as an extended intro that kept building and building beautiful chords and ended up running into this fantastic 30 minute (or so) piece without losing it's way once or becoming a 'jam'. Even the students stopped talking ...

      For some reason I kept on thinking of The Minutemen throughout, perhaps it was the fact that they made a great noise for a three piece, or it might have been the drummer... whatever.

      Fridge are playing the Scala tonight in London with Capitol K and Manitoba, so I'd recommend an evening out if you are in town.

      Ben
    • philT
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
        > The highlight was a drone/song(I assume from their first LP which I don't
        have) which started as an extended intro that kept building and building
        beautiful chords and ended up running into this fantastic 30 minute (or so)
        piece without losing it's way once or becoming a 'jam'. Even the students
        stopped talking ...

        I love the track that's on the Domino 02 comp attached to this month's The
        Wire - Drum Machines and Glockenspiels. Is this off the album? Reminds me a
        bit of The Necks but that's probably just the repitition.

        philT
      • Olivier Borzeix
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
          Yep it's off happiness!

          Olivier

          philT a écrit :

          > > The highlight was a drone/song(I assume from their first LP which I
          > don't
          > have) which started as an extended intro that kept building and
          > building
          > beautiful chords and ended up running into this fantastic 30 minute
          > (or so)
          > piece without losing it's way once or becoming a 'jam'. Even the
          > students
          > stopped talking ...
          >
          > I love the track that's on the Domino 02 comp attached to this month's
          > The
          > Wire - Drum Machines and Glockenspiels. Is this off the album? Reminds
          > me a
          > bit of The Necks but that's probably just the repitition.
          >
          > philT
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • John Farrar
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2002
            > Even the students stopped talking ...

            Bloody hell, they must have been good. Students with verbal diarrhoea are
            the main reason I hardly go to see live bands any more. They ruined the God
            Speed You Black Emperor gig in Leeds last year.

            John