Re: Michael Gira

  • stevolende
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 5, 2002
      --- In thewire@y..., Olivier Borzeix <oborzeix@s...> wrote:
      > > Isn't Gira now a New Orleans resident?
      >
      > well... not to my knowledge at least...
      >
      > Olivier

      I thought he'd moved down there just before his Wire cover feature or
      something
      lydia Lunch is down there too from what i recall
      Stevo
      Np Toots and the maytals 54-46was my number disc1
      love this compi -been playing it muchly muchly
      wonder what the other recent Trojan 2cds are like?
    • R. Lim
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 18, 2002
        On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, nrpo_campbell wrote:

        > Cash is a joker too - i mean, he'll ride any bandwagon going - you
        > guys might think he's cool for all that MTV unplugged crap, but

        Yeah, but at least he's been doing it since you were in your nappies. I
        mean, Dylan's electric debut at Newport '64 led to one of Cash's more
        fertile periods (he was riding shotgun on that bandwagon).

        > Nah, only JC worth digging out is those early sun rockabilly
        > recordings - his band has a great stripped-down reverbed-out sound on
        > there. Great stuff.

        Agreed that this stuff is crucial- you won't find anything more taut and
        minimal these days that isn't produced in Berlin. I'm not really sure why
        one couldn't just slap the Sun "I Walk the Line" into a Wire-centric radio
        show without putting in the requisite distancing factor of "influence."
        Would you do the same with a John Fahey tribute?

        -rob
      • R. Lim
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 18, 2002
          On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, stevolende wrote:

          > funny that considering that Sonic Youth are the current cover stars
          > although i don't think there are any NYC natives in the band

          According to the Terrastock 5 roster, Sonic Youth are from
          Massachusetts/New York. Meaning that the obligatory Thurston sit in with
          the Supreme Dicks at MASS MOCA can't be far off. Take pride in Western
          Mass!

          BTW, New York is a state of mind, as can be inferred from the great
          gnostic of the five boroughs, Billy Joel.

          -rob
        • stevolende
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 18, 2002
            --- In thewire@y..., "R. Lim" <r-lim-1@a...> wrote:
            been thinking about that prince of power connotation for years
            gi-ra prince of power

            or by the power of -FAILURE
            or sump'n
            stevo